Subsidiary of Take-Two Interactive

Founded-1998

Industry-Video games

Headquarters-New York City, New York

Key people-
Sam Houser (President)
Dan Houser (Vice President)

Employees-900+ (8 studios)

Known for Grand Theft Auto, Max Payne, L.A. Noire, Manhunt, Midnight Club, and Red Dead

Rockstar always comes up with some pretty good games, such as the Grand Theft Auto and Midnight Club series. Cool.

Meh.

On the one hand you have GTA 5 which has proven that R* can't keep a damn promise even if the company depended on it. They also can't figure out a reasonable price for items ($85,000 for a damn Smartcar)

On the other hand you have the plethora of games that were good. MC3 and MCLA, GTA San Andreas and Vice City, Bully, and L.A. Noire.

You have 3 options. Look at the present (SU), look to the past (SZ), or be torn between the two (Meh). I'm one of the guys that's torn between them.

GTA is one of the best open world games out there. Even though I don't play it much. SZ.

Cool. They've made some of the most iconic (and controversial) IP's in gaming. Plus I like GTA a little too much...

They've made some great games.

Bought down to uncool by their pathetic response to the whole "women reviewers" stupidity last year. Misogyny is always seriously uncool, and, even if many other things about Rockstar may be cool, that will always taint them for me.

Made the greatest GTA game of all time: San Andreas. Sub Zero.

Had the opportunity to make one of the best games of the current generation in GTA 5 and they blew it by making design decisons that would make EA proud. Seriously Uncool.

Balances to Uncool.

Sub Zero!

One of the coolest video game companies.

They made open world games popular with GTA.
The first time I played GTAIII, I fell in love with Rockstar games. And loved every GTA since.
Then they have Red Dead Redemption and that game was awesome.
The Midnight Club racing games were way better NFS games it was more about racing then riceing your car.
I loved all the controversy that their games had and having their games ban in some counties(Manhunt/2 being one of the most ban games ever) just makes them cooler to me.

Grand Theft Auto is one of the worst things to happen to gaming ever.

Seriously Uncool doesn't cover it.

Grand Theft Auto is one of the worst things to happen to gaming ever.

Seriously Uncool doesn't cover it.

How?
It's the game series that helped define modern sandbox games. Even if you don't like the games for whatever reason, be it the gameplay or humor it's a stretch to say that it's somehow ''one of the worst things to happen to gaming'' when it helped move a whole genre forward.

Used to be fantastic in the 3D era, GTA 3, Vice City and San Andreas, all fantastic story driven games with epic soundtracks (Vice City especially, I mean god damn) I thought quite highly of them.

GTA V was okay but it had an absolutely dreadful story, a bland map, awful radio stations and the problem with the primary focus after release being the online portion of the game. Its become cluttered with the need for content demonstrated by a younger generation, its not a bad game but its a prime example of quantity over quality, I didn't think it was very impressive and the online portion is rather embarrassing, boring and awkward, not to mention all the bizarre content they keep adding that would be more suited to Saints Row and the need to live-stream with hackers. Plus the community is unpleasant to say the least.

GTA IV I enjoyed, they shipped a quality game with two DLC expansion packs and that was it, all of them were great and memorable and I still go back to them.

The Max Payne series is great, so was Red Dead Redemption.

Nowadays, I don't really like them, they just aren't as cool as when they were a smaller, more professional company.

Some of the products are epic.... but I can't forgive them for not making the most of GTA:V. And other than GTA, and RDR, I don't much care for the games.

I'm going cool, which is somewhat generous.

Well, they made my favorite game ever (GTA IV) and Midnight Club Los Angeles which was very fun despite its issues. That would get a sub zero.

They also made me want to rip out my hair with how awful multiplayer is. Microtransactions, removing fun glitches, removing FUN themed weapons from stores after the event is over, overpricing EVERYTHING, making body armor deplete from non-bullet impacts (Falling off a bike, car, slamming into a low object while parachuting; Yes, this is in singleplayer as well), making gameplay revolve ONLY around money (Or the lack of), and making it take forever just to get weapon camos (600 PLAYER kills PER WEAPON just for a blue camo?) Seriously? Seriously uncool.

I'm going with meh because I can't go to one side.

I like how people are criticising Rockstar Games for bad stuff specifically about Grand Theft Auto. That's not strictly fair. Rockstar North (formerly DMA Design) actually write, create and develop Grand Theft Auto and RN is a distinct subsidiary of Rockstar Games. Rockstar Games, itself a mere subsidiary of Take-Two Interactive, 'only' publish it.

The obvious point that a parent company is responsible for the output of a subsidiary is duly noted but you're criticising Lincoln for Mercury cars being rubbish.

Same applies for praise GTA receives.

Cool. Amazing dev group considering they developed an IP out of nothing, let down by some bad choices. Don't understand what people have against game devs though.

One of the better publishers and developers out there, imho. Solid cool. Would be SZ if they weren't ignoring PC gaming like they do.

Back