• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Antarctica
Controls set for heart of sun
GTP_RogerTheHors
Nominated by @Dagger311

1928-present Sliced Bread

bread.jpg

In 1928, a full-page newspaper ad announced the first presliced loaf of bread. It included instructions: 1) “Open wrapper at one end”; 2) “Pull out pin”; 3) “Remove as many slices as desired.” At the time, as everyone knew, cut bread quickly went stale. Anticipating consumers’ fears, Otto Rohwedder, a Missouri-based inventor, inserted a U-shaped pin at both ends of his presliced loaf to hold the bread together inside the resealable bag, creating an illusion of wholeness that signified freshness.

Rohwedder was careful to take his customers into account in other ways as well, interviewing women to find out exactly what they wanted, down to their preferred slice thickness (half an inch). Then he teamed up with a baker named Frank Bench who supplied — literally and figuratively — the dough. The product they created became a runaway hit. By 1930, sliced bread had spread to almost every town in America.

Factory-made loaves, sliced or unsliced, were typically softer than bakery loaves, to make them seem as if they’d just come out of the oven. “It hit a tipping point where bread became so soft that it was almost impossible to slice it at home,” says Aaron Bobrow-Strain, author of a social history, “White Bread.” Consumers loved to make sandwiches with precision-cut squares of Wonder Bread, and this kind of loaf came to stand for the epitome of convenience. By the 1950s, people were praising their favorite inventions as “the best thing since sliced bread.”

Why was this innovation so captivating? According to Bobrow-Strain, in the early 20th century, Americans ate about one-third of their calories in the form of bread; this small innovation touched everyone. “The sliced loaf,” he says, “becomes a kind of small, edible promise of a better world.”​

Sorry about the delayed post. Family stuff.

Sub-Zero. It's so good, people use it as a benchmark for other good things.

"Well, that's the best thing since sliced bread!

Saying that sliced bread is the greatest thing ever is a bit of an overstatement. Anything could be the best thing ever. Uncool.

You rarely can use the end bits because they have been sliced too close making them the thickness of ham or they are too large to fit in the toaster. Sometimes the loaf itself is too high and if you turn it sideways too long to fit in the toaster.

Sliced bread... usually not toaster friendly, so meh.

"The greatest thing since sliced bread."

What's so special about sliced bread? You got bread, you got a knife- slice the 🤬-ing thing!

... and get on with your life."

Toast is great. Convenience is there. But nutrition could be better and it's hella overrated. Uncool.

A big, fat meh from me.

I love bread, having it come sliced is nice, but there is nothing cool about it. This is like asking if a a tin can is cool; it's a great, practical invention but it doesn't have an ounce of cool about it.

I have no issue ripping my bread apart like a Neanderthal and eating it.

SU

Tuna and egg sandwich, cheese and bacon sandwich, chicken mayo sandwich, bacon bacon bacon sandwich with plum sauce ... SZ all the way .. :drool:

The question is; would I want it plain or toasted?
That would be cool and uncool, respectively.

Back