how-to-drive-a-ford-model-t-photo-278095-s-429x262.jpg

Engines:
177 ci (2.9L) I4
Power: 20 hp
Torque: 83 lb-ft.
Weight: 540 kg
Transmission: 2-speed planetary gear manual
Drivetrain: Front engine, rear wheel drive
Body Styles: 2-door touring, 3-door touring, 4-door touring, 0-door roadster, 1-door roadster, 2-door roadster, 2-door roadster pickup, 2-door coupe, 2-door coupelet, 4-door town car, 4-door c-cab wagon, 2 (center)-door sedan, 2-door sedan, 4-door sedan
Additional Info: "It was the first globally produced car."​
I tried to get all of the body styles in here excluding coachbuilds, so here we go...
1909-ford-model-t-touring-photo-239906-s-1280x782.jpg

pix_Ford_Model_T_Touring_1912.jpg

1927-ford-model-t-touring-13313.jpg

5992350316_4b13d1efe6_o.jpg

e8f7637cfbf9b602b2860aa4ba090e0c.jpg

5012726699_ab48e2286d.jpg

96293_Side_Profile_Web.jpg

1926-ford-42526.jpg

1925-ford-modelt-pickup-truck-for-sale-from-the-bay-city-motor-company_3fa19.jpg

faf65217fff40e9bde4b5b88b17a0fbb.wix_mp_1024

112784_Side_Profile_Web.JPG

15-Ford_Mdl_T_Couplet-DV-08_AI_01.jpg

09-Ford-Model-T_Towncar_DV_08_AI_01.jpg

116255_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

1925.ford.model.t.arp.750pix.jpg

1927_Ford_Model_T_Tudor_Sedan_3.jpg

1927-ford-model-t-4-door-sedan-13310.jpg

It may have been the first mass-produced car, but that's all it's really credited for as it did practically naff-all else for the motor industry at the time. It's basically just Generic Old Car #438,951.

Uncool.

What do we call a car that single-handledly built the conception of "mass-produced automobile"? What do we call a car that stood tall for more than 20 years in production, despite the world around it moving at high speeds? What do we call a car that is quite simply legendary in every single historical aspect?

Seriously Uncool? I seriously hope you're joking. It's not meant to be a driver's car these days anway, that time is long gone, this is meant to act as a reminder as to how Ford changed the game forever. I am not afraid to admit that the Model T deserves a fridge, simply because of its value as a historical piece.

First mass produced car, practically put an entire nation (world?) on wheels, and made the car something besides a toy for rich folks. Cheap, durable, reliable, and surprisingly good off road.

Fun Fact: The car "available in any color you want as long as it is black" was originally not available in black. Only grey, green, blue, and red.

Easy Sub Zero.

Inb4OMG20hpfroma2.9Americancarssuck

In itself, interesting but not cool. Also holding up traffic is never cool, regardless of whether it's a sportscar on a speedbump, a broken down Alfa or a century-old vehicle.

The most significant car in history, but there is nothing cool about that car or even driving it.

Easily uncool.

Wikipedia seems to mention rather a lot that the mass production assembly line for automobiles was introduced by Oldsmobile before Ford, and that their Oldsmobile Curved Dash was actually the first mass produced car.

Either way, fascinating though I find that kind of thing, it doesn't make the Model T that cool as a car, though it does seem to have a certain charm. M'eh doesn't seem fair, so it gets a cool from me, but really only just.

SZ for what it did by making the car available for the mass population, but not cool in any other way.

Even though this certainly is not a useful car in today's standards, you'll always be the talk if people see you driving down in one of these, especially since the car is now over 100 years old.

Cool.

Olds may have been first to do it with cars, but the Ford Motor Company turned assembly line production into a science.

Hell, assembly lines existed before either Ford or Olds did them... but Ford's system was incredible. One car every 90 minutes... and production costs cut so low that the guys working on the line could buy their own Model T with just four months' pay. (Forgive me... I had to research this stuff a while back for an article).

So, yes... the system was revolutionary. As with Edison... it didn't matter who actually did it first... just who did it best. And Ford did it best.

-

Unfortunately, we're being asked to vote on the Model T. Not the assembly line. And while it's a classic car that was rugged and tremendously cheap, I have trouble seeing it as any cooler than a pack mule.

Important car, undoubtedly. Now imagine what you'd look like driving down the street in one. Uncool.

Unless you're reading this somehow in 1908, in which case you're probably the only person in your town with a car and therefore a total badass.

Important car, undoubtedly. Now imagine what you'd look like driving down the street in one. Uncool.

Unless you're reading this somehow in 1908, in which case you're probably the only person in your town with a car and therefore a total badass.
So, SZ in 1915, SU in 2015

Basically (though I went uncool rather than SU). And since we're in 2015, it's unfortunately the latter. I'd love to drive one, but it's not realistically a cool car.
I remember watching Top Gear Greatest Road Trip where they tried to park a Model T in Monaco. They looked like complete idiots in it.

One of very few universally recognisable antique/vintage cars and an unmistakeable historical piece of engineering. Regardless of how somebody would appear when driving one, the cars themselves will almost always make heads turn for the right reasons.

Cool.

Now imagine what you'd look like driving down the street in one.

With a big freakin' grin on your face. Having fun trying to park the thing. And trying to make it stop. And to make it work in general. And the people that sees you do exactly the same, they point and laugh. It's an awesome car to drive around and being driven around in. It's an awesome car to see. It's just awesome in general, way more awesome today than in 1915. Been there done that. I'd leave my work right now if it was a condition to take another ride in one.

Yeah, without this car the world of cars might be pretty different today but honestly I don't really care about it. Always thought it didn't look as good as other cars of the era, and I wouldn't know how to drive one. I'd prefer the Model A. And they were only sold in black. As many as these were sold, imagine how many times people mistook somebody else's Model T for their own.

Meh.

Yeah, without this car the world of cars might be pretty different today

Unlikely, I'll happily be corrected but I don't think there was anything revolutionary about this car that wouldn't have happened through natural evolution in the industry anyway.

Back