Engines:
28.5L I4
Power: 300 hp
Torque: 1384 lb-ft.
Weight: 1650 kg
Transmission: 4-speed manual
Drivetrain: Front engine, rear wheel drive
Racing Class: Land speed record car
Additional Info: "Driven by chain, broke land speed record by going over 200 kph in 1911. Later tests came to a top speed of 235 kph, or 146 mph. Two were built, one was destroyed, the other was recently restored."​
354821.jpg

rp_-_fiat_s76_19_of_21.jpg

fiat-s76-side-web-res-only.jpg

15903452081_aecb0dc573_b.jpg

15719379979_1d5876cd74_o.jpg

Gloriously ridiculous. High cool.

Just imagine trying to put down 1384 lbft of torque through those back tyres :eek:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this car is the subject of the documentary "The Beast of Turin".

Watch it if it's out; I loved the preview trailer but have not kept on top of things so I don't know if it's been released yet.

It was the documentary "The Beast of Turin" that introduced me to this insane car. It is just that; mental. A 28.5 Inline-4 engine is a mechanical feat that few have attempted, much less in the 1910. It's a true example of Italian mentality, where common sense takes a back seat to everything else. It may not be pretty, but is a true mark in history. Just for the insanity value alone, this car deserves a fridge. Although the flames of its engine may burn said fridge down...

Sub Zero. It went 140 mph in 1911, which is awesome And 140 mph is still by no means slow. Also, it has a huge engine with insane torque. And I like that. With such narrow tires, that would be fun to watch. Also, it's called the Beast of Turin.

I'd give one of my testicles to drive something like this. On a beach, with the only piece of safety equipment being safety goggles.

High cool.

Sub Zero. This car is the exellent showcase of the iIalian competitiveness, which also manifested itself in their Schneider Trophy aircrafts.

Any car designed exclusively for a land speed record is seriously uncool.
I can respect this, but that's also 105 years in the past. I think the Bugatti Veyron is similarly seriously uncool, but it would be cool 100 years from now, just because it's notable and kind of ridiculous. Like the Fiat here.

To me, coolness is often very temporal.

I couldn't watch the video until I got home... MY GOD... :drool:

You don't get called "La Bestia di Torino" for nothing... This car is completely INSANE.

Subzero. No question about it.

Back