GTP Cool Wall: 1929 Hungerford Rocket Car Prototype/"Shirley Lois Moon Girl"

1929 Hungerford Rocket Car Prototype/"Shirley Lois Moon Girl"

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I voted meh. While it was in the late 20's, the idea was okay and going over 70mph with rocket, seemed like a nice idea, perhaps an introduction on breaking speed records. However this is one of the cars from teh 20's and 30's I'd look like an idiot in the present days, with the flames, for me into SZ. The looks of it got me in SU. I was undecided so, meh would have been like "It's amazing how this thing existed at that time. Sub-Zero, however in these days, it looks like bleh so, it's seriously uncool. 50/50, going with meh."

DOES.NOT.COMPUTE.

Have you heard of the word, "opinion"? You may think it's awesome, but I don't like it one damn bit. But I respect it because well, it was the 20's and the 30's, it was a kinda crazy idea and has worked. And reaching about 70MPH, it's an achievement.

Have you heard of the word, "opinion"? You may think it's awesome, but I don't like it one damn bit. But I respect it because well, it was the 20's and the 30's, it was a kinda crazy idea and has worked. And reaching about 70MPH, it's an achievement.

"Liking" it and recognizing it's achievements are worlds appart of saying that it looks bleh. I warantee you that if you saw this thing cruise past you with a 20-foot-long flame bursting from it's rear, you'd say anything but "bleh".

Don't get me wrong, that thing spewing flames, no doubt it's cool but I meant in general. It was the 20's, if those flames with the rocket engine/fuel failed or got some problems, that wouldn't end well. Though it loosm good for one thing after all - alternate way to a BBQ or heat up some marshmellow.

"Liking" it and recognizing it's achievements are worlds appart of saying that it looks bleh. I warantee you that if you saw this thing cruise past you with a 20-foot-long flame bursting from it's rear, you'd say anything but "bleh".

I'd probably say it's stupid and laugh. Yeah that does sound like it is a world away from bleh.

You driving it just makes you look like you're driving the Oscar Mayer Weinermobile. Uncool.

Safety issues aside, you'd look like a steampunk enthusiast driving this.

"If you end up looking like a steampunk enthusiast driving that thing, you're not doing it right." - 'Ottensian' dieselpunk enthusiasts

As a piece of design or engineering history, then it's very cool. But as a car in a Cool Wall poll... nah!

Can this thing even be steered ... and not tip over???

That pic in the OP makes it look massive. In reality it wasn't all that big:

fig14.jpg

Hang on, a car made of WOOD and CARDBOARD powered by a ROCKET?! Eek!

Also seriously uncool to an unprecedented degree. This is so unbelievably stupid that it's not so bad it's good, but so bad it's truly awful.

I think this is totally cool. But then, -- living with one of the Hungerford descendants today -- I often get the anecdotal back-story on Dan Hungerford. While a bit eccentric, he was truly a forward-thinker of the day, and quite creative/industrious -- all traits which continue to trickle down through the Hungerford gene pool which is now spread out across the US. Absolutely sub-zero.

Last edited:
Back