GTP Cool Wall: 1929 Hungerford Rocket Car Prototype/"Shirley Lois Moon Girl"

  • Thread starter Thread starter White & Nerdy
  • 57 comments
  • 10,529 views

1929 Hungerford Rocket Car Prototype/"Shirley Lois Moon Girl"


  • Total voters
    98
  • Poll closed .
Abstaining on this one. (I think this should be an option honestly. Perhaps subsequent cool wall polls can have this option)
 
Isn't not voting the same thing as voting for abstained? It's not like you have to vote in every cool wall post.
 
I voted meh. While it was in the late 20's, the idea was okay and going over 70mph with rocket, seemed like a nice idea, perhaps an introduction on breaking speed records. However this is one of the cars from teh 20's and 30's I'd look like an idiot in the present days, with the flames, for me into SZ. The looks of it got me in SU. I was undecided so, meh would have been like "It's amazing how this thing existed at that time. Sub-Zero, however in these days, it looks like bleh so, it's seriously uncool. 50/50, going with meh."
 
Seriously Uncool. A literal pocket rocket on wheels.
 
DOES.NOT.COMPUTE.

Have you heard of the word, "opinion"? You may think it's awesome, but I don't like it one damn bit. But I respect it because well, it was the 20's and the 30's, it was a kinda crazy idea and has worked. And reaching about 70MPH, it's an achievement.
 
Have you heard of the word, "opinion"? You may think it's awesome, but I don't like it one damn bit. But I respect it because well, it was the 20's and the 30's, it was a kinda crazy idea and has worked. And reaching about 70MPH, it's an achievement.

"Liking" it and recognizing it's achievements are worlds appart of saying that it looks bleh. I warantee you that if you saw this thing cruise past you with a 20-foot-long flame bursting from it's rear, you'd say anything but "bleh".
 
Don't get me wrong, that thing spewing flames, no doubt it's cool but I meant in general. It was the 20's, if those flames with the rocket engine/fuel failed or got some problems, that wouldn't end well. Though it loosm good for one thing after all - alternate way to a BBQ or heat up some marshmellow.
 
"Liking" it and recognizing it's achievements are worlds appart of saying that it looks bleh. I warantee you that if you saw this thing cruise past you with a 20-foot-long flame bursting from it's rear, you'd say anything but "bleh".

I'd probably say it's stupid and laugh. Yeah that does sound like it is a world away from bleh.
 
You driving it just makes you look like you're driving the Oscar Mayer Weinermobile. Uncool.
 
Rockets are cool.

Unfortunately, the rest of the car is so awful that it negates the coolness of the rockets and then some.

The coolest thing it could do is catch fire. Therefore, it is the polar opposite of Sub Zero.
 
Safety issues aside, you'd look like a steampunk enthusiast driving this.

"If you end up looking like a steampunk enthusiast driving that thing, you're not doing it right." - 'Ottensian' dieselpunk enthusiasts
 
As a piece of design or engineering history, then it's very cool. But as a car in a Cool Wall poll... nah!
 
The second I read it shot fire, sub zero.
 
Can this thing even be steered ... and not tip over???

That pic in the OP makes it look massive. In reality it wasn't all that big:

fig14.jpg
 
Hang on, a car made of WOOD and CARDBOARD powered by a ROCKET?! Eek!

Also seriously uncool to an unprecedented degree. This is so unbelievably stupid that it's not so bad it's good, but so bad it's truly awful.
 
I think this is totally cool. But then, -- living with one of the Hungerford descendants today -- I often get the anecdotal back-story on Dan Hungerford. While a bit eccentric, he was truly a forward-thinker of the day, and quite creative/industrious -- all traits which continue to trickle down through the Hungerford gene pool which is now spread out across the US. Absolutely sub-zero.
 
Last edited:
Back