Engines:
1.5L Supercharged I4 (Frazer Nash)
Power: 110 hp
Torque: Unknown
Weight: 1050 kg
Transmission: 4-speed manual
Drivetrain: Front engine, rear wheel drive
Body Styles: 2-door roadster
Additional Info: "The Squire 1500 was a British sports car manufactured between 1935 and 1939. Ten cars were built in total, and they cost as much as a Bugatti when new. The Squire featured an advanced iron block double overhead cam racing engine designed and built by British Anzani and fitted with a Roots-type supercharger designed by David Brown.​
The preselector gearbox allowed for quick and smooth gearchanges without the need for synchromesh or a manually operated clutch, though there was a third pedal used to change gears. More about the gearbox can be found on Wikipedia under Wilson Preselector Gearbox.

The brakes on this car are 15.5 inch magnesium alloy drum brakes, which yielded excellent stopping power while keeping unsprung weight to a minimum. The suspension on the car was fairly simple, with a beam axle at the front and live axle at the rear mounted to semi elliptical leaf springs and friction dampers all around.

The car being polled here is the only one of the 10 production cars to be fitted with a Corsica body and was built in 1937."
1028308.jpg

1937_Squire_15003.jpg

1937_Squire_15009.jpg

squire--.jpg

1937_Squire_15008.jpg

954179.jpg

1937_Squire_15006.jpg

squire-------.jpg

1937_Squire_15007.jpg

Beautiful to look at. Nicer than any Bugatti of the period, IMO.

But. Any that survive are likely to be trailer queens or museum pieces, so have ceased to be vehicles. Meh.

The tool kit is pretty neat.

Other than that it is a concours car. Bought as art and not as a car. Uncool.

But. Any that survive are likely to be trailer queens or museum pieces, so have ceased to be vehicles. Meh.
There's only one that was ever built, and it is indeed a museum piece. It's in full working order, but it's not driven very often.

I admit that I find the fact that it's a museum piece a bit of a knock against it. But having seen this car in person, I can safely say that it's one of those few cars, like the Aston Martin DB5, that just makes me want nothing more than to drive it. It's stunningly beautiful, yet the engineering is equally breathtaking. It's tiny, much smaller than you might expect, and it reminds me of an MX-5 in some respects. I think it's cool, but misses out on SZ due to it's value and rarity and the implications they have on the life of the car.

Really? In 1937 this looks normal, now it looks like something from a museum.
These were normal in 1937:

4259206632_dd9bcd9569.jpg

1937-1938-ford-6.jpg

They had 21 and 85 bhp, respectively. 110 bhp from a 1.5 was as crazy then as 500 bhp from a 2 litre would be today. Imagine if Mazda built a one-off MX-5 with a 500 bhp supercharged engine, dual clutch gearbox, and a functional racing car body also designed to be extremely pretty. That's the Squire in 1937.

Last edited:
I keep popping back in to have another look at the pictures... if you haven't looked at the additional pictures, you should... the dashboard alone is a work of art, never mind the engine.

Aesthetics are a matter of personal choice, but if you don't think this is beautiful, you have no taste :P

The thirties had most of the very best designs (lovely lovely art deco), but most of them are hyper-rare coachbuilds. The fifties through to the early seventies had some spectacular stuff, mainly on GT cars or what today we would call sports prototypes. After that good car design became a more subtle thing, with less stuff one would actively gawp at and more that one would just admire.

Back