1947 Convair Model 118 Prototype nominated by @Adamgp
3425436.jpg

Body Style:
2 Door Coupe
Engine: Car - 44 c.i. (0.7L) I4, Plane - 7.1L Flat 6
Power Output: Car - 25 HP, Plane - 190 HP
Transmission: 3 Speed Manual
Drivetrain: Rear Engine, Rear Wheel Drive
Additional Information: Only 2 were made. Unit cost was $1500. Plane bits were fully detachable. Both models made crashed, but they both had successful flights prior to the crash.

I imagine that this is what aerial drones performing car deliveries will look like in the future. With slightly more grace than a flying AMC Matador.

Sub Zero.

It's a flying car that looks like an actual car. Not like a puddle jumper airplane that had an accident on the taxiway.

Wow... That's definitely weird.

Not sure if I should vote SZ because there's an airplane on top, or SU because there's a friggin airplane on top!

Seriously Uncool. I never got the point of plane/boat-cars as they always seem to fail at both being a car and a boat/plane, which isn't cool in the slightest.

If something like this were designed today, it would be pretty boring. But since this looks like it was taken from a universe where everyone is spies, Sub Zero.

I guarantee you'd never forget a flight in this. Probably because you tend to remember the times you almost die.

There's also something to be said about these experimental modes of transport. Would you really want to live in a world where this concept was never concieved?

Stupid idea. Must've weighed well over two tons, so driving on the road was slow, and flying had to be slow as well because it's a plane carrying a car.

Buuuuut it gets points for the engineering that went into it.

Uncool.

It sucks as a car, it sucks as a plane...

It doesnt know what it wants to be...

MEH...

Imagine you have to find parking at the mall...
Or taking off, you would be the laugh stock of every other proper airplane...

UNCOOL...

The more i talk about it...
Lets just stop here...

Did it crash as a car? Or did it crash as an aircraft operating on the ground...

What happens when a Cessna crashes into some weird little car? This I suppose.

Sub-Zero. Just kidding, seriously uncool.

Did it crash as a car? Or did it crash as an aircraft operating on the ground...

Actually, only the first prototype crashed in flight due to pilot error. They didn't put enough fuel in before take off. The car was totaled, but the wing part was reused on a 2nd car.

Here are a few pictures of the wings and car separated:

4588016939_d756b5dde6_z.jpg

4588017633_d3fcfe5459_z.jpg

Back