QDHrHrQ.jpg

Bodies: 2-door coupe, 2-door spider
Engine: 1.5L flat-4
Transmission: 4-speed Manual
Drivetrain: Mid Engine, Rear Wheel Drive
Power Output: 108 HP

Note that the man pictured is James Dean with his personal 550

Last edited:
Meh. Doesn't really appeal to me, never cared for that flat, floaty roadster style cars like this.

IMG_20140406_073214.jpg

Here it is! Kind of a replica, anyway :lol:.

Edit, dammit, wrong photo...

Double edit: Right photo, I just had a brain fart. That was the only Vintage Porsche there.

I'm tempted to vote Uncool because it's so damn overrated and this thread will be filled with references to that infamous accident, including members whose parents weren't even born yet when it occurred. Blah.

However, I'm a fan of Mille Miglia cars, and it's historically significant on its own merits. Oldschool roadsters like this are classy, and old Porsches are Cool by default.

Last edited:
Seeing a Brazilian-built replica parked up on a London street last month gave me a good idea of how sublime these 550s look from almost any angle. Simple, yet elegant.

Replica or not, this thing should grab most people's attention for all the best reasons. And because it's so synonymous with historical open-road racing.

image.jpg

James *****n Dean, don't need to say any more than that. The fact that it killed him just makes it even cooler.

It's a race car for the road, but it doesn't look all macho and aggressive. It just looks perfect.

I'm tempted to vote Uncool because it's so damn overrated and this thread will be filled with references to that infamous accident, including members whose parents weren't even born yet when it occurred. Blah.

However, I'm a fan of Mille Miglia cars, and it's historically significant on its own merits. Oldschool roadsters like this are classy, and old Porsches are Cool by default.
What accident?

Replicas, replicas, replicas.

Cobras suffer from the same problem. Too many replicas.

Is this car exempt? Hmmm... Not sure.

For some reason I really don't like the way it looks. Would give it uncool but its racing pedigree drags it up to Meh.

Even without the Dean connection, it's still SZ for me. Saw an actual one this summer, and could not get over the size and the details. Such an awesomely cool car, the type that nobody would say anything negative about if they saw you drive by. Sweet 👍

SVX
Gorgeous looks + 1950s sports car + light weight + European = Sub zero. And this car doesn't prove that statement otherwise.

Fixed, same statement for this car. 👍

Replicas, replicas, replicas.

Cobras suffer from the same problem. Too many replicas.

Is this car exempt? Hmmm... Not sure.

If you see a 550 99 out of a 100 times it is a replica.

But still, it has that oldschool racer vibe.

Cool.

Sub-Zero. I consider James Dean to be right up there with Steve McQueen in terms of old school cool, so that really helps the car's image. Plus it's just a fantastic design and oozes appeal.

Back