GTP Cool Wall: 1955 Jaguar D-Type (race car)

• Thread starter Jahgee
  • 52 comments

1955 Jaguar D-Type (race car)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jahgee

(Banned)
United States
New York
Jahgee1124
1955 Jaguar D-Type (race car) nominated by @cbarbosa
m8o5u1.jpg

Bodies: 2-Seat Roadster
Racing Class: Sports Car Racing S 5.0
Engine: 3.8L Straight 6
Power Output: 289 HP
Transmission: 4-Speed Manual (Synchromesh)
Drivetrain: Front Engine, Rear Wheel Drive

Seriously uncool

Yes i dare go that route.

Why?
Because no common mortal can drive this car... you would have to be some sort of God to drive it...

Any common mortal driving this car would look so out of place... not cool

This is a car for the Gods...

... i didnt know such a car even existed...

Seriously uncool

Yes i dare go that route.

Why?
Because no common mortal can drive this car... you would have to be some sort of God to drive it...

Any common mortal driving this car would look so out of place... not cool

This is a car for the Gods...

... i didnt know such a car even existed...

Did you seriously vote this SU?

Wow. I ain't even mad.

I want to vote Seriously Uncool, you know... race car, but it's a D-Type. I'm very conflicted with this one.

I always thought the shark like wing looked silly any time growing up and reading about race cars, oh and the fact it's a race car version is SU.

Not quite as cool as the XKSS (or whatever) we polled a couple months ago, or a Porsche 550, but still an easy Sub-Zero. The fin is awesome, and so are old racecars.

Whenever I see this car, I see it as a car that won a race that ultimately killed 84 people.

True, but it wasn't the car that killed them...

Last edited:
Typically, I'd vote race cars uncool/seriously uncool. But cars from this era transcend the race/road car argument.

From an engineering perspective, they are typically developed from road cars (or were the basis for future road cars), and the differences between the versions are very narrow.

From an aesthetic perspective, there are a number of cars from this period that are simply the pinnacle of design.

Even if you know nothing about it's race history (3 Le Mans 24H victories, including taking 5 of the top 6 places in '57), or it's innovative design (aluminium monocoque, innovative aerodynamics) or its iconic 3.8l straight 6 (which sounds utterly gorgeous), the D-Type is just achingly beautiful. The lines, the stance, the way the rear wheels sit in the arches, the wheel design... it's just perfect.

Last edited:
One of the most recognizable cars there is, with that rounded nose and tail fin. It was part of one of the great periods of sportscar racing, the 1950s, which contained some of the classiest race cars the world had ever seen.

Despite its association with the 1955 Le Mans disaster, it has always been one of the coolest cars ever made.

Sub-Zero

I honestly don't think they're pretty from the front (I've already used the Espurr analogy with the XKSS and 'catfish' also springs to mind). But it still has that unmistakable profile along with the trademark fin topped off with a commendable racing history.

Cool-ish.

Back