• Poll closed .
United States
Orange County, NY
GTP_GT916
Nii916
1958 Chevrolet Impala nominated by @Dagger311
proxy.php

Engines:
235 ci (3.9L) I6 (Blue Flame 235), 283 ci (4.6L) V8 (283 Turbo Fire), 348 ci (5.7L) V8 (W-series Turbo Thrust)
Power: 235: 145 hp; 283: 170 hp; 283 Fuel Injection: 250 hp; 348: 250 hp; 340 Super Turbo Thrust: 280 hp
Torque: 235: 215 lb-ft.; 283: 275 lb-ft.; 283 Fuel Injection: 305 lb-ft.; 348: 355 lb-ft.; 348 Super Turbo Thrust: 355 lb-ft.
Weight: 235: 1569; 283 & 348: 1619 kg
Transmission: 3-speed manual, 4-speed manual, 2-speed automatic
Drivetrain: Front engine, rear wheel drive
Body Styles: 2-door hardtop, 2-door convertible
Additional Info: "The Impala was introduced in 1958 and positioned as the top-of-the-line Bel Air.

It was available in two different body styles and had the Impala script, insignia, and crossed flag emblems on the front of the hood, ribbed body sill panels, large chrome air scoops ahead of the rear wheels on the fenders, a competition style deep two spoke steering wheel with Impala medallions, and Impala script on the dash.

It also featured six taillights, which gave it a distinct look over the other Chevys and would also become its trademark.

The 1958 Impala helped Chevrolet regain the number one production spot in this recession year."​
1958impala2drht083110.jpg

proxy.php

1213_12_low_res.jpg

1958_Chevrolet-Impala.jpg

1958-Impala-Convertible-BJ-198k-3.jpg

1958-Impala-Convertible-BJ-198k-2.jpg

1958%20impala%20convertible%20for%20sale.%20026.jpg

1958-Chevrolet-Impala-348-Convertible_01.jpg

Curator's Comments: Sorry for posting this set of polls late. I was busy during the day and just not in the mood once I got home. :indiff:

INB4 Gangster rap/latin rap post, whatever.

And if there's something about American cars that i prefer over anywhere else, this might be one of the reasons.

I do like the style of a lot of '50s American cars, but this is waaaay too chintzy. I'm sure you'd be quite the man about town if you owned one of these in Cuba, but in the UK you'd look like a complete and utter berk.

For those who say the car has way too much chrome, you must remember the era of this Chevy. Chrome was normal on most American cars, and car brands waged war amongst themselves to see who could create the coolest car possible. Needless to say, the Chevy is still a classy car, it'll turn all the heads, and it gave Chevy the top spot in the year of recession.

Of course, it is a very cool car. I'll risk it in fact and say it's sub-zero, simply because that blue car looks incredible, it's a time capsule from the glorious 50's...

Disgustingly bloated and overstyled. Even restored to brand new examples look like 15 year old Lincolns with collapsed air suspensions; and with the loveliness of the X-Frame there is no guarantee at any given time that you'll be able to open the doors when parked or that the doors will stay closed if you hit a bump. It's shocking that this was what GM put together as the followup to the Tri-Fives.

A design from the wrong side of the 50's. Overdone and not so pretty. Also. Just like the previous polled Bel Air/150/210, there are far too many of these at car shows. And that just isn't cool.

In the 50's these were the most technological and beautiful cars ever made to the eyes of an average person

Cool. Only because it made the '67 impala possible.

I agree, cool. Though how did it make the '67 Impala possible? What about the '59-'66 Impalas?

The '58 used to have a bad reputation of being the restyling mistake after the '55-'57 classic Chevy's, but it has stood the test of time. Just about any American car that's more than 45 years old is cool in my book.

Before I answer, can somebody explain to me why I see so many 1957 Chevys but can't recall any 1958's?

Because 58 Impalas are way more expensive than 57 Bel Airs.

I checked my Flickr to be sure, I've spotted dozens of 1957 Chevies and not one 1958 of any kind. This suggests to me that the styling wasn't well received and so 1958's got scrapped while 1957's got kept and restored. So long as it's just a styling issue and not build quality, I'd say guys currently driving a 1958 are cooler than guys in a 1957. Which would make this sub zero over the just cool 1957 due to rarity.

Before I answer, can somebody explain to me why I see so many 1957 Chevys but can't recall any 1958's?

They weren't near as popular as the tri-fives and they did not make as many. I've also heard that most of the parts on them did not interchange between the 58, 55-57, and the totally different 59 so they were kind of misfits. Not an easy restoration.

I went with cool. First year for the a big block Chevy, cool styling (love the vents above the rear window), and you don't see many of them. I still prefer the '59's though

How can a car with a "super turbo thrust" engine option be anything but sub zero !?

Hope the guy in marketing who came up with that name received a nice bonus.

There is only one cool impala in my book and it's the one that usually shows up to mow down 90s gangsta rappers. I kid it's a 60s one I find cool.

Latest Posts

Back