Engines:
1.0L I4 (Nissan C)
Power: 34 hp
Torque: 48 lb-ft.
Weight: 810 kg
Transmission: 4-speed manual
Drivetrain: Front engine, rear wheel drive
Body Styles: 2-door roadster
Additional Info: "Only 20 examples of the S211 were built, making the S211 the rarest of all Datsun models."​
datsuns211side.jpg

images

datsuns211dash.jpg

Datsun_S211_001.JPG

It's elegant, oh so elegant... Even if it does look like it apes American cars of the 1950's, you can't argue with good looks. The last picture doesn't really do the car any favours, it looks too plain. The first picture is where it's at, because that two-tone paintjob really brings the design foward. The rest isn't that bad either.

I'll give it a solid cool, mainly because it's not tied to any annoying trend, and it can turn heads without needing any special reputation.

Meh.

Looks like an actual replica of Noddy's car.

Funny you should say that...

rxvm0w3zh1.jpg

I'd say this is even more accurate for that.

Main photo in the OP shows an SPL212. A slightly larger, LHD '60s model with more than 14 times as many examples having been built primarily for export (also steel-bodied rather than fibreglass). Though with few cosmetic differences.

This one is little more than a Japanese museum piece with odd proportions. Uncool.

Last edited:
Enough curb appeal to warrant a Cool. Just hope nobody watches as you struggle to get up to speed and merge with traffic as you're leaving.

Nice looking roadster. Looking at one makes me want to drive it to Goodwood to a sunny Revival with the wind in my hair.

A Datsun would typically be cool, however it's rarity and twee looks puts it somewhere in the middle. This would be a perfect example of something that I'd vote "meh" on if I thought it was a valid option, but since I don't, I suppose I'll go for uncool.

A Datsun would typically be cool, however it's rarity and twee looks puts it somewhere in the middle. This would be a perfect example of something that I'd vote "meh" on if I thought it was a valid option, but since I don't, I suppose I'll go for uncool.

Why is 'meh' not a valid option?

Anything Japanese that was part of the development history which eventually produced the great Japanese sports cars we all know so well is cool in my book. +Datsun fanboy = easy SZ for me.

Not a Fairlady.

Meh.

Yes, it's historically significant, but there really isn't much there to enthuse over.

I think we should keep "meh" for the sake of consistency, removing it would only cause confusion, considering how long it's been there. However, I agree that it's a weird option.

If a car isn't interesting enough to have an opinion about even when deliberately talking about how cool it is...

It's cool because a secret agent super spy could drive around in one completely unnoticed.

I've always thought it was a stupid option. If a car is "meh" then it's probably uncool since it evokes no emotion.

I only agree because of the wording of 'meh' in this case... a car can easily evoke emotion without being a cool or uncool car. There are plenty of supercars that evoke a LOT of positive emotion due to their looks and performance, and yet they're still generally ranked as uncool due to their cost and how you'd look driving on, and it's the same vice versa. There are a few rare cars where emotion and perception balance each other out, and I really don't think 'meh' is a good word to describe cars like those. 'Meh' is what you say when someone tells you they just bought a Primera, but not what you say when someone tells you they just bought a new BMW i8 and you're not sure whether to be really impressed due to its performance, ingenuity, looks etc., or laugh at them because you know it's very expensive and that a lot of the figures are made up.

I'm not saying remove 'meh' entirely (that would require a colossal reworking of the ranking system and/or mess up all previous ranks), just rename it to something that doesn't suggest that a car is boring. Like I said before, 'average' or 'undecided' would be a marked improvement over 'meh'.

Back