Engines:
0.7L V4, 0.9L V4
Power: 965: 23 hp; 965A: 27 hp
Torque: 32 lb-ft.
Weight: 665 kg
Transmission: 4-speed manual
Drivetrain: Rear engine, rear wheel drive
Body Styles: 2-door coupe (technically)
Additional Info: "First Ukrainian car to be nominated on the GTP Cool Wall.
Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zaporozhets"​
Saporoshez_ZAZ_965_A.JPG

5281384880_de7c296597_b.jpg

4529880265_7e84f1ea2a_b.jpg

5025778153_09c653c3a9_b.jpg

Reading that Wikipedia article and finding out that this is a unlicensed copy of a Fiat 600 pretty much drives the nail on the coffin before said coffin is even built. At least the Fiat has personality and slightly better build quality. This on the hand is a terribly under-enginereed cheap-o car.

It doesn't really have much going for it, I am afraid. Seriously Uncool.

Quirky Fiat 600 clone.

I have no idea if it's reliable or how it's build, but if it's anything like a Russian car, or in this case Soviet, you'll be pushing it a lot.

Uncool for copy cat behavior.

Thought you couldn't get worse built quality that a Fiat 600? Think again.

(Although I can't bring myself to really hate it, so I will stop at an "uncool")

Do you know what are these suicide doors for?
It's an airbrake to use if the normal brakes are gone. ;)

-------------
Slow, unreliable, uncomfortable (I've been inside one - the interior is like a tincan) - I know it. But this car has a soul. And an important place in the post-Soviet folklore... Especially jokes.

Cool. I kind of like old commie-boxes, not for what they were back then, but today they have a certain coolness factor. This one is definitely cool after reading the wikipedia page (independent suspension, considered sturdy and better at getting though rough roads than most cars it was sharing the road with, and both interesting and cool, designed to accommodate disabled war veterans)

An interesting fact: there was an unspoken rule that the ZAZ 965 must cost like 1000 vodka bottles (on the domestic market, I mean). Each time the alcohol prices rised, the car's price changed accrordingly.

The next model (ZAZ 966) turned out more expensive so that ratio didn't work anymore.

An interesting fact: there was an unspoken rule that the ZAZ 965 must cost like 1000 vodka bottles (on the domestic market, I mean). Each time the alcohol prices rised, the car's price changed accrordingly.

Was there a particular reason why, or was it just the amount of vodka one would have to drink in order to like the car?

Amusing vehicle. Also have a soft spot for Soviet Bloc stuff.

Hopelessly uncool though. Not even ironic hipster cool.

Back