• Poll closed .
United States
Wasilla, AK
1960-1984 Toyota Land Cruiser nominated by ilikewaffles11

View attachment 81364

Stats:
Production: 1960-1984
Style: 2-door pickup truck, 2-door SUV, 4-door SUV
Engine: F/F.5 237 ci/3,878 cc naturally aspirated OHV inline 6 (rated 105 HP & 189 lb-ft or 125 HP & 209 lb-ft depending on export destination), 2F 258 ci/4,230 cc naturally aspirated OHV inline 6 (rated 135 HP & 200 lb-ft), B 182 ci/2,977 cc naturally aspirated diesel OHV inline 4 (rated 85 HP & 141 lb-ft), 2B 193 ci/3,968 cc naturally aspirated diesel OHV inline 4 (rated 93 HP & 159 lb-ft), 3B 209 ci/3,431 cc naturally aspirated diesel OHV inline 4 (rated 98 HP & 167 lb-ft), H 218 ci/3,576 cc naturally aspirated diesel OHV inline 6 (rated 90 HP & 151 lb-ft), 2H 243 ci/3,980 cc naturally aspirated diesel OHV inline 6 (rated 105 HP & 177 lb-ft)
Transmission: 3-speed manual, 4-speed manual
Layout: Front-engine, Rear-drive with part-time four-wheel-drive
Related: Toyota Bandierante (Brazillian version - Wikipedia lists this under "also called" but it had different engines and was built from 1959-2001), Toyota Macho (suspect Bandierante rebadged for Venezuela)​

It's got a prehistoric suspension. It's underpowered (or overweight, your pick). It drives like a pig, and has a clutch and steering only a body-builder could love.

Absolutely sub-zero. This was the Asian Wrangler CJ or Land Rover Series One... a tough as nails, go anywhere vehicle that would never let you down.

Uncool. I know these things have history but most car people and non car people will wonder why you didn't buy a Jeep or a Defender instead. And then you'll have to explain why you didn't, and that makes it uncool.

Meh. Old Land Crushers weren't that good back then compared to equivalent Jeeps and Defenders.

Uncool. I know these things have history but most car people and non car people will wonder why you didn't buy a Jeep or a Defender instead. And then you'll have to explain why you didn't, and that makes it uncool.

Or you could remove the badges and have them believe you did get a Jeep, provided they don't see Hammond kill one on Dave at some point.

But I do find these older Land Cruisers rather cool. Moreso than any Jeep, and some versions of the Defender.

Good point. Looks like I voted wrong.

Old off road vehicles are cool, it's not as cool as a Land Rover from the same time period, but cool never-the-less.

It's got a prehistoric suspension. It's underpowered (or overweight, your pick). It drives like a pig, and has a clutch and steering only a body-builder could love.

Absolutely sub-zero. This was the Asian Wrangler CJ or Land Rover Series One... a tough as nails, go anywhere vehicle that would never let you down.

This. It's pretty awful on paper but damned if that really seems to matter.

Cool. Tempted to vote SZ because it's not a Land Rover or Jeep, but it just doesn't do it for me that much, so cool it is. :)

Sub-Zero. Having ridden in one (not sure of year, but it was old) it felt... so odd but so damn cool at the same time. Love it, can't really explain it.

Sub Zero. My brother had one with a Chevy V8 in it for awhile. The meaning of bad ass. :D

Sub Zero. One of the vehicles that will still work after nuclear holocaust or zombie apocalypse.. Or both.

Sub Zero. One of the vehicles that will still work after nuclear holocaust or zombie apocalypse.. Or both.

This.

One of the toughest and most go anywher-est vehicles to ever exist. Absolutely sub zero.

Could've had one dirt cheap many years ago when a neighbour moved away. I regret not disobeying my dad and just buying it. Would've cost me 150 bucks. Solid cool, Tough and reliable

You would NEVER hear this in my neck of the woods. Maybe the other way around(Rover, never Jeep either), but it is amazing how differently seen these vehicles are in different regions!

Sub Zero. My dad had one when I was growing. It was traded off when I was a first grader to a friend for a 78 Dodge 3/4 ton RV conversion van with a bubble top. He still regrets it to this day. We had bigger problems with the Dodge with the automatic trans causing small but frequent issues.

The Landcruiser was a 1973 FJ-55 (4-door) with a 3-speed. Now I'm older and looked at some of the hot rodding parts I have an idea of how to build to my taste.

Back