• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
United States
Wasilla, AK
1966-1977 Ford Bronco nominated by Slash

1976_Ford_Bronco_Explorer_4x4_For_Sale_Front_1.jpg

Stats:
Production: 1966-1977
Style: 2-door hardtop convertible SUV, 0/2-door roadster/convertible, 2-door pickup truck
Engine: 170 ci/2,786 cc naturally aspirated OHV inline 6 (rated 100-105 SAE Gross HP/82-89 SAE Net HP & 131-146 SAE Net lb-ft/156-158 SAE Gross lb-ft), 200 ci/3,273 cc naturally aspirated OHV inline 6 (rated 84-89 SAE Net HP & 131-156 SAE Net lb-ft), 289 ci/4,736 cc naturally aspirated OHV V8 (rated 150 SAE Net HP/200 SAE Gross HP & 242 SAE Net lb-ft/282 SAE Gross lb-ft), 302 ci/4,942 cc naturally aspirated OHV V8 (rated 125-158 SAE Net HP/205 SAE Gross HP & 218-242 SAE Net lb-ft/300 SAE Gross lb-ft)
Transmission: 4-speed manual, 3-speed automatic
Layout: Front engine, Four-wheel-drive (Variants with part-time system are RWD when 4WD is disengaged)​

Horsepower variations are due to more stringent emssions regulations entering the picture, and a switch from SAE Gross to more accurate SAE Net horsepower ratings.

My take? Cool. It beat the Murano CrossCabriolet to the whole "convertible SUV" thing by quite a long time, with the added bonus of being tough, simple, and overall capable of handling off-road terrain - you know, like SUVs are supposed to be. This is an SUV from when SUVs were actually SUVs, not jacked up station wagons built so manufacturers can get around stupid CAFE laws and fashionable parents don't have to suffer the horrible stigma of a station wagon or minivan.

One of the coolest off road vehicles I think and fun project trucks as well to do a ton of stuff that I'm sure @Slash will go days and days on about.

For me it's cool, Jeep and old school Land Cruiser are what are sub-zero, so now that you have an idea of where I'm coming from.

Last edited:
Stupidly simple platform to work with, very capable offroad, tons of cheap aftermarket, easy to make gobs of power out of, great sound across all the engines, good daily driver, easy to work on,
and pretty much a badass SUV all the way around. Cool.

Also, it's not generally subject to the ridiculous 10 foot high lifts you see on later models. It was also originally a 6 cylinder engine only vehicle up until the late 60s when Ford added a V8 to keep up with the competition.

image_14285f.jpg

100_0311.jpg
0804_4wd_01_z+1970_ford_bronco+driver_front_angle.jpg

131_1102_04_o%2B131_1102_mild_to_wild_top_40_readers_rides%2B1975_ford_bronco.jpg
bronco5b.jpg
1966-ford-bronco-at-the-ranch.jpg
Ford_Bronco_1966_web_s.jpg
IMG_2766-515x382.jpg
1970FordBronco_02_700.jpg

Last edited:
Stupidly simple platform to work with, very capable offroad, tons of cheap aftermarket, easy to make gobs of power out of, great sound across all the engines, good daily driver, easy to work on, and pretty much a badass SUV all the way around. Cool.

Also, it's not generally subject to the ridiculous 10 foot high lifts you see on later models. It was also originally a 6 cylinder engine only vehicle up until the late 60s when Ford added a V8 to keep up with the competition.

1383044644226.gif

They are also dead reliable...forgot to mention that. The sheer amount of these things still around is a testament to their build quality. Still not sub zero material though.

The sheer amount of these things still around is a testament to their build quality.

When Gas Monkey Garage built the one I posted earlier, it was almost completely rusted out.

And I have never seen one in my life.

I've seen them everywhere, some restored as show pieces, many others worked into the ground and still running. I do see later gens more frequently though. Probably location and interest dependent. They are very popular in the offroad world so you naturally would see them more if you participate in that kind of thing.

Picks up points for having decent off road capabilities and being relatively cheap. Drops them for not looking very interesting and that there's many other small 4x4s that have better abilities. Land Rover, Jeep etc.
And also loses points for that redneck image that only applies in the US. Solid Meh.

Small off-roady thingy that isn't white. Cool. Barely, I don't really like the one in the first picture too much.

Ford_Bronco_in_Reykjahlid,_Iceland.jpg

Better.

I've always like Broncos, but they aren't cool vehicles. I'm even tempted to go seriously uncool because Ted Nugent owns one, but I'll give it a pass just because I do like in an odd way.

Meh. It's an American Land Rover i guess, so it gets points for being relatively compact and good at what it was designed to do. But it looks a bit too Mork & Mindy.

(Yes, i know it's not a Jeep, but it has similar dorky proportions)

And I have never seen one in my life.

...you live in Tennessee, but you've never seen one? I live ten minutes from the state line, and I've seen maybe a dozen that I can recall. Weird...

Anyway, these do not interest me. And, while some people do build them up and turn them into good offroaders, they are kind of...funny looking. Take the one in the intro: a big, boxy body that looks slightly puffed out, held up by what looks like tiny little wheels. The whole effect is comical.

Uncool, but not a terrible uncool.

Well let's see, I've got toast, fruit, eggs, and bacon. All I need now for my balanced breakfast is my...

130715142555-07-acquittals-oj-hp-video.jpg

So uncool that even Ford knew it was time to start anew.

I knew someone was going to do this, I just didn't want to be that guy.

Posting all those Broncos. Mr @Slash, you're trying to seduce me...

In vain, though. Even before we get to the predictable Ford whoring, I'd sooner choose a Series III or Land Cruiser. Not even the Landy proportions are as weird as those of a stock Bronco.

old cars are cool.

I'm sure everyone can agree on a few exceptions there. Just a few. :P

Last edited:
Posting all those Broncos. Mr @Slash, you're trying to seduce me...

In vein, though. Even before we get to the predictable Ford whoring, I'd sooner choose a Series III or Land Cruiser. Not even the Landy proportions are as weird as those of a stock Bronco.

I'm sure everyone can agree on a few exceptions there. Just a few. :P

Sounds painful. :scared:

Seriously Uncool, it's like the U.S. equivalent of a Toyota Supra in that only 2 unmodified versions exist in the world(and all the modified versions look the same). Plus, also like the Supra, the owners are usually about as pleasant as sour milk.

Back