• Poll closed .
United States
Wasilla, AK
1967-1969 Ford Thunderbird nominated by gtpanoz

Ford-Thunderbird_1967_1600x1200_wallpaper_02.jpg

Stats:
Production: 1967-1969
Style: 2-door coupe, 4-door sedan
Engine: FE 390 ci/6.4L naturally aspirated OHV V8 (rated 315 HP & 427 lb-ft), FE 428 ci/7.0L naturally aspirated OHV V8 (rated 345 HP & 462 lb-ft), 385 429 ci/7.0L naturally aspirated OHV V8 (rated 360 HP & 480 lb-ft)
Transmission: 3-speed automatic
Related: Lincoln Continental Mark III​

My take? None... yet. I'll wait and see what some other people say, then see if I agree with it.

429 should be rated 375 iirc, it was a universal rating across all models. The 460 (same motor basically) was rated 360.

Anyways, I prefer the generation just before this, but the motors in this are fantastic. That and based on its underpinnings and reputation at the time give cool. I'm tempted to give sub zero based on the engines alone but the looks kinda kill it.

This and the previous generation are the only Thunderbirds I actually like. It's a large Coupe, that looks somewhere between a Lincoln Continental and a Dodge Charger.

Cool.

Front looks more ugly than cool with the lights hidden. Sitting between the ever so slightly cooler 4th gen and the incredibly uncool 6th. Easy to forget this iteration compared to most other offerings from that period. Meh.

This is a post-cool T-Bird. The T-Bird never achieves cool again until the end of the ninth gen and tenth gen.

I'd say this is uncool, but closer to meh than seriously uncool.

It is Cool

I Dont understand how you europeans Dont like it

based on looks alone it looks amazing

plus the engines are torquey and powerful

it is a mustang in a suit IMO

Was going to vote cool, but went Sub Zero based on some of the stories my boss has told about his '69 429 T-Bird that he bought back in the early 70's.

Low meh. Would be cool, but loses quite a few points for being the "poor man's Continental".

Because it's a massive and unstylish boat maybe?
To you maybe.

I don't particularly car for this gen Thunderbird though, other than the motors, which is nice because you can easily get them for another vehicle on the cheap because half of the people that have them in scrap yards have no idea what they are.

I voted meh. The car was actually quite good and Ford put a lot of work into making it a good car. It was well designed, well built, and didn't run too bad at all. But, just the fact that they turned a first gen. two-sweater sports car into a road couch gets a meh to uncool.

Uncool. It's really unexciting and something that some old guy would turn up to a car show in thinking it's the best car in the world because of some inane feature.

XS
I voted meh. The car was actually quite good and Ford put a lot of work into making it a good car. It was well designed, well built, and didn't run too bad at all. But, just the fact that they turned a first gen. two-sweater sports car into a road couch gets a meh to uncool.

I got the impression from Wiki that they took it 'upmarket/larger/heavier etc...' to avoid in house competition with the Mustang, which makes sense in a sort of way.

XS

Ditching the 2 seat sports car idea was a win for Ford. The "Big 'Birds" from '58 onward easily outsold the first gen's.

I do love the '55-'57's, but it appears Ford made a smart move.

The more I look at it, the more I like it. But before I get carried away I went for cool.

I love the look of this thing.

Back