GTP Cool Wall: 1967-2013 Volkswagen Type 2 (T2)

1967-2013 Volkswagen Type 2 (T2)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
United States
Orange County, NY
GTP_GT916
Nii916
1967-2013 Volkswagen Type 2 (T2) nominated by @KM964
918973.jpg

Engines:
1.6L F4, 1.7L F4, 1.8L F4, 1.8L I4, 2.0L F4
Power: 1.6: 50 hp; 1.7: 66 hp; 1.8 (both): 67 hp; 2.0: 70 hp
Torque: Unknown
Weight: 1200-1400 kg
Transmission: 4-speed manual, 3-speed automatic
Drivetrain: Rear engine, rear wheel drive
Body Styles: 4-door panel van, 4-door minibus, 2-door pickup, 3-door pickup
Additional Info: "Also called the Bay Window."​
1280px-Volkswagen_Transporter_Pickup_%28T2%29.jpg

Volkswagen-Kombi-van.jpg

Vw_bus_t2b_neu_v_sst.jpg

1973-1980_Volkswagen_Kombi_(T2)_van_02.jpg

Panelvan1.jpg

readers-rides-15_2.jpg

Aaaaand this is where the T2 falls below the Beetle in the coolness ranking.

Split-screens did at least have some class. And while this model had some very quirky iterations that I'm fond of, it's almost completely shed itself of the cooler styling cues while maintaining a hippie van image.

Uncool.

In comparison to the T1, this looks like it's made as the blood flow of industry.

So, is it Sub Zero? Here's my answer: NACHOS!

Now fallen into the hands of those hipster bearded no sock wearing slammed VAG worshippers who slam these to the floor.

SU.

I love them and I don't care. Sub zero. (Of course I do have a beard and a top bun.)

Wait, these vans (or buses?) were made up 'til 2013? Didn't know that.
Cool, gives a tad bit of that groovy vibe. Not as much groovy as the previous generation Typ2, which is why it isn't
sub-zero-mortal-kombat-5373366-61-75.gif
and is instead cool.

Passed down from hippies to hipsters, the Kombi doesn't look like it will escape the uncool camp anytime soon.

Has to be a regular cool. Whatever your opinion on surfers, hippies, arty types and the like, these cars are representative of freedom of movement, freedom of expression and being together with friends. Not fast, not pretty (in a conventional sense), but the very essence of moving from place to place and experiencing the world.

Fails to be sub zero because VW badge = scene tax. They aren't realistically worth the money they command.

The fact it is one of those enjoy the road trip type vehicles makes it cool. The fact there are plenty that do it are a MK1 worth more, and don't end up broken down on the road during said road trip with graffitti art tattering the sides and a mid 20s group of people all scratching their head on how to fix it. When in fact they could have just learned a lesson from good ol' dad on car maintenance...or instead of being retro-trendy took a page out of good ol' dad's car buying guide.

Rant over. I think I'll go meh cause the above scenario while seen somewhat often isnt always the case.

Has to be a regular cool. Whatever your opinion on surfers, hippies, arty types and the like, these cars are representative of freedom of movement, freedom of expression and being together with friends. Not fast, not pretty (in a conventional sense), but the very essence of moving from place to place and experiencing the world.

I'd rather take my car and a tent!

I like these. I think they're cool, it's just a damn shame that it has almost the same fuel efficiency as a typical v8 from that era.

I've tented enough times to know I prefer a car or van. Ask the other GTPers with whom I've done the Le Mans trip :D

(Also, see the vehicle in my avatar)

Each to their own, a van is one thing, but I wouldn't have the patience to drive something like this to my local shop, let alone an international trip.

Unless it has a toilet, in which case it might be preferable for a stay in France

First thing that comes to mind are hippies. Second thing that comes to mind are wannabe hipsters. Third thing that comes to mind is the slammed VAG swag crew.

No thanks. Seriously Uncool it is.

Okay, the pickup truck is awesome. This thing has potential to be an awesome woody beach cruiser. That's cool.

Latest Posts

Back