img_707248_41180153_0.jpg

Engines: 1.3L I4
Power: 110 hp
Torque: Unknown
Weight: 530 kg
Transmission: 5-speed manual
Drivetrain: Mid engine, rear wheel drive
Racing Class: GT Racing
Additional Info: "Designed by American Peter Brock, who was also involved in the creation of the Shelby Daytona Coupe prototypes. It also has an adjustable rear wing, many years before the Ferrari F40 did. The car attempted to race in the 1967 Japanese Grand Prix (where it hit 220 km/h during practice), but it was disqualified for having a far too low ground clearance.
The Samurai project was then sadly cut short after the death of Hino's president and the purchase of Hino by Toyota, and a planned Le Mans entry never came to fruition."​
bre-hino-samurai1

Samurai-on-RT.jpeg

samcol2.gif

numriser0144zi0.jpg1..jpg

bre-hino-samurai2.jpg

I have very mixed feelings about the styling. The adjustable wing is cool, but the fact it never raced isn't cool.

Meh.

I have very mixed feelings about the styling. The adjustable wing is cool, but the fact it never raced isn't cool.

Meh.

Well, it was all a matter of awful timing, really. The BRE team was working hard in trying to get the car ready for Le Mans, but then Toyota came in after the death of Hino's president, and they cut the Hino car division's plug. Nowadays, the only thing Hino makes is trucks. No one would guess that they were once a car company, especially with a car such as this.

And yes, I won't vote on it, or to be more exact I'll vote Meh in order to make my vote void and see how will the others rate the Samurai.

Never heard of it. Even for someone who would've had one then or now, people would look at them like:
81749-Jesse-Pinkman-WHAT-gif-pink-WA-a0go.gif

Uncool.

It weighs less than 1200lbs. Power is not an issue with this.

Not to mention it has almost nothing to do with coolness, but I don't feel like starting any more debates.

See, Custom understood the key point; low weight. You don't need that much power to make a light car go fast, you know. Couple that with the advanced aerodynamics and you can achieve good top speeds without a huge heavy engine powering the car.

Also, that last bit is wise, better stick to it.

I drive a Hino rigid truck at work, I had no idea they ever built cars let alone ones as cool as this. Nice design, featherweight and ingenuity gets it a cool from me. In association the truck I drive just got a bit cooler to me aswell.

Ridiculous looking 60s race car made by a brand that is practically unheard of now.

Sub-Zero.
My thoughts exactly. I've never heard of it, it's old, and it looks cool. And it may not be very powerful, but it's super light. I wish this car would be put in Gran Turismo. It might be fun. Too bad it was never raced.

My thoughts exactly. I've never heard of it, it's old, and it looks cool. And it may not be very powerful, but it's super light. I wish this car would be put in Gran Turismo. It might be fun. Too bad it was never raced.
Surprised this thing never raced since it looks like a classic race car. But the likelihood of this car being in a future GT game is very slim, since Hino has had no involvement in GT or any racing game, and as of right now, Hino only produces commercial trucks.

Custom878, good point. I didn't realize how light this thing was. If I could, I would change my vote to "meh". But still, I'm not the biggest fan of the styling.

Surprised this thing never raced since it looks like a classic race car. But the likelihood of this car being in a future GT game is very slim, since Hino has had no involvement in GT or any racing game, and as of right now, Hino only produces commercial trucks.

Custom878, good point. I didn't realize how light this thing was. If I could, I would change my vote to "meh". But still, I'm not the biggest fan of the styling.
If the car were to be put in GT, I bet licensing wouldn't be too difficult if Hino is owned by Toyota. But I do agree that chances seem slim.

Race cars are uncool for me, because by classic TG standards the Cool Wall is for road cars. You don't have to agree, but that's how I feel. So for me to say "meh" on this is actually high praise in a way. I'd buy the designer a beer for sure, if I could.

Well, it was all a matter of awful timing, really. The BRE team was working hard in trying to get the car ready for Le Mans, but then Toyota came in after the death of Hino's president, and they cut the Hino car division's plug. Nowadays, the only thing Hino makes is trucks. No one would guess that they were once a car company, especially with a car such as this.

I did wonder what happened to Hino and cars. Something similar must have happened with Isuzu although I think they still do the odd SUV and pick up.

Race cars are uncool for me, because by classic TG standards the Cool Wall is for road cars. You don't have to agree, but that's how I feel. So for me to say "meh" on this is actually high praise in a way. I'd buy the designer a beer for sure, if I could.

But we're not Top Gear, we're GTPlanet. Our placement is determined using mathematics through popular opinion, not whoever can get the picture of the car out of the arm's reach of the other presenter. This cool wall was merely inspired by it; if you vote "meh" on a race car than you might as well vote "meh" for any car that isn't being produced anymore, because Top Gear only did new cars.

I did wonder what happened to Hino and cars. Something similar must have happened with Isuzu although I think they still do the odd SUV and pick up.

Well, it's more or less the following; Hino's president dies, Toyota buys Hino entirely and then replaces their car division for Toyota's own. Everything that had the Hino name and wasn't a truck was almost immediately discontinued, and Hino was kept as a truck-only brand for Toyota's profit. Really, that's it.

If we are Top Gear, can we punch members of staff?

#toosoon

Only if it's over a badly-cooked steak. :lol:

But we're not Top Gear, we're GTPlanet. Our placement is determined using mathematics through popular opinion
Not sure about anyone else, but I've never used mathematics, or popular opinion to decide whether or not I think something is cool.

Well, it's more or less the following; Hino's president dies, Toyota buys Hino entirely and then replaces their car division for Toyota's own. Everything that had the Hino name and wasn't a truck was almost immediately discontinued, and Hino was kept as a truck-only brand for Toyota's profit. Really, that's it.

#toosoon

Only if it's over a badly-cooked steak. :lol:
Hino probably started making trucks when Toyota bought it for this reason. Toyota, Scion, and Lexus already makes cars, so Toyota wouldn't need another car brand, and Toyota wasn't really making much of any commercial vehicles.

Scion and Lexus weren't in existence in the late 1960s when Toyota bought Hino.

Yup, that's the important part. But my point still stands; Toyota really didn't feel like Hino's cars would be huge commercial hits, so they shifted Hino's production lines entirely towards trucks...

Not sure about anyone else, but I've never used mathematics, or popular opinion to decide whether or not I think something is cool.

I'm talking about how it's placed on the wall. Everyone's votes are worth -2, -1, 0, 1, or 2 points and the sum is divided by the number of total votes to get an average vote, which determines the car's rank.

But we're not Top Gear, we're GTPlanet. Our placement is determined using mathematics through popular opinion, not whoever can get the picture of the car out of the arm's reach of the other presenter. This cool wall was merely inspired by it; if you vote "meh" on a race car than you might as well vote "meh" for any car that isn't being produced anymore, because Top Gear only did new cars.

I'm not going to vote "meh" for all race cars, for the most part they will be either uncool or SU and only rarely "meh." I really do ask myself before voting "What would Kristin Scott Thomas (well, not her in particular, but generically any elegant/classy lady) think of me if I pick her up for a date with this car?" So, could be an out of production car, but really couldn't be a race car. Or concept car.

Back