Body Style: 2-door shooting-brake
Engine: 2.8L Ford Cologne V6, 3.0L Ford Essex V6
Power: 128-138 hp
Torque: 152-192 lb-ft
Weight: 1188-1266 kg
Transmission: 4-speed manual (overdrive optional), 3-speed automatic
Drivetrain: Front-engine, rear-wheel drive
Additional Information:
Tom Karen of Ogle was asked to submit some body designs based on the Ogle Design GTS estate car experiment for a new four seater Scimitar, the SE5 Reliant Scimitar. Managing Director Ray Wiggin, Chief Engineer John Crosthwaite and fibreglass body expert Ken Wood went to Ogle’s in Letchworth to look at a couple of mock-up body designs for the new SE5. Wiggin told Wood to proceed with a proper master.

The SE5 was conceived and ready for the 1968 Motor Show in under 12 months. For the SE5 John Crosthwaite and his team designed a completely different longer chassis frame, revised and improved suspension, new and relocated fuel tank, a roll-over bar, new cooling system, spare wheel mounted in the nose to give increased rear space.

More of a luxury model than the SE5, the SE6 series (1975-1986) was promoted to the executive market. These models were two-door sports estates, again with the Ford V6 3.0 L engine as used in the SE5A with 135 bhp,: the wheelbase was increased by 4 inches (10 cm) and the track by 3 inches (8 cm) making the cars correspondingly longer and wider than their predecessors. The extra length was used to improve rear-seat legroom and access which enhanced the car's credentials as a 'genuine' four-seater. A Laycock overdrive on 3rd and 4th gear was optional. The SE6 was replaced by the SE6A in late 1976.

Princess Anne was given a manual overdrive SE5 as a joint 20th birthday present and Christmas present in November 1970 by the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh. It was Air Force blue in colour with a grey leather interior and registered 1420 H in recognition of her position as Colonel-in-Chief of the 14th/20th Hussars. Princess Anne subsequently owned eight other GTEs.

7231762902_73d47cc9d3_b.jpg

25854571954_12d51d647c_b.jpg
Reliant_Scmitar_GTE_SE6B_2792cc_registered_January_1984.JPG
Reliant-Scimitar-GTE-klassieker-01.jpg
Scimitar-GTE-SE5a-07.jpg
img_3146.jpg
198.jpg
ReliantScimitar014.jpg

If one of these has to be lobbed at me for me to be Emperor, I think I'd rather be a peasant digging in the mud.

Cool

Thankfully the GTE didn't end up looking too much like the Triplex GTS that inspired its creation. Though the styling did wane a bit by the time Middlebridge took over production.

Cool.

Always thought the Scimitar was a very classy, and cool looking design, especially the standard Scimitar GT. And with the Scimitar GTE being a shooting brake, its insta-cool as far as I'm concerned.

Funny as well, is that many seem to forget that Reliant made more than just silly 3-wheelers (at least outside of the UK from what I can tell).

Oh and Princess Ann used to own one, don't you know.

Always makes me stop and have a second glance. Cool

If I had one, it'd get painted in purple. No question

Extremely confused as to how it's "square-edged" styling takes it back so many notches. This honestly reminds me of and looks like a Ford Capri shooting brake in some ways.

My dad had a metallic dark brown one with gold pinstripes and tan leather seats. To this day I can remember as a boy disappearing into those tiny back seats and how utterly cool that felt. His was a series 1 which were far prettier that the later models.

Princess Anne used to own one, don't you know.

Cool.

So cool I can find one on Google maps.

View attachment 642302

Auto-liked because of the obligatory Princess Anne comment.

There's one of those French 356 homages I-forget-the-name-of on Google Maps driving around the Arc de Triomphe, or at least there was.

Best memory of the Scimitar for me is my woodwork teacher at school used to drive one, it was sort of orange-beige and I was always intrigued by the "OVERDRIVE" badge on the back, as I didn't know what it meant then (still don't really). It was the perfect woodwork teacher car.

Not really Cool then but very much so now.

Extremely confused as to how it's "square-edged" styling takes it back so many notches. This honestly reminds me of and looks like a Ford Capri shooting brake in some ways.

Read my mind haha, was literally about to post how it looks like Mk3 Capri at the front.

As far as the whole "square shape" thing is concerned (which I don't think it is square IMO), I think its rather angular, which is what makes the Scimitar cool in my book, and works so well. Don't think it would've worked as well being a curvy shaped car, but since it isn't, can only speculate I guess.

Read my mind haha, was literally about to post how it looks like Mk3 Capri at the front.

Because it makes it look like it's made out of paper in the process.

Not to mention I never said it being square was uncool. Just the fact it was horrendously cheap and ugly looking - so y'know.

Came with the right motor, did nearly 200 km/h, and still looks pretty fly.

Princess Anne used to own one, don't you know.

Cool.

I think the more pertinent matter is that she has owned eight of them.

Princess Anne is cool.

Back