JapaneseFairladyZ1970.jpg

Stats

Production
1969-1978

Styles
2-door coupe
2-door 2+2 coupe

Engines
S20 121 ci/1,989 cc naturally aspirated DOHC inline 6 (rated 160 HP & 130 lb-ft in standard spec or ??? HP & ??? lb-ft in Z432R spec)
L20 122 ci/1,998 cc naturally aspirated OHC inline 6 (rated 150 HP & ??? lb-ft, apparently)
L24 146 ci/2,393 cc naturally aspirated OHC inline 6 (rated 151 HP & 146 lb-ft)
L26 157 ci/2,565 cc naturally aspirated OHC inline 6 (rated 140 HP & ??? lb-ft in early U.S. spec or 162 HP & 157 lb-ft in non-U.S. and late U.S. spec)
L28E 168 ci/2,753 cc naturally aspirated OHC inline 6 (rated 170 HP & 163 lb-ft)

Transmissions
4-speed manual
5-speed manual
3-speed automatic

Layouts
Front-engine, Rear-drive

Names
Nissan Fairlady Z
Datsun 240Z
Datsun 260Z
Datsun 280Z

Trivia & Useful Notes
Rather than try to pick sides as far as naming goes, I decided to just call it the Z and list the names in the post itself.

Japanese versions carried the L20 engine normally, but special Fairlady Z432 and Fairlady Z432R models were used the S20 engine out of the then-current Skyline GTR. A few of the ~420 Z432 models built were used as police cars in Japan, the lighter & more powerful Z432R homologation special presumably being too expensive.

Another homologation special was the Fairlady ZG, with a special aerodynamic nose, fender flares riveted to the body, a rear spoiler, acrylic glass headlight covers, and fender-mounted rear view mirrors. This was never sold outside Japan, but to homologate this model for competition in the United States, the special nose kit was sold from dealerships as the "G-nose". 240Zs with it installed are referred to as 240ZGs.

The 5-speed manual wasn't available in the US until 1977, and the 260Z wasn't avaialble with it period.

A heavily modified variant known as the "Devil Z" appears in Wangan Midnight. The name comes from the car apparently being cursed or posessed, becoming extremely fast but attempting to kill its drivers. Most likely, the car would be dangerous even without the supernatural issues, as it's been fitted with the best engine upgrades available (including a massive displacement increase) and is putting down cranked up muscle car levels of horsepower through 1970's suspension and brake technology.

Tokyo Xtreme Racer/Shutokou Battle/Tokyo Highway Challenge? titles have also featured this car in various forms. Tokyo Xtreme Racer featured this car, though it required some hoop-jumping (though no hacks) to acquire in the US version of the game, and it was ridiculously fast when modified. It was driven by the final boss of the game. Two versions, a normal version and a "Devil Z" version, appeared in TXR Zero (and probably 2, which was similar), with the DZ variant having more horsepower to start with and becoming one of the fastest accelerating (and fastest period) cars in the game when fully modified. The same driver from TXR appeared again, driving the second variant, as the final boss of the game. The car appears again in TXR3, but no DZ this time - just a normal, cheap variant with fairly lackluster performance. I could go on about how that one's a disappointment, even with engine swaps.

My Take

I'm tempted to give the car itself a low cool. But I'm more tempted to give the whole thing bottom of SU because of the Devil Z (especially after some things related to its appearances in the TXR games).

I wouldn't want to judge the car as it appears from something past your telly screen. I'd vote the AE86 Cool for that same reason.

But it's a solid cool for being the "Porsche" of Japan at the time.

You're tempted to give it a Seriously Uncool just because of a nickname in a franchise 95% of the population has no idea is even relevant to the car? I take it the 930 Turbo/RUF Yellowbird & Mitsubishi GTO are seriously uncool in your eyes as well.

God, your logic is all over the place.

The Blackbird is another matter, though if TVTropes is to be believed it might be a reference to yet more evil, thus uncool. As for the GTO/3000GT, what are you talking about there?

Sub Zero no matter whats been done to it, whether it was left to rust in a barn or fitted with an exhaust 3 stories high with a star on top, the S30 will remain a timeless classic that is impossible to ruin.

The Blackbird is another matter, though if TVTropes is to be believed it might be a reference to yet more evil, thus uncool.
The Blackbird is the antagonist of the series, how is it any different? Blackbird is a reference to the car being based on a black Yellowbird.
As for the GTO/3000GT, what are you talking about there?
The GTO was Jackie Chan's hero car in Thunderbolt, but 95% of car enthusiasts likely don't know that fact just as they don't know the Datsun Z has the nickname The Devil Z, which is my entire point. You're tempted to judge based on something you yourself likely have no knowledge of.

I have a sick suspicion that we ought not to be voting on this car over such a broad model range. Because while the 240Z will always be a subzero (or at least a seriously high cool), the 260Z is less so and the 280Z borders on "Meh". Could be worse. Could be the first 300ZX, with which Nissan completely lost the plot.

Still, super-cool. Arguably one of the prettiest (as the 240Z) sports cars to come out of Japan.

The Blackbird is another matter, though if TVTropes is to be believed it might be a reference to yet more evil, thus uncool. As for the GTO/3000GT, what are you talking about there?

You think they're uncool because the names of the cars in a Japanese-only cartoon are possibly Satanic?

I suppose you'd send the Plymouth Fury to hell, then? :D

Last edited:
Sub Zero. One of the few Japanese cars (let alone classics) which have that certain 'flair' that make them just amazing.

I have a sick suspicion that we ought not to be voting on this car over such a broad model range. Because while the 240Z will always be a subzero (or at least a seriously high cool), the 260Z is less so and the 280Z borders on "Meh". Could be worse. Could be the first 300ZX, with which Nissan completely lost the plot.

Pretty much capture my thoughts... 240Z, cool, rest not.

There's a 240Z in my town. In red. I fawn over and lust for it.

Undeniably sub zero.

I fail to understand why people think the 240Z is cool, but the 260 and 280 aren't, they're isn't a huge difference between them. Someone needs to explain this to me, there must be something I'm not getting.

The 240Z started the whole thing and it's cooler than their sucessores.

It's one of the cars I most desire and I'd love to see one personally because they are glourious.

The 240Z is probably the greatest of all the Z cars, the 260Z and 280Z, not so much. Balances out to Meh.

Back