• Poll closed .

Wiegert

Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
1969-1992 Chevrolet Opala nominated by @LivingWithGames

800px-Chevrolet_Opala_by_simenon.jpg

Body Styles: 2-door coupé, 4-door sedan, 2-door wagon
Engines: 2.5L I4 (153 pol3), 2.5L I4 (151 pol3), 2.5L "151-S" I4 (151 pol3), 3.8L I6 (230 pol3), 4.1L I6 (250 pol3), 4.1L I6 "250-S" (250 pol3)
Power: 80-141 hp
Torque: 130-237 ft-lbs
Weight: 1116-1376 kg
Transmission: 3-speed manual, 4-speed manual, 5-speed manual, 3-speed, automatic, 4-speed automatic
Drivetrain: Front-engine, rear wheel drive
Additional Info: "The Chevrolet Opala was a mid-size car sold under the Chevrolet brand in South America from 1969 to 1992, by General Motor do Brasil. It was derived from the German Opel Rekord Series C, Opel Commodore Series A, but used USA-sourced engines. Two four-cylinder engines: the Chevrolet 153ci 4-cylinder from Chevy II/Nova, which later got a new crankshaft stroke and cylinder bore, changing its size to 151ci (usually mistaken for the Pontiac Iron Duke engine), and the six-cylinder 250 from the contemporary line of North American car/light truck production. GM manufactured about one million units including the Opala sedan, Opala coupé, and the station wagon variant of it, the Opala Caravan. It was replaced by the Chevrolet Omega in 1992, also an Opel spinoff. It was the first passenger car built by GM in Brazil by the General Motor do Brasil division."​

1971_Chevrolet_Opala_3800.jpg

opala-ss-fotos.jpg
chevrolet-opala-caravan-03.jpg

Chevrolet_Opala_Coupé_facelift.jpg
1981_Chevrolet_Opala_2.5.jpg
Chevrolet Opala Comodoro GM 2-1.jpg
Chevrolet_Opala_Caravan_late.jpg
opala-interior.jpg
31727890007_large.jpg

Never heard of a Opala before but I'm kinda digging it.

Especially in SS trim.

And not from the '80's or '90's.

Please.

Like TB, never heard of it before. Looks like something that'd be fun to shove a V8 into with some radials on the rear, though.

Generic but nicely styled range pre-1980. Generic and average styling akin to the Opel Rekord E thereafter. And yet I still have a soft spot for the later coupe and Diplomata saloon.

Cool.

Why have I never heard of these? Cool, not quite SZ because the later cars drag the looks down a little.

The 60's/70's version of this car were the absolute best, memorable, nice shape, stylish for that time. Especially the SS one. Further years, the car started to lose that charm but, it remained as a pretty solid car. Just for that, it's a high cool, rather than a Sub-Zero.

The one in the main image looks quite nice, the 'spoilers' steadily get more awful. Uncool.

I like it but never heard of it before. Like others have said, the earlier ones look better.

Meh.

I quite like the styling of older models as they kinda reflect the same kind of design language that American GM cars were giving from that era. Seriously, I think a V8 would definitely suit this car. Of course, it doesn't quite deserve Sub-Zero, especially with the styling of the later cars. They're a bit too dull looking. Overall, I want to give it a cool rating.

Too big a year range to get any vote from me... and the car at the top of OP doesn't look quite as cool as either the Opel or the Holden imo.

While it may be significant to Brazil, it kind of looks like a carbon copy of an Opel Record, and by 1992 it started to look real dated.

For that reason, I vote uncool (accidentally clicked seriously uncool).

Earlier models look cool, doesn't weigh terribly much so the power wouldn't be a big issue.

Low cool.

I'd never heard of this car. The earlier generations are nice. And while the later versions are much less attractive, it still gets a cool.

Wait, how many different cars are we voting on at once here?

Agreed, you might as well poll "Chevrolet Corvette 1953 - Present"

As we can only average these out, solid Cool from me overall, upper Cool bordering on SZ for those early models.

Back