• Poll closed .
United States
Orange County, NY
GTP_GT916
Nii916
1970-1976 Plymouth Duster nominated by @Slash
16218_Side_Profile_Web.jpg

Engines:
198 ci (3.2L) I6 (Chrysler 198 Slant 6), 225 ci (3.7L) I6 (Chrysler 225 Slant 6), 318 ci (5.2L) V8 (Chrysler LA 318), 340 ci (5.6L) V8 (Chrysler LA 340), 360 ci (5.9L) V8 (Chrysler LA 360)
Power: 198: 125 hp; 225: 145 hp; 318: 230 hp; 340: 275 hp; 360: 255 hp
Torque: 198: 180 lb-ft.; 225: 215 lb-ft.; 318: 300 lb-ft.; 340: 340 lb-ft.; 360: 360 lb-ft.
Weight: 1410 kg
Transmission: 3-speed manual, 4-speed manual, 3-speed automatic
Drivetrain: Front engine, rear wheel drive
Body Styles: 2-door coupe
Additional Info: "Performance pony car spin off of the Dodge Dart. Was capable of out performing a 383 big block equipped Road Runner with it's small block 340 V8."​
1024px-1971_Plymouth_Duster_Orange_va-f.jpg

'74_Plymouth_Duster_(Rigaud).jpg

'75_Plymouth_Duster_(Rigaud).jpg

peeps_76plymduster-2.jpg

duster+004.jpg

340-duster.jpg

It's a difficult decision, because this was about the only car after 1970 that still followed the path set by the original Mustang. Was cheap, was somewhat attractive, and provided decent performance. All the more important after the Road Runner and especially the Barracuda morphed into overpriced, poorly built (but very pretty) gunboats with mediocre capabilities. It was a very cool car when new because it was what kept semi-affordable performance alive long after everyone but Pontiac abandoned it.

On the other hand, this is the kind of car Joe Dirt would drive to this day if the IROC Camaro, G-Body Monte Carlo and G-Body El Camino hadn't been invented the following decade. Gonna have to go uncool, but begrudgingly.

Somewhat understated and obscure compared to other muscle cars. Not too crazy and, but still pretty interesting. Cool.

The hood and stripe and stuff were options if I'm not mistaken and I'm saying this only because I know someone is gonna say something about those.

@Tornado hit the nail on the head with his words; this was one of the pioneers in the "cheap and affordable muscle car performance" world. A properly specced one could get you a very solid car, all things considered. Sure, it may have been driven by, uh, less than proper people, but it still strikes me as a good car. Not the most powerful muscle car out there, but hey, that doesn't always have to count. It's decently nimble for its size, and the engines are good on their own side of things.

It's a cool for me.

Last edited:
I like it, but something about it seems off. The front seems too short and the rear seems too long. Its still a solid cool though.

Sub zero, these along with late 60's Darts are among my favourite muscl cars. A 340 Dart or Duster has been on my wish list for a long time

Al Bundy's car. (Always referred to as a Dodge, but whenever the car was shown on camera, it was a actually a Plymouth)

Sub Zero.

You would think it would get more then 275hp from a pre oil crisis car(atleast the first few years).

Looks good though.

Low cool.

Small, cheap, performance oriented car based on the Plymouth Valiant (@GranTurismo916).

This one's cool because it's not a huge, weighty land barge with a giant engine.
The Duster was a performance version of the Dart which spawned off the Valiant and became its own model.

Al Bundy's car. (Always referred to as a Dodge, but whenever the car was shown on camera, it was a actually a Plymouth)

Sub Zero.
The Dodge Demon 340 was the same car.

The 340 made "275" because around the time Gross ratings were out of control, Chrysler would rather sell you a 383 and bank the extra money from charging you more for an engine it cost them less to build but actually made less power.

Last edited:
Insurance companies is another factor in the 275 hp rating. Many insurance charged higher premiums (much higher) on anything with over 300hp. This lead to a large number of cars that in reality made a little over 300hp being "officially rated" just under the 300hp mark. However, there is evidence to support the 340 wasn't really overrated by much, possibly as little as few hp.

Last edited:
I don't find this particularly good looking. Perhaps the sky blue in the additional pics is most unflattering but the car looks rather dull.

Am I alone on this?

Back