Alfa_Romeo_Montreal.PNG

1971AlfaRomeoMontreal_02_1600.jpg

1972-alfa-romeo-montreal-front-left-view.jpg
Bonhams_-_The_Paris_Sale_2012_-_Alfa_Romeo_Montreal_Coup%C3%A9_-_1977_-_007.jpg

150336d1252005251-1972-alfa-romeo-montreal-43.jpg

405481-1000-0.jpg

It's an Alfa. That's a plus.
Looks good. Another plus.
The V8 is small but sounds good and does give it some drivable power. Plus.
Italian styling all the way. Plus.

High cool. Would have been Subzero if it had it's engine midmounted as the prototype was build.

On a side note.

This car gives Alfa customizers the opportunity to build a V8 in their smaller Alfa and keeping it in the family.

Would have been only uncool if it weren't for those side vents dotting down the side. Due to them though, I cannot find this car anything less than tacky at all. Seriously uncool.

Looks great. 2+2. Love those headlight covers. It's like a baby BMW M1 but with more seats. Has all the correct ingredients.

Cool

A gorgeous Alfa with a small V8 in the middle and a Miura-esc dashboard.

Scrapes a Sub-Zero.

It's not in the middle. It's a front engine. The vents are fakes. They were supposed to work with a mid engine as in the prototype but they moved the engine to the front, and kept the vents because someone at Alfa decided they still looked pretty.

Edit. Picture.

1971_Alfa_Romeo_Montreal_Project_Car_Orange_For_Sale_Engine_resize.jpg

It's not in the middle. It's a front engine. The vents are fakes. They were supposed to work with a mid engine as in the prototype but they moved the engine to the front, and kept the vents because someone at Alfa decided they still looked pretty.

Edit. Picture.

I stand corrected.

The usual from a 1970's Alfa sports car; volatile, rare (moreso these days) and extremely beautiful. Some might say it's trying too hard with its design, but we would all turn our heads towards one if it went past us. And it has an Alfa V8, which definitely adds bonus points. Not to mention that I own a scale model (by Minichamps) of a black Montreal, so I know how good looking it is. By avoiding the era of rubber bumpers, that have ruined so many designs, this car can remain good-looking to these days.

Get the fridge out again...

Was thinking high cool but went with Sub Zero as a Canadian because the puns and lame jokes I could make if my car was called Montreal would be endless.

I'd never heard of this until 30 minutes ago. Spent some time browsing the Internet for history and articles on the car itself.

Despite the slightly silly name, it's a rather interesting car - and it looks damn good. Picture that @Dennisch posted makes me cringe a bit at that neglected engine bay, though.

SZ.

Even with everything but the kitchen sink tacked to it, it's very, very pretty.

Also relatively unappreciated as a classic... which means that it's not all that expensive.

-

Well... it wasn't. Good ones are going for close to six figures, already... so better start hunting if you want one.

I had only heard of the car in passing, in articles in magazines, only to really research it once it showed up in FM4. It became one of my most-driven cars. Love everything about the looks, love the tiny V8, and love the sounds it makes. Can't be anything other than SZ for this one.

We had a children's book about the history of transportation, this was one of the cars in it and a little story about it. It was one of my favourite cars from that book. That does not make it Sub-Zero though. The fact that it's Sub-Zero makes it Sub-Zero.

Back