• Poll closed .

Wiegert

Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
1970-1977 Mitsubishi Galant GTO nominated by @All Your Base

Mitsubishi_Colt_Galant_GTO_MR.jpg

Body Style: 2-door coupe
Engine: 1.6L 4G32 naturally-aspirated I4, 1.7L 4G35 naturally-aspirated I4, 2.0L 4G52 naturally-aspirated I4
Power: 96-125 hp
Torque: 103-127 ft-lbs
Weight: 980 kg
Transmission: 3-speed automatic, 4-speed manual, 5-speed manual
Drivetrain: Front-engine, rear-wheel drive
Additional Information:
The Mitsubishi Galant GTO (Gran Turismo Omologato) was first shown as the Galant GTX-1 showcar at the 1969 Tokyo Motor Show. Sales began in November 1970, when it was the flagship hardtop variant of Mitsubishi Heavy Industries's then-new Colt Galant sedan. The Galant GTO was designed by Hiroaki Kamisago and it incorporated a number of stylistic cues from contemporary American muscle cars of the era, including a long hood, raised cut-off ducktail rear, and rounded quad-headlamps and tail-lamps. The GTO was the third Japanese car to have a pillarless hardtop design after the Toyota T40 series Corona of 1966 and Mitsubishi's own Galant Hardtop launched earlier in 1970. Mitsubishi Racing Development intended for the Galant GTO to compete in the prestigious JCCA Grand Prix circuit. However, the oil embargo of 1973 caused the demise of GP racing, so the GTO race program was cancelled. Nevertheless, GTO's were successful in rallying, including the famous Japanese Alpine Rally. The Galant GTO was replaced by the Galant Lambda/Sapporo in December 1976, though production continued until 1977. The nameplate was revived in 1990 for the Mitsubishi GTO, although this name was only used in the Japanese domestic market.​

gamagori-mitsubishi-galant-gto.jpg

1970_Mitsubishi_Galant-GTO_01.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

11080392_10152617241591114_5413196270574347743_o_zpsmrxfe2qo.jpg

galant_gto_mitsu_14.jpg

I really want to say it's cool. It's a classic Japanese car! But those "nostril" hood scoops and stripes down the side make it so uncool. Meh it is.

Whilst I do prefer it's 90's namesake brethren, which I think is definitely a very cool car as it is, the original is very much an uber cool machine. It looks fantastic to start with, with it's American Muscle inspired looks, making it look like a baby muscle car, only it looks better, and is a better package as a whole IMO.

On the whole, it's a super cool, very good looking 70's Japanese Sports car, simple.

So all of the three cars above are Uncool? Umm..Can you explain the first two tho?

Never did I say the any of them are uncool... what I said was the Galant GTO is cooler than those.

Mitsubishi GTO/3000GT is cool, legendary Japanese sports car that's good looking at the same time.

Pontiac GTO The Judge is seriously uncool, stupid name and way too showy.

Never did I say the any of them are uncool... what I said was the Galant GTO is cooler than those.

Mitsubishi GTO/3000GT is cool, legendary Japanese sports car that's good looking at the same time.

Pontiac GTO The Judge is seriously uncool, stupid name and way too showy.
So...the entirety of american cars then? :P

Looks ok except for the side mirror placement. Muscle car looks without the muscle, though.

Was going for uncool, hit meh by mistake.

I used this picture last time, but it's just as relevant here (with 'legendary' and 'GTO' in the same sentence).

upload_2017-5-31_16-9-43-png.650284

The attachment of hood scoops and Stripes have not aged well with this car, the Celica got away with it because it was still rather Conservative, this is trying to do the last thing you would want from this car and get people looking at it, in not a good way.

Uncool.

Z16 3000GT/GTO is better than this, but the Z15 one (the one @Turbo posted above) is not. Not gonna open the can of worms on muscle cars, but the Holden/Pontiac one is also cooler.

Unless I have it backwards, but that'd just be inadequate sleep talking.

Meh it is.

No it wasn't. It was a Diamante with a coupe body that was treated as a wannabe compared to the actually-weres (Z32 and R32 especially in America and abroad, respectively; but the A80 and FD as well) from day one.

So, you're arguing with someone over coolness? I thought that was subjective...

Even though it certainly wasn't as competitive as other 90s Japanese sports cars, I personally think the 3000GT/GTO is cool; I've always been a fan of the styling, and it's not as hyped and doesn't have as much of a fanboy culture as other 90s Japanese sports cars (like the Evo, GT-R, etc).

No it wasn't. It was a Diamante with a coupe body that was treated as a wannabe compared to the actually-weres (Z32 and R32 especially in America and abroad, respectively; but the A80 and FD as well) from day one.
The R32 GT-R was literally a sports car on a family sedan body though, unlike the clearly not a Diamante based GTO.

The UK-registered one in the OP belongs to a friend of mine, unfortunately it's laid up at the moment. Love them, particularly in that silver.

So, you're arguing with someone over coolness?
No. I'm saying that a perennial last place finisher among its contemporaries at a time where the market was temporarily exploding in choice (if not sales) built directly off of a nondescript midsized sedan and with an immediate reputation as a hand grenade is a bit of a stretch to call a "legendary Japanese sports car" compared to the ones of the time that have gotten the cult of personality in intervening years just because it looked cool; even ignoring the 160 HP hubcap-equipped versions that would struggle to fight off a Chrysler Lebaron.

Last edited:
No. I'm saying that a perennial last place finisher among its contemporaries at a time where the market was temporarily exploding in choice (if not sales) built directly off of a nondescript midsized sedan and with an immediate reputation as a hand grenade is a bit of a stretch to call a "legendary Japanese sports car" compared to the ones of the time that have gotten the cult of personality in intervening years just because it looked cool; even ignoring the 160 HP hubcap-equipped versions that would struggle to fight off a Chrysler Lebaron.
Last place finisher in what?

Track times, acceleration??

Doesn't using that as your basis for comparing a car go against your philosophy around the nurburging?

I mean if we where to base it on comfort and usability i'm sure an RX7 would be better in that right?

Last place finisher in what?

Track times, acceleration??

Doesn't using that as your basis for comparing a car go against your philosophy around the nurburging?

I mean if we where to base it on comfort and usability i'm sure an RX7 would be better in that right?

I just posted this - the title saying 'super sports class'.

Some of the categories are 'performance', 'cornering' and 'value'. The GTO was not awarded anything, even being compared to the standard NSX which faltered a bit on their regular Tsukuba testing.

SVX

I just posted this - the title saying 'super sports class'.

Some of the categories are 'performance', 'cornering' and 'value'. The GTO was not awarded anything, even being compared to the standard NSX which faltered a bit on their regular Tsukuba testing.
That's not the be-all-end-all of a car's coolness, though. Just because it didn't score anything doesn't mean the 3000GT is some worthless turd.

That's not the be-all-end-all of a car's coolness, though. Just because it didn't score anything doesn't mean the 3000GT is some worthless turd.

I have never said anything about coolness. What I have said is that it was not 'legendary', nor was it a high performer.

Back