Jahgee1124
1970 - 1996 Range Rover Classic nominated by @Roo
Range-Rover-Classic.jpg

Production: 1970 - 1996
Styles: 3 Door SUV, 5 Door SUV
Engine: 3.5/3.9/4.2 V8, 2.4/2.5 4-cyl turbo diesel
Transmission: 4/5 speed manual, 3/4 speed auto, all with 2 speed transfer box
Layout: Front Engine, All Wheel Drive
Power Output: 111-119bhp (diesels), 130-200bhp (V8s)

Hardcore Range Rover? Sub-Zero without a doubt. The only SUV made before the 90's (except the Bronco, of course) that I would want. Also appears in my favorite Top Gear episode. :D

Nobody should be voting uncool. If you don't like it, fine, but there is nothing uncool about a classic Range Rover.

Depending on which side of the pond the setting is, I always picture either this or the Jeep Wagoneer as driving up through a muddy field, and unloading a few WASP'y looking folk into the morning mist to shoot some rifles off. At clay pigeons or pheasants, I'm not entirely sure.

Cool, because it largely got used for what it was designed for, at least far more than they do nowadays. You also don't care about the engine's relative lack of performance, because being a thrusty, aggressive SUV wasn't part of the design either. That it's an icon that's influenced a fair amount in the industry is no accident, either.

Sub-Zero'd.

There is not a single Land Rover product that I've ever been interested in enoug to grant it a second look. Meh.

Definitely cool, mainly because it's good looking, well built and they were used for what they were designed for, even though I like the newer ones, most of them never even see a bit of mud on the road, let alone do proper off roading.

Classic Range Rovers are always cool. Like the Defender, it's become an icon of British motoring.

Last edited:
This is undoubtedly one of the defining cars of its class and era. Ignoring the tacky ones that follow, this is a true to purpose, good and honest off-roader and you will be hard pressed to find an original Range Rover that isn't caked in filth.

Great to look at, eventually came with a V8 if you wanted one.

Sub zero.

Old Range Rovers are always cool.

Even my granddad's old diesel Rangie when the engine spectacularly caught alight?

Before ending up at the breakers, he used it as you'd expect any Welshman living on the grounds of a large rural estate which hosts many a pheasant shoot to. And thus I've always seen Classic Rangies as the archetypal, rugged hunting SUV. While newer, plusher versions seem at home in urban settings.

Bird shooting aside, the Classic is exceptional at what it does and is still put to good use nowadays. As a capable, well-designed offroader without being overly spartan or needlessly palatial. Cool.

Last edited:
Cool. Not my sort of car, and honestly if I wanted a Range Rover to drive around in I'd go for one of the newer ones. But the newer ones don't have the kind of classless cool the old Rangies do.

Cool. I have no real reason as to why other than I've always thought of Range Rovers as cool vehicles.

Always liked the looks of these, and they do pretty good off road. However, there are plenty of other SUV's/off roaders from that era I would have before this.

Meh.

A very solid cool. An early 3-door) in one of those colours you no longer associate with Rangies would be subzero.
timthumb.php.jpeg

4.2 and the manual? Meh. Never been a fan of the SUVs.

Anything else? Uncool.

BUT, It could be turned into this!
IMG_0382-1.jpg

So cool.

No sooner does this poll appear that I see a 3 door classic in that marvellous dark green paint.

They always make me look twice, in the best possible way.

Back