United States
New York
Jahgee1124
1970 Ford Mustang Mach 1 nominated by @mustang fanatic
138464_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

Engines:
351 ci (5.8L) V8, 428 ci (7.0L) CJ V8, 428 ci (7.0L) CJ-R V8
Power: 351: 250 hp; 428: 335 hp
Torque: 351: 355 lb-ft.; 428: 440 lb-ft.
Weight: 351: 1535 kg; 428: 1650 kg
Transmission: 3-speed manual, 4-speed manual, 3-speed automatic
Drivetrain: Front engine, rear wheel drive
Body Styles: 2-door fastback coupe​
127_0305_2z+1970_Ford_Mustang_Mach_1+Rear_Passenger_Side.jpg

1970-ford-mustang-mach-1-twister.jpg

1970-Ford-Mustang-Mach-1-Passengers-Side-View.jpg

interior2.jpg

04-1970-mustang-mach-1-scj.jpg

Uncool because not Boss 302, and all the other reasons that make muscle cars uncool in our times, and also because what I said about Mustangs in the previous vintage Mustang thread.

Last edited:
The OP is missing the 429 CJ and SCJ engines with a rated 375hp and 445 lb-ft of torque. There was also 4 different 351s, 2 that had 250hp (355 and 360 lb-ft), one that had 290 hp (385 lb-ft), and one that had 300hp (385 lb-ft) (which later in 1971 would go on to make 330hp). Also missing the 390ci V8, with 320hp and 427 torque. Please fix :)

Last edited:
Not quite a land barge yet, but getting there. Give me a GT390 or a Boss 302 if it has to be slightly newer.

Anyways, as expected I voted sub zero. These cars absolutely stand out in a crowd of cars. You KNOW instantly when you see one that it's a Mustang. There's no guesswork as to what car it is. You might not know the year, but you KNOW it's a Mustang. The design is incredibly distinct and it's well agreed on that it's one of the best looking cars to come out of the '60s among enthusiasts. This and the 1969 model are sister cars, this particular one being more aerodynamic than it's predecessor by removal of the fake quarter panel scoops and a redesigned, one year only front grille. Personally I think the rear end is the best looking end on any car ever designed.

The Mach 1 was a step up over the base fastback cars, with exceptional handling impovements and basic luxury, but not quite to the level the Grande coupe model went to. The Mach 1 was just a step below the Boss 302 in the handling department, with heavier engines for more power and a ever so slightly higher ride high. The Mach 1 was one of the best handling Mustangs you could buy other than the Boss cars. The extra sound deadening material and trim added weight, but that was part of the package. The louvers and spoilers you see are options but most stock Mach 1s did not come with these; yet they are a distinct feature on these Mustangs. Mustangs have to have louvers. They just work.

By todays standards on a track they would seem slightly unfavorable, due to the lack of a rack and pinion steering system and a somewhat sloppy gearbox (but comparably better than most of what Ford put out as far as tightness),but aftermarket takes car of that. These cars....there isn't a part you can't buy brand new from multiple manufacturers. Even bare shells are being reproduced, because the cars are so widly popular. Part of the reason I think it's cool. It'll never die. This car is not going anywhere and generations to come will also be able to experience it.

The styling, sound, better handling characteristics of most cars of the era just make it scream "that's freakin' badass!!!" and that makes it cool IMO. You just look so kickass driving one of these and you feel really awesome doing it. Add to the fact that they are pretty quick in stock form especially the big blocks, and have the potential to be REALLY EFFIN FAST if you throw some $$$ at them. And the name, Mach 1. Beyond the speed of sound. How ballsy does a company have to be to call a car that?

Furthermore, they aren't high dollar collector cars like Hemi Cudas that go for hundreds of thousands. While the top of the line Drag Pack Mach 1 models with the big blocks, manual transmissions and other features demand high dollar, typically most go between $12,000-$30,000 for the most mint models you'll find. I really like how it's affordable for most people, since a lot of modern cars cost around the same.

Sub zero, case closed. There's absolutely no denying that this is one of the coolest, and arguably one of the most badass cars ever made.

Not quite a land barge yet, but getting there. Give me a GT390 or a Boss 302 if it has to be slightly newer.

The 428 in these cars is the same engine as the 390 except has way more power and would make a Boss 302 or GT390 look like a kids toy.

@Bopop4

The only one I know of was the 1969 Boss 429.

Alright, before we get into the 'ole "special edition muscle cars are uncool because they're collectors pieces" it should be noted that Ford made 40,000 of these, which makes it less rare than a run-of-the-mill fastback.

Still uncool because Mustangs fans/owners are annoying.

So you're looking at the car's fanbase, rather than the car itself, to make your decision on voting? :odd:

I'm sorry, and I don't mean any disrespect, but this just doesn't seem right to me.

Alright, before we get into the 'ole "special edition muscle cars are uncool because they're collectors pieces" it should be noted that Ford made 40,000 of these, which makes it less rare than a run-of-the-mill fastback.

I agree, this car is not a special edition collectors car by any means. There's a bunch of them. In comparison, most modern cars would struggle to sell 20,000 per year.

Zenith
Says the guy who owns one :P

It's absolutely right. People asociated with certain cars can give it a cool or uncool (most of the times uncool) vibe.
Still though, there are those who are fans and owners of certain cars who aren't nearly as bad as the rest of them.

Still though, there are those who are fans and owners of certain cars who aren't nearly as bad as the rest of them.

Yeeees but when fans of a certain type of car conform a majority that are practically blinded about how great/fast/stuff it is, they overwhelm the enthusiasts that are truly sensible about the car. Two perfect examples are right here discussing in this thread.

The OP is missing the 429 CJ and SCJ engines with a rated 375hp and 445 lb-ft of torque. There was also 4 different 351s, 2 that had 250hp (355 and 360 lb-ft), one that had 290 hp (385 lb-ft), and one that had 300hp (385 lb-ft) (which later in 1971 would go on to make 330hp). Also missing the 390ci V8, with 320hp and 427 torque. Please fix :)
That sure adds to the coolness!

@Cano

I've never once in my life met and asshole Mustang owner, at least one that owns THIS generation car.

That's coming from someone who literally walked up to a total stranger and asked for a ride in THIS exact car.

I wasn't turned away.

@Tornado

I'd rather the OP actually have valid information than a bunch of stuff missing. I don't care if that's adding to the coolness or not, that's poor work on the OPs half and has aboslutely NOTHING to do with the car itself.

Besides more power is almpost always cool within reason. This car with a big block flat out scared people when it was released.

@Cano
I've never once in my life met and asshole Mustang owner, at least one that owns THIS generation car.
That's coming from someone who literally walked up to a total stranger and asked for a ride in THIS exact car.

No one needs to be an asshole or a bad person at all. I've known a friend who is all Mustangs for the last ten years or so. He is one of my best friends, an absolute expert in Mustangs and the only guy I know in Mexico that can make Mustangs really haul because "high performance mechanics" here suck. He is also the most anooying and blind "car guy" I know, because all Mustangs.

@Cano

I've met several. Most classic car owners down here are nice guys though.

As for the car itself, I saw a 69 with a 428 a few months back. Wonderful styling.

I have a tendency to be that way, but that doesn't mean all of them are like that. Most of the Mustang guys I talk to are the most down to earth people I've ever met, and don't get into to all the uncool stuff (engine codes and that crap). We share builds, tips and triicks, do a couple burnouts and part ways. Part of the fun.

Guys with old Mustangs tend to be different than guys with new Mustangs which give Mustang owners a bad image, especially arrogants with the V6 cars that think they are gods gift because it's a Mustang regardless.

A lot of guys simply don't care about that crap. They want a nice ride, and that's about the end of it.

The design is incredibly distinct and it's well agreed on that it's one of the best looking cars to come out of the '60s among enthusiasts.

*Mustang enthusiasts.

Says the guy who owns one :P

Then he's following the spirit of the Cool Wall very closely. 👍

I'll direct you to any of the three Honda Civic threads, where the usual pro-muscle-car members had no qualms with pointing to the stereotypes. So, it works both ways.

It's certainly not a Meh car, but I'm not sure which side my vote will fall on.

Back