• Poll closed .
United States
Wasilla, AK
1971-1975 Nissan Cedric nominated by GranTurismo916

640px-Nissan_Cedric_230_001.jpg

Stats:
Production: 1971-1975
Style: 2-door coupe, 4-door sedan, 4-door hardtop sedan, 5-door wagon
Engine: 121 ci/1,982 cc H20 naturally aspirated OHV inline 4 (rated 92 PS/91 HP & 123 lb-ft?), 122 ci/1,998 cc L20A naturally aspirated OHC inline 6 (rated 115 PS/113 HP & ??? lb-ft in single-carburetor form, 125 PS/123 HP & ??? lb-ft in dual-carburetor form), 146 ci/2,393 cc L24 naturally aspirated OHC inline 6 (rated 130 PS/128 HP & ??? lb-ft), 157 ci/2,565 cc L26 naturally aspirated OHC inline 6 (rated 140 PS/138 HP & ??? lb-ft), 122 ci/1,991 cc SD20 naturally aspirated Diesel inline 4 (rated 60 PS/59 HP & ??? lb-ft), 132 ci/2,164 cc SD22 naturally aspirated Diesel inline 4 (rated 70 PS/69 HP & ??? lb-ft, some Wikipedia pages say this engine didn't show up until 1977 and produced 65 PS/64 HP)
Transmission: 4-speed manual, 5-speed manual, 3-speed automatic
Layout: Front-engine, rear-drive
Related: Nissan Gloria
AKA: Hue Loong 803, Datsun 200, Datsun 220, Datsun 240, Datsun 260C​

A good looking, probably quite practical, certainly highly reliable, for its time, car, let down purely by being called Cedric.

Popular with taxi drivers in Tokyo. Other than that, completely boring and uninteresting. Uncool.

Uncool. You'd have to tell people you owned a car called Cedric.

Saved from seriously uncool because it piques the curiosity as a rarely-seen and modestly stylish classic sedan.

Cool. Classic Japanese cars are almost always cool to me and are often way more interesting than the vehicles America was making at the time.

That bit makes it cool, and I don't think the name hinders it in any way.
I dunno, I reckon it does. Nissan on its own isn't a cool brand and "Cedric" doesn't help.

I suppose the method here is to show people the car before you tell them what it's called. Or preferably, never mention its name to anyone. Just say you own a classic Nissan. Even then, it doesn't have the impact of rocking up in a 240Z.

This is where you tell me your middle name is Cedric and my constant ridicule of the name is entirely unamusing...

Cool. Classic Japanese cars are almost always cool to me and are often way more interesting than the vehicles America was making at the time.
How so? This car looks like it would fit right in with something that came out in the '70s. Looks very American to me except the mirrors.

If you think the 'Cedric' name is bad, then what does that make the Vauxhall Adam then??

Not that I dislike the name. Quite the reverse in fact. Cool.

To me, when I here the name Adam, I first think of the biblical figure, then the embryo attached to a certain character's hand, and then the one bully at my old school who had the ability to put wit into his insults.

All of them can be fairly characterised as the French word for shower...

So, to me, Adam is just as bad a name for a car as Cedric.

Lilith, on the other hand...

How so? This car looks like it would fit right in with something that came out in the '70s. Looks very American to me except the mirrors.

For the most part I don't like American cars from 1950-1990, especially American cars from the 60's and 70's. Sure there are exceptions to this but for the most part I can't be bothered with them.

I gave it a cool rating, I think most old japanese cars are cool looking.

I agree. To someone who didn't know better, it would fit right in at an American car show.
One thing that would set it apart from american cars of the time, is it's much smaller.

One thing that would set it apart from american cars of the time, is it's much smaller.
That's true to an extent but there are a lot of small American cars for the time as well.

Really Its only about ten inches or so shorter and about 5 inches narrower than a late '60s Dart. That is NOT that big a difference.

Really Its only about ten inches or so shorter and about 5 inches narrower than a late '60s Dart. That is NOT that big a difference.
This thing would tower over a Maverick or Vega. A 1965 Mustang is actually smaller in every dimension except width.

Back