• Poll closed .
United States
Wasilla, AK
1971-1979 Volkswagen Super Beetle nominated by xXKingJoshXx

26128394a2d8323b8538e63fc4ac1340.jpg

Stats:
Production: 1971-1979
Style: 2-door coupe, 2-door convertible
Engine: 73 ci/1,192 naturally aspirated OHV flat 4 (rated 34 HP & ?? lb-ft), 78 ci/1,285 cc naturally aspirated OHV flat 4 (rated 44 HP & ?? lb-ft), 97 ci/1,585 cc naturally aspirated OHV flat 4 (rated 49 HP & 80 lb-ft)
Transmission: 4-speed manual, 3-speed semi-automatic
Layout: Rear-engine, rear-drive
Related: Meyers Manx, Volkswagen Type 82 (Kubelwagen/Safari), Wolkswagen Type 166 (Schwimmenwagen), Volkswagen Type 82E (Kommandeurwagen - Beetle body on Type 82 chassis)
My take? It's got a lot of history and a lot of nostalgia. But I struggle to call a car this cute "cool". Nevertheless, it does have one very cool feature - unlike most cars, which are water-cooled and thus will overheat when driven roughly for a long period of time, this car with its air-cooled engine will run cooler at higher speeds.

Last edited:
Cool. Girls love them. In fact, people in general seem to love them, unless they're car guys who know the truth that they're actually a bit crap. Still cool though.

And yes, I did used to own one. But my casual, non-car friends liked it more than any of the other cars I've owned, I had car-fulls of people craning their necks to look at it on its maiden voyage and half a dozen girls who I rarely speak to on my Facebook decided to chirp up with a comment when I posted a photo. So that's what I'm basing it on.

Unlike water-cooled cars, this will run cooler. Cooler, that is, until it bursts into flames.

The Super Beetle. Purists hate it. They hate the bigger tail-lights. They hate the bigger rear window. They hate the more streamlined look.

Well... hate may be too strong a word. But collectors do generally pass over the Super Beetle and go for the older model.

Which, along with the fact that it's a rattly, overheating, uncomfortable, gas-guzzling, slow death-trap, makes it cooler than cool.

uncomfortable
I'm not sure whether it was the adrenaline, but the first 200-mile journey in mine after I picked it up was actually quite comfortable. There's a lot to be said for huge squishy seats on enormous bouncy squeaky springs.

The fact it's an interesting shape rescues it from seriously uncool for me, and stuff like the baja bug is cool too, and you do see some interesting modded ones out there. I just can't seem to get over the hipster factor though, kinda like "Hey everybody I bought a Beetle, aren't I cool!"..

Although...

Cool. Girls love them. <snip> and half a dozen girls who I rarely speak to on my Facebook decided to chirp up with a comment when I posted a photo. So that's what I'm basing it on.

.. okay so "Hey girls I bought a Beetle, aren't I cool!".. ;)

Beetle's always have a '60s vibe to them which does make them slightly cool.
Considering it was penned in the 1930s, it's impressive that they were sort of timeless for a while in the mid 20th century.

Also impressive that the Beetle remained in production until 2003, when the last one rolled out of the factory in Mexico, making it the longest-running and most-manufactured design in history.

.. okay so "Hey girls I bought a Beetle, aren't I cool!".. ;)
Nope ;) My main reasoning for buying a Beetle was twofold - it was cheap, and because I couldn't find the Saab I wanted.

Neither of those are remotely cool, but luckily, the Beetle transcends my own non-coolness...

My brother owned a '72 which I was quite fond of. It barely had enough power to get my two brothers and I out of our neighborhood (which had a very large and long hill) but it was still awesome nonetheless. Plus it was purple and had a footprint for a gas pedal. :lol:

Right before he sold it...

AKO2005_0711_130236AA.jpg

Well, I'm a little too close to this one, but I have to vote "cool." As mentioned, many purists don't like the Supers. I can't say I blame them. I like the updated McPhearson front suspension much better than the trailing link on the older ones. It's also got a rack and pinion setup for the steering, which can be much nicer then the old steering box. But, after going to a few VW shows and comparing the late model styling (not just the Super), the body lines, lights and everything else just doesn't compare to the classics.

No V8 option and no serious off road ability - it's just begging to get stuck. Couldn't tow worth a damn either. Seriously uncool.

You obviously have a very specific idea of what "cool" is, and it's an American pickup.

VWs have been used off-road for decades with lots of success. They don't have tons of suspension travel stock, but they are the base for many successful off-road vehicles. With a VW based rail buggy you can adapt A-arm suspension and get a bunch of travel front and rear. Plus, with the rear engine layout, they dig out of terrain much easier than any other RWD layout off-road.

Even your standard Baja, or a full bodied sedan, will do better off road than a comparable RWD car of the era. I do know a bit about that.

The towing part ... absolutely true.

My general indifference towards the Beetle hasn't changed for as long as I can remember. Unless we're talking about the New Beetle or A5 platform model. Otherwise, it's no lower than meh.

Older post-war examples may just about nudge Cool, however.

Last edited:
One of my favorite things about the Beetle is that nearly everyone has a story about them. Their parents/uncle/granddad/friend had one at some point and they remember it fondly. I really think that puts them up with some of the most iconic cars of all time.

Solid cool, I recall my father telling stories of his Beetle while he was posted to Germany in the mid 60's...he loved it.

updated McPhearson front suspension

This. I think this should absolutely be included in the first post as this is a looooot of what differentiates a Super Beetle from a normal Beetle, it's even why the front is so different to that of a normal Beetle. W&N, you really should add this.

also this car is freaking cool.

This. I think this should absolutely be included in the first post as this is a looooot of what differentiates a Super Beetle from a normal Beetle, it's even why the front is so different to that of a normal Beetle.
I have a brochure from the year my car was built, '74, boasting "suspension according to the Porsche design". If that wasn't a cool thing to have on your car back in the 70s I don't know what was!

It's not very 'super' is it...though my Seriously Uncool vote might have been a bit of a jerk reaction. Realistically it's probably more uncool.

It's not very 'super' is it...
In context of other Beetles it was. More power, better suspension, more trunk space, better visibility, better cooling, marginally more refinement... the only thing it was really worse on was styling, and some people aren't as keen on the plastic-fantastic 70s dashboard either.

This thread is making me want another Beetle.

To be honest, I like the early swingaxles and trailing arms more. Fits the concept of the car better in my opinion. Not that it means much as far as coolness is concerned, but the blargh proportions do. Kind of on the fence with this one, I guess I'll vote meh.

Back