• Poll closed .
United States
Orange County, NY
GTP_GT916
Nii916
1971-1992 De Tomaso Pantera nominated by @GranTurismo916
1971-de-tomaso-pantera.jpg

Engines:
4.9L V8 (Ford 302 Windsor), 5.8L V8 (Ford 351 Cleveland), 5.8L V8 (Ford 351 Windsor)
Power: 302 Windsor: 244-300 hp; 351 Cleveland: 330 hp; 351 Windsor: ~300 hp
Torque: Unknown
Weight: ~1400 kg
Transmission: 5-speed manual
Drivetrain: Mid engine, rear wheel drive
Body Styles: 2-door coupe
Additional Info: "The Pantera (Italian for "Panther") was a mid-engined sports car produced by the De Tomaso car company of Italy from 1971 to 1991, the last one being delivered to a customer in 1992. It was the automaker's most popular model, with over 7,000 units produced during its 20-year run." (Quoted from Wiki, not from nominator because obviously that's me)​

Last edited:
Sweet car... Would probably get confused for a Lamborghini most of the time. I'll wait to vote for this one

The early ones, and generally all non-body kitted cars would be cool. Unfortunately the nomination also includes the awfully tacky late Countach version esque body kits and spoilers, which are both extremely uncool. Uncool.

I have never, ever voted sub-zero so fast in one of these threads.

Neither do I. The Pantera is one easy example. The moment you hear about it, instant cool. Great name for a car too and was like a new Countach to afford.

Heck, i'd prefer this over the countach, it even lived with 20-21 years, about my age! What's not to like?

Funny, it's a rare case of me liking all of them, the original svelte models as well as the 80s more muscular set-up. I also really like the very different styling of the blue one in the OP, never got around to figuring out if that is a specific model number or period or whatnot. Then again, I like 80s Countachs too, well up to the Anniversary edition at least :)

Sub Zero for the early models, meh for the later models with the body kits.

Balances out to a cool.

I think the standard 70's one is cool but I like the 80's GTS version more but obviously it isn't as cool as the older model.

I had to go with Meh. It just leaves me indifferent. It has spicy Italian looks, engine and transmission in correct place and rear drive too.. But then, it's supercar-lookalike, powered by Ford.

I drive a Pantera. I drive a V8 Pantera. I drive a mid-engined V8 italian Pantera made in the 80s. I drive a mid-engined italian Pantera made in the 80s with a gated manual gearshift.

Insta Sub-Zero.

Instant SZ. It sounds great, looks great, it's just all around perfect!

One of the best sounding car names ever. De Tomaso Pantera. It's brilliant.

The bad bodykits are noted but does not stop this from being Sub Zero

Certainly wasn't particularly slower than anything Ferrari and Lamborghini produced until those two finally got serious with the 5000QV and Testarossa (as opposed to just paying their marketing guys to pretend how fast their cars were).

I've always been willing to give the bad bodykits a pass because they were de rigueur for the time period and what de Tomaso threw together wasn't near the worst. And the 1990s redesign has a definite quaint, childlike wonder to it (how could a car that crazy with that many off the wall styling touches look that anonymous?).

Last edited:
I truly don't think the bodykits for the later Panteras are any bad at all. I arguably like it more with the flared fenders and the stupid wing than in it's pure wedge shape. I love both, of course, but I really like the bewinged cars too.

I actually prefer the later ones with the massive wing and body kit to the originals.

One of the best sounding car names ever. De Tomaso Pantera. It's brilliant.

The bad bodykits are noted but does not stop this from being Sub Zero

This man is right. Just say the name a few times. It rolls in all the right ways.

In darker hues, the silly later bodykits aren't even that bad, certainly not as silly as something like the final Countaches. Easy, easy SZ.

Would love any of them, but the 70s have purity that make them look cool, or even sub-zero.
But the later body kits look tasteless and soooo 80s

It is a shame that the poll wasn't split into two.
Overall ... meh!

I have never, ever voted sub-zero so fast in one of these threads.
It was Sub Zero before I completely finished reading the thread title. :D It was my favorite toy car, so it ended up being my first favorite super car as a toddler.

Early ones are OK. Later ones are ruined by 80's stick on bodywork.

Uncool.

Corrected, to avoid confusion. You do know these were very fast cars?
Today, there's less than a handful of supercar makers that don't use motors of their own design: Lamborghini (Audi says hello) and Pagani (M-B's AMG). I admit, I find the Paganis cool, if not even freezing cool, but Lamborghini's lower end offerings are bit too German to justify the price and passion they ask for. As for the Pantera.. It started off with less than 250bhp. I've driven cars with that much power and they were far from feeling fast.

Back