• Total voters
United States
Wasilla, AK
1973-1980 Triumph Dolomite Sprint nominated by Nessy

Triumph%20Dolomite%20Sprint%2002.jpg

Stats:
Production: 1973-1980
Style: 4-door sedan
Engine: 122 ci/1,998 cc naturally aspirated OHC inline 4 (rated 127 HP & 124 lb-ft)
Transmission: 4-speed manual, 3-speed automatic
Layout: Front-engine, Rear-drive
Related: Triumph Dolomite​

Was a good, quick little car in it's day, with plenty of competition history. But, i always thought they looked like 🤬

Vinyl roofs and the sort of colours 70's Leyland cars usually came in - brown, murky yellow, dull blue, beige etc, really go against any sporting pretenses it had. Meh.

This is quite a significant car - I believe it's what PD used to develop the Physics for GT6

triumph-dolomite-06.jpg

:sly::sly::sly::sly:

Seriously, I always quite liked them. My old boss had one that was quite highly modified.... kind of retro modified style.. I'll give it a cool.

The Sprint gets a low cool. Decent power for a car that size along with some race and rally pedigree. I don't really dislike the design although it's hard for anyone to like the 70s colour palette. Far from the least cool BLC car to come out after 1970.

Last edited:
Meh. I find it to be rather weak. Horsepower is decent for its day for the engine of its size but idk. Plenty of better options.

I'll give it a meh, because i don't want Hammond driving this thing in TopGear be the only thing i can use to judge this.

Would have gone with meh, but went with uncool.

Decent performer for the time, but bland looks and horrible build quality knocked it down.

I was ready for a meh as the pic loaded from top to bottom and I started seeing the average british 4 door saloon body... until the front end loaded in the pic. DAT SPLIT GRILLE. Cool as heck.

Manual? Check. Decent power? Check. Rear-wheel drive? Check. Lightweight? Check.

Regardless of the looks, which are admiteddly unassuming but rather too much, and it's build quality, those four things always make a car cool for me.

Split between meh and cool. Because it isn't a.) an Alfa Giulia GTA or b.) a TR4.

Not uncool because it's not... shudder... a TR7.

The fourth most manly form of transport in the world, behind the Opel Mantra, the Citroen Visa, and riding a pony.

Upper cool for me, can't really justify SZ. I had some of my first driving lessons in my dad's Toledo (very similar to the Dolly but generally less poke) and that was an awesome car, nice little wooden dash and glovebox, suspension like a souffle though.

A low cool. Saw one take part in a rally near where I live a few times and it looked quite decent. However, it can't shake off it's BL image completely which drags it down.

Dolomite Sprint as a name gets this a Sub Zero, even if the car were to be a Hot Pink Prius with Dollar Bill rims from GTA:V

I'm going to break with my tradition of rating cars on displacement and give this a cool. Why? It's light, simple, has an available 3-pedal, and is (uexpectedly, for what would probably be a compact by U.S. standards) FR. This is what a compact car should be - no touchscreen "driver frustration system", no everything-by-wire, just the essentials of driving, and perhaps driving a bit more eagerly than strictly neccessary.

And, somehow, I really like the way it looks.

Very cool. RWD 70s sports sedans are usually at the minimum cool, and the Dolomite Sprint was/is cooler than most.
Split between meh and cool. Because it isn't a.) an Alfa Giulia GTA or b.) a TR4.

Not uncool because it's not... shudder... a TR7.
Eh? Any Alfa Giulia Sprint, GT Junior or GTV is an obvious automatic sub-zero, but what does that have to do with this Triumph?

Back