GTP Cool Wall: 1974-1986 Alfa Romeo Alfetta GT/Alfetta GTV/GTV/GTV6/GTV8

1974-1986 Alfa Romeo Alfetta GT/Alfetta GTV/GTV/GTV6/GTV8

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
United States
Wasilla, AK
1974-1986 Alfa Romeo Alfetta GT/Alfetta GTV/GTV/GTV6/GTV8 nominated by ziopaperone

2011116152931_Alfa_Romeo-Alfetta_GTV_6_2.5i_1980_800x600_wallpaper_02.jpg

Stats

Production
1974-1986

Styles
2-door coupe

Engines
96 ci/1,570 cc naturally aspirated DOHC inline 4 (rated 108 HP & 105 lb-ft)
109 ci/1,779 cc naturally aspirated DOHC inline 4 (rated 120 HP & 123 lb-ft)
120 ci/1,962 cc naturally aspirated DOHC inline 4 (rated 120 HP & 129 lb-ft in 1974-1979 spec or 128 HP & 131 lb-ft in 1979-1986 spec)
120 ci/1,962 cc turbocharged DOHC inline 4 (rated 148 HP & 170 lb-ft)
152 ci/2,492 cc naturally aspirated OHC V6 (rated 158 HP & 157 lb-ft)
152 ci/2,492 cc twin-turbocharged OHC V6 (230 HP & 245 lb-ft)
158 ci/2,593 cc naturally aspirated DOHC V8 (rated 197 HP & 199 lb-ft)

Transmissions:
5-speed manual

Layouts:
Front-engine, Rear-drive

Related:
Alfa Romeo Alfetta
Alfa Romeo Giuletta (nuova)
Alfa Romeo Alfa 6
FNM-Alfa Romeo 2300 (Rio)​

-Horsepower ratings in nomination were actually in PS and have been converted to HP.

-A 3-speed automatic transmission was available in the sedan, not sure about the coupe.

-Base V6 was listed as turbocharged in the nomination, I have a hard time believing that, but if it actually was, I can correct the post.

-Nomination listed the V8 as a possibly-turbocharged OHC V6. Actually, it was more or less the same engine used in the Alfa Romeo Montreal.

-The GTV8 was also incredibly rare - about 20 were built by Autodelta for a German Alfa importer in 1977. They were related to a 3-liter V8 Alfetta GTV rally car used at the end of the 1975 season by Autodelta, further development of which was abandoned when the plan to build 400 homologation specials was likewise scrapped.

-Peak power & torque RPMs are listed on Wikipedia and it seems Alfa Romeo/Autodelta managed to get some turbo tech from what was then the future - the Turbodelta 4 has more torque than than the base V6 (and of course all the NA fours) and a lower torque peak than either the base V6 or the NA 2-liter. Lower power peak as well, when compared to the V6.

-Callaway too, their twin-turbo special pulls from way down low. How they got these turbos to not be laggy and useless low down using 80's technology I don't quite know. Small turbos I guess? But for once I'm not going to argue with it.

-A different twin-turbo GTV6 was briefly built for Australia, but neither the nomination nor Wikipedia has any specs.

-Despite it not having any engines bigger than 3 liters, I'm now fascinated with this car and really want to see if I can find a well-kept GTV6 within my budget.

-Trying out a new format due to some adivce by @Azure Flare, should make it easier to read the spec list for cars like this that have many engine options.

Much easier to read. 👍

The 2.5L NA Busso V6 sounds heavenly, and it was designed by Giorgetto Giugiaro, so it looks sexy.

Sub-Zero.

Angular 70s Alfa design that was no less of a looker than its 60s predecessors. Right up until the last GTV6 13 years after production began. Not a bad range of engines throughout its life either.

Definitely cooler than the Giugiaro-designed Audi B2 Coupe, and perhaps even the Quattro. SZ.

Last edited:
Normally, most Alfas are uncool, but the V6 and V8 brings it up to Meh.

This car is proof of how people will fawn over Giugiaro/Alfa Romeo designs, even when they're not that good.:lol:

This particular Alfa looks quite similar to the Mk. III Capri, its not a bad design, but I certainly wouldn't classify it as beautiful. Going to give it a Meh.

I never quite got the fascination with the GTV. Nothing against the car, but it was a head-scratcher as I was growing up, compared to other, more standout enthusiast models from its time. Staying in Alfa land, it isn't as cool to me as an SZ (the rating is in it's name!), but FM4 got me to look into it more, and I'm more of a fan now. Unusual shape has aged well, and that noise can win over anybody.

A solid cool.

I never liked the way the Alfetta looked. Everything ahead of the B-pillar looks like it comes from a much nicer car than everything behind it actually delivers

Digging the new format, @White & Nerdy. Much better.

Jeremy Clarkson

Seriously Uncool.

I see your point, but he's owned a lot of nice cars... so... hmmm...

Gut instinct goes cool on this one... whatever else may be wrong with it...

Not the best Alfa. Some may even say not even a good Alfa. But still, Alfa.

Just say it, roll it out of your tongue: "Alfa".

Cool 👍.

One of my favorite European cars and a time frame where Europe stood on top of the world (late 70-mid 80s) in nearly anything car related. This to me is one of those reasons from the design and choices in fire power, but still not on level with actual SZ Alfas so it's a cool for me though close to SZ because of bias.

Last edited:
So unreliable it is laughable, but they look so smexy. Rusted away before the sales brochures hit the shelves. But Alfa v6.

Argh. This is a tough one.

Gut says cool, head says NO. Go away head, you are nothing but trouble.

Cool!

2.5l 6 cyl GTV's are very cool... they sound utterly gorgeous and handle nicely.

But unfortunately they suffer from all the usual Alfa foibles - rust, poor build quality, rust, poor driving position (long arms/short legs), rust, rubbish electrics, rust, and of course, rust.

Can look really nice with a small drop and some modern wheels...

alfa-romeo-gtv-3.jpg

Cool

Cool. Alfa's are cool cars but Top Gear ruin their appeal since many people only like them because three idiots on TV tell them to.

Close to sub-zero. But fails. Still gets the cool vote for em though. I admire this car, it has some appeal to it.

Now if this was a four seater to get rid of those dvidied windows on the sides, past the driver and passenger doors, i'd vote it Sub-Zero.

Close to sub-zero. But fails. Still gets the cool vote for em though. I admire this car, it has some appeal to it.

Now if this was a four seater to get rid of those dvidied windows on the sides, past the driver and passenger doors, i'd vote it Sub-Zero.
Those are there so there is a part that can be rolled down

Could be a sleeper with the V8 if it had some work done.

But otherwise uncool. It's just not appealing or interesting.

When it's on the move, a low Cool because of the engine sounds in higher models.

However, because it's actually an Alfa Romeo which means a substantially higher chance of it not moving about at all, Uncool because it doesn't strike me as particularly pretty.

Looks ugly. Was made during the dark period of cars.

image.jpg

The fact it's Italian saves it from seriously uncool.

Back