GTP Cool Wall: 1975-1981 Mercedes-Benz 450SEL 6.9 (W116)

• Thread starter Jahgee
  • 62 comments

1975-1981 Mercedes-Benz 450SEL 6.9 (W116)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jahgee

(Banned)
United States
New York
Jahgee1124
1975-1981 Mercedes-Benz 450SEL 6.9 (W116) nominated by @Doog
mercedes-benz-450sel-69-w116-1975-80.jpg

Body Style:
4 Door Sedan
Engine: 6.9L V8
Power Output: 286 HP
Transmission: 3 Speed Automatic
Drivetrain: Front Engine, Rear Wheel Drive
Additional Information: Engine was detuned to 250 HP for the US market. Top speed is 138 MPH. Suspension is hydropneumatic, self leveling. 0-60 time is 7.1 seconds. Cost $40000 to buy in 1977. Only 7380 were made. It weighs 1985 kg. (4390 lbs.)

Seeing as the only one in the US are intentionally slower than the ones sold elsewhere, I have to give it Seriously Uncool, the EU car would have gotten a Meh.

Meh. The huge engine and hydropneumatic suspension aren't cool characteristics and otherwise it's just another lump of unremarkable W116.

Seeing as the only one in the US are intentionally slower than the ones sold elsewhere, I have to give it Seriously Uncool, the EU car would have gotten a Meh.

Losing 13% of it's HP docks it two levels?

Considering the reason it was detuned - U.S. emissions laws - it seems unfair to hold it against the Merc itself. Give the SU vote to 'Murica.

Personally, I'm going with uncool. I never really could get on board with M-B styling during that era, and it seems like almost all of them that you see are either beige, brown, or bronze. SagarisGTB is right, a fairly unremarkable car.

Losing 13% of it's HP docks it two levels?

Considering the reason it was detuned - U.S. emissions laws - it seems unfair to hold it against the Merc itself. Give the SU vote to 'Murica.

Personally, I'm going with uncool. I never really could get on board with M-B styling during that era, and it seems like almost all of them that you see are either beige, brown, or bronze. SagarisGTB is right, a fairly unremarkable car.
It was a low Meh, almost Uncool, so really it's closer to 1

Gets a solid cool from me. This is a much cooler car than just about any modern Mercedes, in my opinion.

Solid cool for me.

I had the pleasure to test drive one of these after a complete restoration for 2 weeks. So much driving pleasure with the self leveling suspension. And it hauls ass. A true Autobahn machine.

Working on the suspension is a massive PITA though.

Normally I'd go with cool, but since it came from the dark era of cars when most everything else was garbage, it gets a Sub-Zero.

You see any American car from the late 70's and they're usually in pretty rough shape. These Mercs, however, tend to be in much better condition.

Meh. Probably sounds kickass though. I'd turn my head for it.

That's a problem.

No it isn't. A luxury car isn't made to be loud. It needs to bring you from point a to point b in comfort, a loud exhaust doesn't work with that.

Edit.

And it isn't the quickest of the line but it does hit 250 and just keeps it there as long as the Autobahn lets you.

No it isn't. A luxury car isn't made to be loud. It needs to bring you from point a to point b in comfort, a loud exhaust doesn't work with that.
Exhaust note makes or breaks a car for me.

I give absolutely 0 :censored:s about luxury.

"Slow" is relative. It's lighter than the full size American cars of the time, and way more powerful than anything short of a SD-455.

"Slow" is relative. It's lighter than the full size American cars of the time, and way more powerful than anything short of a SD-455.
Any big blocks in American anything from that time period made the same power as the US spec version of this car.

I agree though, it is lighter than an American full size of the period.

When I hit the jackpot I'm going to build a car with a 10-liter engine. Just so I can say I have a car with a ten-liter engine. :D
It's not hard to do for dirt cheap these days :lol:

Any big blocks in American anything from that time period made the same power as the US spec version of this car
In the 5 years preceding its debut, yes. That's the entire point. Not post-1974. The Cadillac 425 in the downsized Fleetwood Brougham was down 50 horsepower. The older 500 was down 60 horsepower. The 460 in the Continental Mark V was down 40 horsepower. The Trans Am 6.6 Liter was down 50 horsepower. The best engine you could get in a contemporary Corvette was down anywhere from 20 to 60 horsepower. The most powerful Chevy 454 was down 25 horsepower. The most powerful Oldsmobile 455 was down 35 horsepower. The most powerful Buick 455 was down 45 horsepower. Most of those engines were gone by 1977 anyway. The only one with any longevity or performance comparison are the infamous de-smogged 440 police package Plymouth Furys that gave Chrysler almost the entire police market in the late 1970s.

Back