• Poll closed .
United States
Orange County, NY
GTP_GT916
Nii916
1975-1996 Jaguar XJS nominated by @Liquid
Jaguar_XJS_3%2C6.JPG

Engines:
5.3L V12 (Jaguar 5.3/5.3 HE), 3.6L I6 (Jaguar AJ6), 4.0L I6 (Jaguar AJ6/AJ16), 6.0L V12 (Jaguar 6.0 HE)
Power: 5.3/5.3 HE: 282 hp; 3.6 AJ6: 221 hp; 4.0 AJ6/AJ16: 245 hp; 6.0 HE: 318 hp
Torque: 5.3/5.3 HE: 300 lb-ft.; 3.6 AJ6: 240 lb-ft.; 4.0 AJ6/AJ16: 289 lb-ft.; 6.0 HE: 353 lb-ft.
Weight: 1770-1824 kg
Transmission: 5-speed manual, 4-speed automatic
Drivetrain: Front engine, rear wheel drive
Body Styles: 2-door grand tourer, 2-door targa, 2-door convertible, 3-door wagon (coachbuild)
Additional Info: "Initially known as the XJ-S before the name was restyled in 1990, this is a classic example of beautiful British design and engineering; something which may very well work against it in polling. Commercially available as a hardtop, targa or convertible, the car was renowned for its big V12 engines and ultimate driving comfort. It was very successful in touring car racing and had a total production run of 21 years, with the slightly less beautiful facelift arriving in 1990.

Rare models include an estate with coachwork by Lynx, a super sports cabriolet and the one-off prototype Daimler badged model."​
XJS.jpg

CEZneKdWIAAsvXa.png:large

28btegp.jpg

101_0339.jpg

front-qtr-2.jpg

1024px-1996_Jaguar_XJS_conv_rear.jpg

They're just about creeping into the cool section. Old ones especially. The newer ones aren't so much cool as they look worse than the old ones and it was plagued by crap reliability.

Just scrapes a cool.

Just about starting to shake off the 'old man with tan leather driving gloves' image. Getting cooler as the years go by.

My soccer coach when I was little had a dark red V12 convertible that I thought was one of the coolest cars I ever saw. As I got older I figured out why I didn't see him driving it much...

Still a solid cool. Even if it is mostly in a "OMG your XJS actually runs" sort of way.

I really like these. In fact, I almost bought a silver on red early model coupe when I worked at a Jag repair shop in High School. Glad I changed my mind haha.

XJR-S is neat too. 313hp V12, 800 produced worldwide.
jaguar_xjr-s_5.jpg

Very low cool, seems like it's rare enough (at least in the states) where it would be interesting to see but not so outlandish that it's shouty about it.

Time to quote @homeforsummer again.

Nobody has ever said, "you know what's cool about my car? It hardly ever works". What they might say is "you know what's cool about my car? When I get it working, it's the best car I've ever driven".

The XJS is certainly a product of 'ingenious' British build quality but equally, it's definitely one of those "Yeah, but on its day..." type of cars; a gorgeous grand tourer.

Cool

Yeah, that's not gonna fly with the XJ-S. Especially the V12.

Wibbelywobbely all over the place.

The only one to have it as a great tourer is having stiffer, non rubber bushings all around. But then you migh get cocky and understeer yourself some place that's not tarmac.

However, it does love doing 200kph+ all day long, and with fresh stiff bushings it truly is a Autobahn monster.

Early model design highly trumps the later model. Especially the interior. The dash of the later models is just an eyesore.

Still gotta give it a really high cool, because well, I can fix them with my eyes closed, almost all of them smell like old leather on the inside, and with some minor exhaust tune ups the V12 gives you a glorious soundtrack.

Edit.

Almost forgot my fuel guzzlers top tip!

The early V12's have a fuel pressure regulator that can be swapped with one from the, I think it was the XK4.2 injection, and the V12 loves that.

Fuel consumption does rise a bit though. But hey.

Cluster pics!

Pretty:

Jaguar%20XJS%201978%20(Return%20Of%20The%20Saint)%20(22).jpg

Blegh!

424581-950-0.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sure that that is absolutely high quality real wood hand formed by the finest British craftsman.

But why on earth did they make it look so much like the plastic crap that people buy and glue to their Corvette stereos?

I never liked these, it didn't have the classic jag look and looked more of an 80s failure.

Allthough to most I think it would be considered a low cool.

Tom Walkinshaw ran these things in Australia. It's also got some style, which is what you expect in a Jag. Cool

I may be going against the tide of the majority here by saying that I've always seen this as a cool Jag. Sure, it lacks the outright class of the earlier E-Types or added brutish flair of the Series 3, but this always had that "ageing like fine wine" aura about it. And it simply has gotten better with age, with the exception of the revised '90s version. Abominable chrome-framed smoke wraparounds are abominable.

almost all of them smell like old leather on the inside

While others either smell of tweed, coke '80s strip clubs or LAW.

Like the XK is now, terribly uncool when new.

But ageing gracefully, and now quite handsome.

Low cool.

Back