Power: 5.7L V8 - 180 hp, 5.7L V8 (Diesel) - 120 hp
Torque: 5.7L V8 - 275 lb-ft, 5.7L V8 (Diesel) - 220 lb-ft
Weight: 1896 kg
Transmission: 3-speed automatic
Drivetrain: Front-engine, rear wheel drive​
Cadillac Seville 1978.jpg

7dfb906d48ca09fa23b98e52cb4bfcb7.jpg
1976-1979-cadillac-seville-cabin.jpg

Solid Meh. Not a bad car--apart from the Olds motor--and they had exceptional ride quality for their size and at that time, but, if I'm not mistaken, the only more expensive Cadillac at that time anyone [who could afford it] could drive off the lot was the Fleetwood 75. I still think the San Remos were simply stunning, though.

It's just another typical 80's american sedan, though, I do like it.

Balanced to meh for me, I don't find it cool, but ain't uncool either for me. Soft spot for it, kinda.

I still find it too attached to Florida retiree homes, plus that Diesel version is simply one huge Greek tragedy; impossibly weak, woefully inefficient and not even that economical. The Olds fuel engine doesn't fare that much better mind you, but at least it has some grunt. The Diesel engine is just plain gutless...

All of this winds up to an Uncool, borderline SU. And that "borderline" is due to my guilty pleasure for big American sedans...

Last edited:
One of those cars that are actually little bit more uncool than they were because of the wire wheels. It also reminds people of how white wall tyres should be left to the cars from the time when white wall tyres were still popular.

Looks like a comfy cruiser. Plus seeing as these aren't exactly the most loved or sought after cars, seeing one on the road in nice condition is pretty cool.

Went with cool.

For those complaining about HP/L, this was the late 70's, and the 5.7 was a non-turbo diesel.

Anything remotely classical American is cool here, but one of these in it's home country I would label as uncool due to the sheer amount of availability they have, where as the obscurity here is what makes it.

I looked at it and IMMEDIATELY laughed. And after seeing the stats, I guess my point is valid. Uncool

It's the one that all of the 1980s sedans copied.

Interesting...Now that I did not know.

If this basically the original, it's one I haven't voted uncool. There is other 80's sedan that do work though. Crown Victoria for instance? That's one hard to decide.

This predated the Matlockmobile by 3 years, and that was more of a bad copy of the downsized Caprice than the Seville (a copy of a copy, to wit). The Lincoln Versailles was the more straight Seville knockoff

Dons_LV.jpg

As was the even more shameless new-for-1980 Cutlass Brougham (and the rest of the refreshed cars on that platform):

CC-45-019-duo-vert.jpg

Last edited:
Seriously uncool. There's like, ho hum, a million reasons to hate this Cadillac boat.

• Bland, boxy, drab 70's styling.
  • Basically a Chevrolet that costed about 15K more money.
  • 5.7L Diesel V8 that produces almost no horsepower and no torque.
  • Has a bad image, colloquially known as an "old person's car". Or a car that some guy from the "hood" donked.
  • Not the most reliable.
  • Interior is full of plastics and fake woodgrain.
  • Bad for the environment (not as much for the diesel engine).
Sorry for sounding negative, but there is nothing cool about this behemoth of a car.

Like Cadillac's but got ruined by elderly people driving 20 to 30 MPH under the speed limit. Seriously uncool.

Nope. I'm an Americana aficionado, but this, just nope. Even that horrid, awesome diesel can't help it.

Uncool.

Back