GTP Cool Wall: 1976-1989 BMW 6-Series (E24)

• Thread starter Jahgee
  • 49 comments

1976-1989 BMW 6-Series (E24)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jahgee

(Banned)
United States
New York
Jahgee1124
1976-1989 BMW 6-Series (E24) nominated by @Dennisch
e24m6149K009.jpg

Engines:
2.8L L6 (M30B28), 3.0L L6 (M30B30), 3.3L L6 (M30B32), 3.5L L6 (M30B34), 3.5L L6 (M30B35), 3.5L L6 (M88/3)
Power: 628CSi: 181 hp; 630CS: 182 hp; 633CSi: 194 hp; 635CSi: 215 hp; M635CSi: 282 hp
Torque: 628CSi: 173 lb-ft.; 630CS: 188 lb-ft.; 633CSi: 209 lb-ft.; 635CSi: 224 lb-ft.; M635CSi: 246 lb-ft.
Weight: Base: 1450 kg; L6: 1583 kg; M6: 1619 kg
Transmission: 4-speed manual, 5-speed manual, 3-speed automatic, 4-speed automatic
Drivetrain: Front engine, rear wheel drive
Body Styles: 2-door coupe​

The M6. :lol: The fact that it weighs more than the rest of the 6 series versions is seriously uncool. Performance does not mean more weight.

Ok, so it is not a light car, we can all agree on that. On the other hand, it looks menacing and sleek at the same time (especially in the very first pic). Looks like something a mafia member would drive to scare kids away from the car. Not to mention the classic BMW inline-6 engines.

With the right color and engine spec, it is worthy of a SZ.

I had a 635CSi, it was my baby...

10400293_6918392244_8775_n.jpg

The car I wanted since I was 10, keep your Lambo's, Ferraris, Porsches and all that rubbish.... mine might not have been a perfect example, but man did I love it. Terrible metric tyres, a 3 speed auto, and an original blaupunkt cassette deck. Best car in the world ever, of all time. 0° Kelvin.

*except models that didn't feature chrome wrap-arounds (like mine did :)) or the ghastly fed-spec bumpered US examples.

edit: This is the car that got me into BMW's, and BMW's are what got me into cars, I thought this was cool before I knew anything about cars...

.... during edit ninja edit... holy crap... this is up for sale again.. http://www.4starclassics.com/BMW-Observer-Coupe-For-Sale/ dammit, less than a month before christmas bonus time too... I'm having a crisis.

Last edited:
I had to take a trip down Wikipedia Lane for the M635. What a bloater.

However, Rug Cunninham BMW ran a bone stock 1987 BMW M6 in the La Carrera Classic Race in Mexico in 1989, and reportedly recorded a top speed of 283 km/h (176 mph) indicated. An M6 can be distinguished from other E24 models by a larger front air dam, a rear spoiler, BBS wheels, colour matching side view mirrors, M badges on the grille and back, and slightly larger front brakes.

That word choice. Oh dear lord. Written by a 17 year old fanboy.

M635CSi disqualifies it from sub zero. Rest of the E24 family is cool as F. I'd love a 6er.

Upper cool from me. I do like most BMWs up til the 80s, it all went wrong for me in the 90s (except for the 8-series though that just caught the tail of the 80s) but I am warming to them again in the last year or two, with the likes of the i8 and one or two others. I wouldn't really want anything less than the 635CSi though, or an M3 instead :)

I don't get the problem with the M6? It was heavier, but had usefully more power and handled better (despite its weight)... M cars are pretty much always heavier than their standard counterparts....

Anyway... BMW I6 racing engines sound utterly awesome... and the cars look beautiful.

autowp.ru_bmw_635csi_dtm_3.jpg

autowp.ru_bmw_635csi_dtm_2.jpeg

autowp.ru_bmw_635csi_dtm_4.jpeg

Much better looking than the newest 6-Series versions and actaually as an air of desirability to it. Cool.

Mine is that it didn't exist. It was just what badge they put onto the M1-powered 635CSi when they sold it in North America.

To be honest, I'm struggling to think of a better qualification to be a 'single-digit M car' than being powered by the engine from the M1? Though, since there wasn't really an established naming convention at this point, I think the issues lay more with the market they were selling in to, than the marketeers themselves.

I learned from old text-books, deal with it :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest, I'm struggling to think of a better qualification to be a 'single-digit M car' than being powered by the engine from the M1?
It's a good reason, but BMW called it the M635CSi.

BMW USA called it the M6, and at that point it becomes a badging exercise.

It's a good reason, but BMW called it the M635CSi.

BMW USA called it the M6, and at that point it becomes a badging exercise.

... a badging exercise that then became the norm for the entire M brand... these days it's the likes of the M135i and M235i that get the stick for being badging exercises.

sorry about the double post by the way.

Uncool because this Slashfan-esque discussion (and the bit Liquid quoted) is probably pretty representative of its overall position most of the time it is brought up in car circles.

... a badging exercise that then became the norm for the entire M brand... these days it's the likes of the M135i and M235i that get the stick for being badging exercises.
Don't forget the M550d.

Similar reason though - they're an excuse to stick an M badge on anything. Not that you need an excuse, since you can buy M-Sport packs and even just M badges with your new 116. Here it's the PR flanges at BMW USA at the time deciding to sell it with a name that the people who actually made the chuffin' thing didn't give it in its home market.

Back