GTP Cool Wall: 1977-1979 Clènet Continental V8 (Series I)

1977-1979 Clènet Continental V8 (Series I)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
United States
Wasilla, AK
1977-1979 Clènet Continental V8 (Series I) nominated by Ferraridriver27

1979=clenet.jpg

Stats:
Production: 1977-1979
Style: 2-door, uh, coupe I guess. At least, I think that's just a vinyl roof.
Engine: Ford/Lincoln naturally aspirated OHV V8s, from 6.6 to 7.5 liters, rated 164 to 200 HP
Transmission: Probably a 3-speed automatic
Layout: Front-engine, Rear-drive​

You wouldn't believe how hard it is to find the specs on this car.

These modern-retro vintage cars are an appalling show of poor taste. They're in such bad taste that they almost come full circle to cool. But they're not. They're the dictionary example of seriously uncool.

Although, having said that. 200hp from 7.5 liters is pretty impressive.

To the untrained eye you're driving around in Cruella DeVille's car.

But you'll always know you're not driving around in a proper '30s car. Uncool.

The person who designed this was most likely still thinking it was the 1930's after being locked in a closet for 40 years.

Seriously Uncool.

What saves it from uncool for me is that it has a V8. A low powered V8, but still... yeah..

Totally got nothing against old ass cars that i don't know..

Resurrecting those deluxe 1930s car designs throughout the 70s and 80s was one of the least cool automotive ideas of that era (or any era for that matter). The only thing less cool than the idea itself were the pretentious lumps of crap that were spawned from it.

Though, to the Series I's credit, it pulled off the 30's roadster looks better than its replacement:

1980_Clenet_Series_II_Cabriolet_01.jpg

It wouldn't surprise me if that thing weighed as much as two 3000GT's.

Last edited:
My first thought on who might drive this car:

Cruella.jpg

I'm unsure what my thoughts are on her coolness, but I figure I'd look a total twerp driving one of these, so I've voted Seriously Uncool.

Close, but she drove this:

Panther_de_Viille_V12_1982.JPG

The 1974 Panther De Ville :)

Went with Cool.

Doesn't look as bad as some of the other 1930's style recreations from the 70's.

It's trying to fool people into thinking you have a car from the 30's, but it's from the seventies. I imagine it's quite heavy, and 200hp won't get much speed out of it. Seriously Uncool.

Lolwut? Fords big blocks were never that low on power. The 164hp rating for the 6.6 is correct but the 7.5 never went lower than 245hp and 385 lb-ft of torque. I don't know we're you got your rating from but that is not correct at all. You might want to change that so people don't get the wrong idea.

Anyways its meh. I would go with uncool but the fact it was made way out of its era is interesting.

I've read that the 460 went as low as 208hp in the early 70's. So the original statement that it made 200hp isn't incomprehensible, even if it is a little bit short of the actual figure.

I've read that the 460 went as low as 208hp in the early 70's. So the original statement that it made 200hp isn't incomprehensible, even if it is a little bit short of the actual figure.
The ratings changed depending on the application. All of them left the factory advertised as 245-260.

The early 70s were the best years for the 460.

I'm glad the last few CW candidates have come around to help further flesh out the SU side of things...

What @Cano said.

It looks like a design a cartel lord would've comissioned thinking he would look classy in the 80s.

VERY close to FerrariLaFerrariFerrarirari levels of uncoolness.

Excalibur is the main one that comes to mind:

internet-find-of-the-day-1979-excalibur-roadster-series-iii-up-for-grabs-28642_1.jpg

Wait, that was an actual car???? My cousin had a Majorette model of one of those and when I ended up with it I always thought it was a fantasy car made up by the toy company. It must be somewhere in my room :lol:

Last edited:
@Adamgp Don't forget the worst of all, the Zimmer Golden Spirit:
194561_11365544_1983_Zimmer_Classic.jpg

I knew I was forgetting one. Thanks. 👍

Wait, that was an actual car???? My cousin had a Majorette model of one of those and when I ended up with it I always thought it was a fantasy car made up by the toy company. It must be somewhere in my room :lol:

If you mean the 1/32 scale die cast, I had one too. It's still in my parents' basement somewhere. Mine is metallic green. :lol:

Back