Engines:
4.5L V8, 4.7L V8, 5.0L V8, 5.4L V8
Power: 240-345 hp
Torque: 286-369 lb-ft.
Weight: 1450-1620 kg
Transmission: 5-speed manual, 3-speed automatic, 4-speed automatic
Drivetrain: Front engine, rear wheel drive
Body Styles: 2-door coupe
Additional Info: "This was Porsche's first production V8 as well as the only 2 door Porsche to have a front mounted V8. The engine's timing chain is 7 feet in length."​

Curator's Comments: Yes, there is a typo in the poll title.

613285d1330875997-928-1988-928-s4-white-burgundy-interior-great-deal-driver-view.jpg

porsche-928-13.jpg

Porsche-928-GTS-729x486-3b848152d81aebf3.jpg

928web.jpg

Last edited:
I'm voting uncool. You'll always end up being the guy at parties telling everyone "It's a Porsche, you know!"

Mythbusters butchered a 928 for testing the backwards aerodynamics myth.
i353129.jpg
18n799kzbxkejjpg.jpg

That's straight up Uncool there and then.

Uncool. Always broken and in poor shape. No real motorsport heritage either.

Late model GTS' are more cool, as they are usually in good condition.
thumbnail_417.JPG

Last edited:
A Porsche. With a V8.

No.

Get out.

Get out of my house.

Take your things and go.

Ugly and unreliable.

Drive one and people will think you like to dance in your tighty whities to Bob Seger.

Also got beat around a track by a Z28 for 1/3 the cost:

@GranTurismo916 Thread title is wrong, says 1985 instead of 1995.

Awesome, very fast, underrated GT, back when "other" Porsches didn't still look like a distorted 911, and some even had an engine in the front. Great bang for your buck now, love it or hate it styling with those bug-like rear lights but I love it. SZ, just.

@GranTurismo916 Thread title is wrong, says 1985 instead of 1995.
I seriously hope the poll is only up until 1985 because my vote hinged very, very heavily on the years polled. Early 928s are much more dated looking and tend to turn up in far worse condition. Later ones are very pretty and have aged far better both by appearance and by condition.

It's somewhere in between cool and sub zero for me. Can't say no to the GTS version :sly:

Coolest Porsche ever in my book, nearing Sub Zero levels. Although I do have to agree, I massively prefer the refreshed models in contrast with the older ones, since the rear end on them just looks lost. Still brilliant though.

Slightly off-topic: also works unusually well as a ute:

928 pick up.jpg

I feel like this is the kind of car that would be loaded with bricks of cocaine and awful 80's pop music. Uncool.

Such a fine car. With a great engine. Should've really replaced that squashed bug we are still stuck with.

Hopelessly uncool though.

Great bang for your buck now

Maybe on the drive home after you bought it, because things break fast on older cars and since it's a Porsche, get ready to pay big time for the parts.

I seriously hope the poll is only up until 1985 because my vote hinged very, very heavily on the years polled. Early 928s are much more dated looking and tend to turn up in far worse condition. Later ones are very pretty and have aged far better both by appearance and by condition.
My original nomination is for all years, 1977-1995.

These particular front-engined Porsches (in addition to the 944s) always stick in my mind as cheapo old sports cars whose only purpose seems to be allowing the owner to be able to tell people "I drive a Porsche". There are two 1982 928s for sale in my area for $2700 & $2800. One of them is a non-street legal "drift car" with a salvage title, and the other is an automatic that runs but still looks a little beatup.

There are many other cars that are more uncool than this one. Doesn't save it from being uncool though.

At some point I want one of these. Probably when I have a good paying job to deal with parts costs, and once I'm done with the 240 (which could be never)

Cool, unlike myself.

Latest Posts

Back