1977 Ford F250 4X4

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
United States
Wasilla, AK
1977 Ford F-250 4X4 nominated by Slashfan

1977-ford-f-150-pic-42262.jpeg

Stats:
Production: 1977 (other model years not included)
Style: 2-door pickup truck, 4-door pickup truck
Engine: 240ci/4.1L naturally aspirated OHV inline 6 (rated 85 HP & 154 lb-ft), 300 ci/4.9L naturally aspirated OHV inline 6 (rated 117 HP & 223 lb-ft), 302 ci/4.9L naturally aspirated OHV V8 (rated 130 HP & 243 lb-ft), 351 ci/5.8L naturally aspirated OHV V8 (rated 156 HP & 262 lb-ft), 360 ci/5.9L naturally aspirated OHV V8 (rated 143 HP & 273 lb-ft), 390 ci/6.4L naturally aspirated OHV V8 (rated 195 HP & 276 lb-ft), 400 ci/6.6L naturally aspirated OHV V8 (rated 175 HP & 326 lb-ft), 460 ci/7.5L naturally aspirated OHV V8 (rated 225 HP & 380 lb-ft)
Transmission: 3-speed automatic, 4-speed manual (two different types), 5-speed manual
Layout: Front-engine, four-wheel-drive (part-time and full-time available, rear wheels powered when in 2WD)
Related: Ford F150, Ford F350​

Dear god...

How can the US get so little power from such massive engines?!!

4.1l I4 - 85hp

7.5l V8 - 225hp

:eek:
It was the early days of emissions and post-fuel crisis when horsepower was a myth.

That being said, this truck still had the horrible I-beam suspension, along with that lack of power.

It's "meh".

Dear god...

How can the US get so little power from such massive engines?!!

4.1l I4 - 85hp

7.5l V8 - 225hp

:eek:

If you knew the history behind it and the crap they were given without redesigning an entire engine series, let alone several engine series, you'd understand. This isn't a sports car, it's a work vehicle. ...and why should they? Gas was insanely cheap and the engines were reliable. No one asked for Ferrari horsepower when you bought on of these. You bought them to work, not go fast.

That being said, this truck still had the horrible I-beam suspension

4x4 models didn't have the Twin I-beam suspension (which was option), they had mono-shock leaf springs as well as the later 80s models but they lost the solid axle in the F250 for the split axle type Dana 44 TTB. Only 2WD models had that, and just about everyone at Ford Truck Enthusiasts will tell you that's just about the best suspension setup Ford's ever put in a truck, providing exceptional ride quality.

Those engines were tuned for low-end torque above all else, and were ruined by the EPA.

This. The engines ran low compression, retarded timing, mild camshafts, heavy air flow restricting in the heads and intake manifold, and terrible exhaust setups. In case you haven't forgotten, the 460's brother, the 429, is a well known performance motor, and, it's actually the same engine with a different crankshaft :D

What's that tell you about the 460 hehehe. Same with the rest of the engines. 390? 1968 Mustang in the movie Bullet anyone? Same engine but factory detuned people....

The 300 I6 rating is wrong IIRC. Should be closer to 125, I think at peak it hit 140.

Anyways....

Absolutely sub zero.

This is the pinnacle of pickup trucks. Despite the low power ratings, which we all know what was going on, they still have incredible power potential, and it's not uncommon to see them churning out in excess of 550 horsepower even in the small blocks. Loads of aftermarket parts, and make for very easy restoration projects.

These were the trucks you could just beat to hell and back, and they would never die. Granny gears in the transmissions made the impossible to tackle offroad possible. Gear driven transfer cases were a perfect combo...in short, these things had some of the strongest drivetrains you can buy in a vehicle. Ever heard of Dana 60 axles? Yeah, these bad boys had them factory stock front and back. Highboy models had incredible factory ground clearance, some even had very large tires designed specifically for offroading. They could haul nearly what new ones can, despite weak gas mileage (c'mon this is a 35 year old truck!). They had the thickest frames with just the right amount of give and flex when necessary, strong bodies, good power for the time etc. Pair that with the fact the are exceptionally easy to work on just makes a perfect combination. Also, the lack of a ton of electronics reduces risk of screwing up a computer when it gets wet. You could literally spray a hose through the cab to clean it out.

The 300 I6 alone gives it a sub zero, as that is one engine you simply cannot kill. Anyone that questions the 300 I6's reliability is a moron. It's that simple.

Even though all you see is the redneck lifted trashed trucks, in stock form from the factory and unmolested, they are great machines that last forever when taken care of properly. It is not uncommon to see a ton of miles on these things.

Then there is the sound of those V8's. They simply sound fantastic, something that cannot be beat in my eyes. Remember that GT390 Mustang in Bullet? Yeah, that motors in this puppy. How about the motor from the Fox Body Stang? Got that too.

Last of all, they have that recognizable styling you simply just cannot miss when seeing it go down the street. Fantastic design in my opinion. This is when a truck was simple, not this bull:censored: they call a truck these days.

Last edited:
Who cares. The styling, the reliability, the power potential, the sound, the brute strength and load they can carry all make it sub zero worthy.

You cannot simply sit there and tell me if you saw one of those drive down the street all shiny and nice you wouldn't turn you're head and stare. It just doesn't happen.

I'd say it's cool but the people who drive it generally aren't (No offense intended Slash!! the same could certainly be said about Skyline drivers after all)

I've always seen pick up trucks as very cool, I honestly think I find the XR8 ute in my driveway more appealing than any car I've ever owned and this one has such a great classic vibe to it.

However.. again there's no shaking the kind of people who typically own them.

Eh.. I suppose I'll say Cool but it really is just barely.

I've not once felt the urge to stare at a truck, going down the road or not.

You wouldn't look at this if was driving down the road? Right...

1977-ford-f250-ts5s1tfc.jpg

I'd say it's cool but the people who drive it generally aren't (No offense intended Slash!! the same could certainly be said about Skyline drivers after all)

None taken.

Besides, I don't think an 8 second 0-60 for a 6,600lb truck is to damn bad for something that apparently has no power. It's faster than a lot of crap out there if you think about it...

Since I won't vote "meh", I've gone for a very mild uncool.

There's nothing particularly wrong with it, it's just part of the landscape. It's square, like all trucks, it's practical, like all trucks, you can beat on it, like all trucks, and there are bajillions of them about, like all trucks. All worthy qualities, but none are particularly unique or cool. Equally, its worthiness and general lack of offensiveness keeps it from dropping to seriously uncool.

50s and 60s trucks are where it's at for me. Since this isn't one, it has to languish in uncool.

Who cares. The styling, the reliability, the power potential, the sound, the brute strength and load they can carry all make it sub zero worthy.
Donkeys are reliable, powerful, strong, can carry big loads, make sounds and are styled quite like horses.

They're still just asses.
You cannot simply sit there and tell me if you saw one of those drive down the street all shiny and nice you wouldn't turn you're head and stare.
Why can't I?

Notwithstanding the fact it couldn't fit on our streets, it's just a big, ugly hillbilly wagon. It's as cool as having your name tattooed upside-down on your shoulder blades so the guy you're... uhhh... "with" will at least remember it. And any woman riding in the passenger seat of that will give off the impression she has one of those tattoos.

50s and 60s trucks are where it's at for me. Since this isn't one, it has to languish in uncool.

Ironically enough it is a 1960s truck. This generation truck started in 1967 and went until 1979. Just about every part carries over minus a few exterior changes. All they did was update the body slightly each year and the engines.

it's just a big, ugly hillbilly wagon. It's as cool as having your name tattooed upside-down on your shoulder blades so the guy you're... uhhh... "with" will at least remember it. And any woman riding in the passenger seat of that will give off the impression she has one of those tattoos.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum38/

Post there. I think you'll find that is an entirely incorrect stereotype. Most people don't mod the crap out of them and lift them with 48" boggers like you seem to think, which tends to give off that impression.

Why?

I mean, you're irritating enough in isolation. What could possibly compel me to post about how cool I think this dross is on a forum made by fans of it?
I think you'll find that is an entirely incorrect stereotype.
And?
Most people don't mod the crap out of them and lift them with 48" boggers like you seem to think
Remind me where I said a single thing about lifted, modded trucks.

This "car" is a utility vehicle. It's a shovel. It's a belt. All it conjures up is an image of white-trash Americana. I think it's even less cool than the Koenigsegg from two days ago or W&N's Sunbird. It's less cool than a Prius on fire and I don't care what Ford truck fans think.

Holy. It's a Vapid Sadler! (GTA San Andreas)

I'm not going to make an argument (cause I'm as smart as a jar of pickles on this thing), so it's impressions are what matters to me.

I'll give it the meh, cause i don't have feeling that i like or hate. That simple, ladies and gentlemen.

(Expect me to stand in when a sporty Ford comes in *cough* Mustang GTR Concept *cough*)

Ironically enough it is a 1960s truck. This generation truck started in 1967 and went until 1979. Just about every part carries over. All they did was update the body slightly each year and the engines.
I'm not getting into technicalities here - you probably could have guessed I meant I'm interested in the more stylish, curvier stuff that ran from the 50s until - presumably - the mid-60s or so. Actually, I'd start even earlier really - the 1940-on V8s look fantastic.

I've nothing against the late-60s-through-70s models, I just don't find them cool. They're just bricks on wheels and largely indistinguishable marque-to-marque for those who aren't obsessed with one particular brand or another.

The "I don't give a damn about economy" attitude is cool, but the whole "country boy" sterotype makes me think of Alabama, and that's uncool for me.

Why? I mean, you're irritating enough in isolation. What could possibly compel me to post about how cool I think this dross is on a forum made by fans of it?

Because you'll see that a lot of people don't give off the impression you seem to think just about every owner with one of these vehicles apparently gives off.

And what? It was a statement that wasn't supposed to go anywhere :lol:

Remind me where I said a single thing about lifted, modded trucks.

I don't need to, seeing as how you pretty much implied it with your supposed stereotype.

Famine
This "car" is a utility vehicle. It's a shovel. It's a belt. All it conjures up is an image of white-trash Americana. I think it's even less cool than the Koenigsegg from two days ago or W&N's Sunbird. It's less cool than a Prius on fire and I don't care what Ford truck fans think.

Good for you. I didn't link you so you can see what they think. I linked you so you could see you are entirely incorrect, but clearly, that means nothing to you. It's the mindset of people like you that I will never understand. White trash...please.

I'm not getting into technicalities here - you probably could have guessed I meant I'm interested in the more stylish, curvier stuff that ran from the 50s until - presumably - the mid-60s or so. Actually, I'd start even earlier really - the 1940-on V8s look fantastic.

I've nothing against the late-60s-through-70s models, I just don't find them cool. They're just bricks on wheels and largely indistinguishable marque-to-marque for those who aren't obsessed with one particular brand or another.

Fair enough.

The "I don't give a damn about economy" attitude is cool, but the whole "country boy" sterotype makes me think of Alabama, and that's uncool for me.

Again with the moronic stereotyping...

Let me ask you all this...how many of you have actually taken something like this out for a rip in the mud? You might find you actually enjoy it :rolleyes:

Sub Zero.

Love that era of trucks. Simple, no frills, an absolute beast.

Did not know they were that quick either.

Let me ask you all this...how many of you have actually taken something like this out for a rip in the mud? You might find you actually enjoy it :rolleyes:
I'm assuming this wasn't aimed directly at me since I've not mentioned a thing about the way it drives, and haven't breached any stereotypes, but since you said "ask you all" I'm going to reply anyway.

I would almost certainly enjoy it, since I enjoy driving pretty much anything that moves under its own power. But plenty of cars I've enjoyed driving have been uncool, and driving this one wouldn't change my opinion on its coolness. Whether it's fun or not is largely irrelevant here.

I'm assuming this wasn't aimed directly at me since I've not mentioned a thing about the way it drives, and haven't breached any stereotypes, but since you said "ask you all" I'm going to reply anyway.

I would almost certainly enjoy it, since I enjoy driving pretty much anything that moves under its own power. But plenty of cars I've enjoyed driving have been uncool, and driving this one wouldn't change my opinion on its coolness. Whether it's fun or not is largely irrelevant here.

It was mostly a rhetorical question, but that's ok,

I do see your point 👍

Sub Zero.

Love that era of trucks. Simple, no frills, an absolute beast.

Did not know they were that quick either.

This.

And yeah, they go pretty good given their weight. Not bad for being stock. A stroked 460 would EASILY be able to get that down around 5 seconds, if not quicker in 4WD. Impressive for a big heavy "brick" I'd say.

Because you'll see that a lot of people don't give off the impression you seem to think just about every owner with one of these vehicles apparently gives off.
Then why do I need to post there? Surely just reading it is enough.

Which of course it isn't. People put up personas on the internet.
I don't need to, seeing as how you pretty much implied it with your supposed stereotype.
Please learn the difference between "implied" and "inferred". I implied nothing of the sort. You inferred it, for some reason. But since you're struggling:

I'm not talking about modded, lifted trucks. I'm talking about the "car" shown in the first post. That "car". Not what's in your head.
Good for you. I didn't link you so you can see what they think. I linked you so you could see you are entirely incorrect, but clearly, that means nothing to you.
What Ford truck fans say about Ford trucks means absolutely nothing to me. Reading their forum won't help anyone...
It's the mindset of people like you that I will never understand.

How many of [car you dislike/have voted less than cool] have you driven? You might find you actually enjoy it. :rolleyes:

You cannot simply sit there and tell me if you saw one of those drive down the street all shiny and nice you wouldn't turn you're head and stare. It just doesn't happen.
I can very much tell you that I'd do that. It's a truck. Not a particularly noteworthy one. Not a particularly stylish or fancy one. Not a particularly classic one. Just some old used truck that Ford made hundreds of thousands of every year. I'm going to turn my head and stare at it about as much as I'm going to turn my head and stare at every beige Taurus and aqua blue Lumina still on the road; because it is no more noteworthy than any of those are..

Famine wasn't the one who immediately posted this when questioned:
You wouldn't look at this if was driving down the road? Right...

1977-ford-f250-ts5s1tfc.jpg

@Famine

You crack me up :lol:

Not a particularly noteworthy one.
Are you out of your mind? Not a particularly noteworthy one? WHAT?

Oh. My. God.

This is IT. Why do think these trucks have such a big following over everything else then? This is the absolute pin.na.cle of trucks. The best of the best. The strongest of the strongest. Easily one of the most sought after pickups ever built.

Famine wasn't the one who immediately posted this when questioned:

And that equates to being a redneck how? It's got 32's on it. Last time I check, the tires on new ones were bigger with more rim and less tire. Yet somehow, having a sidewall makes you a redneck...

This has got to be the most closed minded forum I've ever been on.

You're a redneck for having a sidewall on a tire. Ha.

Last edited:
Looks like a typical hilbilly truck. Probably owned by some guy who lives in the middle of nowhere in the deep south.
Probably used a lot in movies as the vehicle for the 'typical serial killer' type character who has a beard.

If you drove one in the US, you'll be branded a hilbilly type character. Over in Yorkshire, the only thing people will think is that you have a lot of money saved up to pay for it's fuel and probably question why you need it instead of a Golf diesel.

But. In the event of an apocalypse, this would be a great survival tool. On that basis, it's cool.

Unbelievable.

We are talking one of the best pickups ever put on earth (public opinion not mine), and it's an automatic blegh. This is hysterical.

Looks like a typical hilbilly truck. .

No. This is a typical hillbilly truck.

IMG_1574.jpg

Last edited:
This is IT. Why do think these trucks have such a big following over everything else then? This is the absolute pin.na.cle of trucks. The best of the best. The strongest of the strongest. Easily one of the most sought after pickups ever built.
So what? The prettiest and most sought after naked mole rat is still a frelling gargoyle.

It's a pickup. It's a donkey. It's about as cool as contracting avian flu.

Back