• Poll closed .

Wiegert

Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
1978-1979 Dodge Magnum XE / GT nominated by @Razor440

Dodge_Magnum_(Auto_classique_Combos_'14).jpg

Body Style: 2-door coupe
Engines: 5.2L V8, 5.9L "Lean Burn" V8, 6.6L V8 (1978 only)
Power: 140 hp (5.2), 155 hp (5.9), 190 hp (6.6)
Torque: 246-305 lb-ft
Weight: 1830-1900 kg
Transmission: 3-speed TorqueFlite automatic, column or floor shifter
Drivetrain: Front-engine, rear wheel drive
Additional Information: Built In Canada.
Last Dodge Richard Petty used in NASCAR. Reason being lack of support on the 360 V8 and problems in high-speed traffic.
Compression ratios were lowered in a effort to please the EPA. However, this makes supercharging easy with these cars.
Optional T-Tops.
Last Dodge to use the "B-Body" platform, originating from the mid-60's.
GT models added stripes.​

dodge-magnum-1979-8.jpg

3467202754_877d021603_b.jpg

2.JPG

13.jpg

Magnum GT interior.jpg

Last edited:
This is so painfully late-70's. I'm convinced that this car is only allowed to play Stevie Wonder and Earth, Wind, & Fire 8-tracks.

Uncool

No redeeming qualities whatsoever; I look at it as just a "Dodged" 4th gen Le Mans, right down to the available 6.6L V8.

T-top with gaudy red interior? You can not very well go meh with that leaving only cool or uncool, I'm on the fence so I'll go with cool. That black model reminds me of going to a 70's lounge in the bad part of town.

That may not be enough
Plenty for a personal luxury coupe among similar vehicles and with a max posted speed limit of 55mph.
compared to useful and lighter
What European coupe of the period boasts the kind of trunk space these offered? If you're buying a coupe, what's useful?
The newly minted LTD and downsized Caprice were quite a bit lighter than the 1962 holdover Magnum was, however.
I'll give you that. And frankly, I'd take a '78 LTD over a Magnum without batting a lash--I love the pillared Landaus.

And frankly, I'd take a '78 LTD over a Magnum without batting a lash--I love the pillared Landaus.

Well, the 1978 was still pre-Panther. That one... very much wasn't lighter than the Magnum. The horrible Gran Torino LTD II would be your huckleberry in that case.

I so want to vote cool, low cool, on this. I like how it's the least feminine looking car I've ever seen. But it has those terrible oil-crisis power/capacity figures, that I can only stretch to a meh.

Eh, I honestly think it's cool, even for a malaise era car. It looks great during a time when most American cars looked like 🤬 and it is so late 1970's that I can't help but love it. I will say this though: the engines that came with it, especially 190 HP out of a 6.6 liter V8, were underpowered as hell. I know this was during the oil embargo when pretty much every American car made low horsepower figures, but come on, a 1974 Firebird Trans Am made 290 HP! Couldn't they have tried harder? The Magnum is one Hellcat engine swap away from becoming cooler than Antarctica.

Not even this?

IM000160.jpg
Not even. Fifth gen is my preferred Ranchero, with sixths barely coaxing an eyebrow raise out of me; sevenths are hideous--right there with fourth generation El Caminos and Sprints.

:lol: I can see that, I like the sixties one, just wanted to point out there was something 1/2 worth something come out of the II.

I like the sixties one
I realize this is OT, but which '60s? Mind you that particular decade had Rancheros based on four different models--Falcon ('60-5), Falcon/Fairlane ('66 model built on the Fairlane platform but with sheetmetal shared with the Falcon), Fairlane ('67) and Torino ('68-9).

I like non-Mustang Fords (and Mercurys) of the '60s and '70s. :P

Fairlane Ranchero so I guess that would be a '67. I always seem to like the '67's for some reason in many U.S. muscle type cars.

How on Earth did Dodge decide to reuse the name of this thing on such a cool car?

Power? Nah. A measly 190 horsepower...though it can't be that bad...right? Aerodynamic? Hell no, it's the reason why Petty ditched Dodge. It's got good looks for what it is, though. If you like the Magnum (or if your really unhappy with it), check out its cousin, the Chrysler Cordoba.

image.jpeg

Cool.

I like it. Power is typically victim of the oil crisis and matches similar cars/engines of the era (eg. Firebird Trans-Am 6.6 was around 180hp). Styling is a little vulgar, but not overly so and I'm kinda drawn to it. Solid Cool.

Back