GTP Cool Wall: 1978-1985 Mazda RX-7

  • Thread starter Thread starter Wiegert
  • 41 comments
  • 4,332 views

1978-1985 Mazda RX-7


  • Total voters
    118
  • Poll closed .

Wiegert

Premium
Messages
13,409
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
1978-1985 Mazda RX-7 nominated by @All Your Base

1st_Mazda_RX-7_--_04-11-2012_2.JPG


Body Style: 2-door coupe
Engines: 1.1L 12A 2-rotor, 1.1L 12A Turbo 2-rotor, 1.3L 13B RE-EGI
Power: 100-135 hp
Torque: 105-133 lb-ft
Weight: 1,000-1,100 kg
Transmission: 4-speed manual, 5-speed manual, 3-speed automatic, 4-speed automatic
Drivetrain: Front engine, rear wheel drive​
SavannaRX7 1.jpg

RX7greenB.jpg

former_0036l.jpg

CC-35-003-800.jpg
CC-35-005-800.jpg

1984-1985_Mazda_RX-7_(Series_3)_coupe_01.jpg
FB-mazda-savanna-RX-7-interior.jpg
18428715-700-0.jpg
 
The RX-7 nearly everyone forgets about. Probably with good reason as it looks quite bleugh in stock form. Also rotary fanboys.

Uncool.
 
Not really cool when new, and hasn't aged particularly well... and even the modding crowd doesn't seem to like them much.

The 2 tone brown one in the additional pics is hilarious :lol:

Uncool
 
These are so nice to drive for its age. Better than the FC in my opinion.

SZ.
 
Hood mirrors are pretty cool, but the styling is blegh and the rotary isn't helping it.

Uncool.
 
Meh, they seem alright. Nothing about it is particularly cool nor uncool.
 
Cool as long as you don't talk about the engine.
I think Wankel engines are cool, but they're not without fault. Fuel economy being one.
 
These are so nice to drive for its age.
This. They remain composed [as long as the tires aren't old enough to buy liquor] without being boring. Can't agree with the vote, though--it's still a rotary. Cool.

And it's not the typical Faster & Furiouser fanboy's wet dream. 👍
 
Cool if it's the green one in the pictures above, with no spoilers and wing-mounted mirrors. Uncool if it's the two-tone brown one, or the slightly shabby looking one in the main image.

In other words, a car that depends very much on configuration and condition. Fine line between neat classic and tired banger.
 
When I turned 16 I purchased my first car, a 1985 RX-7 GS Automatic with 99k miles for $1,600 that I had saved up with my ~$100/week paychecks. It was dog slow and it needed paint, but I was the coolest person in my high school. Since then I have purchased two more of these, and it's a goal of mine to purchase another in the near future.

Cool.
 
I think Wankel engines are cool, but they're not without fault. Fuel economy being one.
I've heard that it actually isn't so cool to explain that you really did mean wankel and not something else.
 
Always thought of the FB as the Porsche 924's cool, younger Japanese cousin that gradually lost charm over the course of three series'. Plus I don't think louvres suited them either.

Still a high cool.
 
Isn't this the one that's known for having a natural habitat of being up on cinderblocks in someone's yard?

Cool.
 
I'd say the early ones are just about becoming cool by now.

Fine line between neat classic and tired banger.

This. I think the bangers have mostly disappeared by now, either scrapped or restored into something more desirable. Still a relatively cheap just about classic sports car, all the same.
 
Last edited:
Perhaps not an ideal daily driver, but this is 2015, and the car is over 30 years old, so not likely to be a huge consideration for most. Always liked the styling, really stood out from the crowd at the time. I remember I had Top Trumps at the time which put the capacity at "2x585cc", confusing the hell out of me and probably lost me a few goes. Was a long time before I got to understand the *ahem* joys of rotaries. It's still a damn Cool car though.
 
Last edited:
You will never see one of these at East Coast Bash or whatever kids are doing these days.

Cool.
 
Tried to look like and sort of be like a Porsche 924 but cheaper and a little different in its own way.

Cool.
 
Win Percy's cider vinegar powered dream machine.
 
I think this is the only cool RX-7, they only get less cool from here.
 
With the wing-mounted mirrors, it so is. And the boot spoiler, of course.
 
I wouldn't go so far as to say it looks better than its successors but it does look pretty damn Cool in good condition.

017.jpg


Rotary stops it from Sub-Zero.
 
The Wankel Spider introduced the rotary engine to the world, and the Mazda Cosmo showed the audience that the rotary engine had potential to sports cars, but the first-gen RX7 made the rotary engine mainstream. If the first-gen RX7 did not have the fans and sales that it did, there would be no FC, FD, RX8, and 787B. This car is important because it introduced the rotary engine to the masses, and without it, only a select few people would know that Mazda made rotary engines. It also has great looks (IMO) and good performance for it's time.

Sub-Zero.
 
Back