Engines:
1.4L Turbo I4 (Renault Cléon)
Power: 158 hp
Torque: 138 lb-ft.
Weight: 970 kg
Transmission: 5-speed manual
Drivetrain: Mid engine, rear wheel drive
Body Styles: 3-door hatchback
Additional Info: "Created in response to Lancia's success with the Stratos, Renault's vice president asked Marcello Gandini to design a new sports version of the Renault 5 Alpine supermini. Renault unveiled the 5 Turbo in the Brussels Motor Show in January 1980. Even though the standard 5 was front engine, front wheel drive, the 5 Turbo was instead mid engine, rear wheel drive. Driven by Jean Ragnotti in 1981, the 5 Turbo won the Monte Carlo Rally on its first outing in the WRC. The 2WD R5 turbo soon faced the competition of new Group B four wheel drivecars that proved faster on dirt. Once the homologation models were produced, Renault introduced the Turbo 2 that was less expensive, but featured more stock Renault 5 parts with the same specs as the Turbo 1. The concept of a mid-engined small Renault returned with the 1998 announcement of the Renault Clio V6."​
renault5turbo21.jpg

Renault_5_Turbo_2_001.jpg

renault_5_turbo.jpg

Renault_5_Turbo-RockvilleMDshow2007.jpg

renault-5-turbo-08.jpg

84-Renault-Turbo-2-EA-04.JPG

How the French should always build their cars. Madness in a tiny, excellent to drive package.

And, old school turbo. It almost got me once. Thankfully the grip saved me. Sub Zero. I can still feel the smile on my face.

Solid cool. Wild configuration as for as the drivetrain, but man it's ugly. Purposeful, but ugly.

Not really a good car for date night is it?

This car is slightly rose tinted. It's based on an unreliable supermini built by a nationalised car firm with a hideous bodykit stuck on it, changed to an MR layout, then entered in rallies where, despite promise, it's outclassed by better funded and more advanced opposition.

Oh, hang on. Are we talking about the Renault 5 Turbo or MG Metro 6R4?

Still Cool but with reservations.

Last edited:
Hot hatches are meh. Hot hatches with rear wheel drive are cool. Hot hatches with mid-engine, rear wheel drive are Sub Zero. Hot hatches with mid-engine, rear wheel drive and a rally pedigree; get it to the frickin' Ice Box!!!

Personally, I'd say it's incredibly ugly and probably wouldn't want to drive one. Can't deny that I'd consider the driver to be sub zero if I ever saw one driving down the street, though.

Hideous, and safety equipment probably stops at seatbelts and a prayer to your chosen deity.

If I cared any at all about the rally car version, maybe it would go higher, but I can't go any higher than Uncool.

"Dude, they did what?"

Is it cool to passers-by who know nothing of cars? Nah. But anyone who has any interest in things with motors will quickly realize exactly what's happened here.

Cool.

It's ridiculous and will almost certainly kill you if you aren't careful with that short wheelbase.

Very cool.

Back