Wiegert

Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
1980-1990 Austin / MG Metro nominated by @Wiegert

metro 1.png

Body Style: 3-5-door hatchback
Engine: 1.0 L A-Series I4, 1.3 L A-Series I4, 1.3 L A-Series turbo I4
Power: 42-48 hp (1.0), 60-72 hp (1.3), 93 hp (1.3 turbo)
Torque: 53-85 ft-lbs
Weight: 760-865 kg
Transmission: 4-speed manual, 4-speed automatic
Drivetrain: Front-engine, front-wheel drive​

Nomination doesn't include the road-legal 'Clubman' or 'International' 6R4s.

7623906272_7ac16862d5_b.jpg
Thornton-2_2219139k.jpg

7189607968_c6cf42a0da_b.jpg
mg_metro_turbo_front.jpg
retroridesimages.azurewebsites.net.jpg
austin-metro-vanden-plas-13.jpg
6197413391_aae6f6bcd9_b.jpg
1024px-1980_Austin_Metro_1.0_L_interior.jpg
MG_Metro_F143TBL_13.jpg

The MG models were more fun but as this is the whole range, this averages out none too well. In typical Brit manufacturer style of the time, these used the creaky 998 and 1275cc engines of the car it replaced (or kinda didn't?), in a heavier and less nimble shell. Perhaps back then it was more par for the course, but looking back it reeks of cynicism and lack of ambition.

I remember one being for sale around here and thinking 'man that would be so cool, could turn it into a 6R4 replica.' I suppose that's the problem though, it's not the 6R4.

A god awful desirable car.

It's actually my very, very first car memory when my dad got one aged 19 in 1992.

Uncool

MG%20Metro%20(1).jpg

mgmetroturbo3.jpg

My old man had a normal MG which dramatically destroyed a front wishbone or something on a bump near the bottom of a big hill - not a good experience.

I thought these were more powerful than what they actually were, with the normal MG (72bhp) and the Turbo (93bhp).

Meh / cool.

I had a '95 Metro 1.1 Rio as my first car, then went up in the world as my second car was a 114 gta. Those two cars taught me all about maintaining your speed to make progress, and to take a really good run up to all hills.

I'm bias but I like these things!
Cool ish...
I'll get my coat :D

I knew about the Group B rally car, but never thought to look up the car it was based on.

How very underwhelming.

Uncool.

The fact that BL had the sheer cheek to try and replace the Mini with the Metro is enough evidence to make it vastly uncool in my book :lol:. Either way, never been fond of the Metro, as it was and still is a heap of junk, and very lackluster and uninspiring junk at that. But it managed to live on for 18 years, evolving into the Rover Metro/100, which is bad enough.

Would always have the 6R4 of the base Metro, though (thankfully) the 6R4 shares nothing but a few cosmetics.

So with that, as you can probably tell, not a fan of the Metro :P:yuck:, so Seriously Uncool it is.

I had one as my first car. It was a hateful little ****-box.

Still A-series powered but with none of the charm of the Mini which it replaced.

My first ever car was the newer "Rover Metro" so I have a bit of a soft spot for them overall but even I realise they are utter arse. Uncool. (But I would still have one...)

As a side note the Rover Metro is hilariously scary with a 1.8 K-Series in it. :lol:

It's a car. I would say it's harmless, reliable motoring but it's British Leyland so it is immediately an Unreliable :censored:box.

The 6R4 is Sub-Zero, The regular Metro is the absolute opposite of that.

Am I the only one who quite likes this little thing?
Nope! My first impression was that it's a neat little car, probably a ton of fun to beat on. I dunno about it being cool, but I definitely like the car. But having never seen or heard about the car in my life before this thread then I have no reasons to hate on it. :lol:

They rebranded it, you fool!

View attachment 667545

"I'm not driving a Mini Metro
I'm not driving a Mini Metro
I'm not driving a Mini Metro...."

The Rover model was killed off by a variety of things including, but not limited to:
- Extreme amounts of rust everywhere (primarily the wheel arches)
- Crumpling like tinfoil in a crash
- Head gaskets that may as well have been made from paper

Mine had the wheel arches repaired fairly early on in it's life but eventually succumbed to rust in the floor pan. Other than that it was actually one of the most reliable cars I've ever owned.

It was a total chav-fest though. It ended it's life as a 1.1 fitted with:
  • GTi bodykit
  • GTi wheels
  • GTi spoiler
  • GTA rear lights (smoked white indicator lenses)
  • GTA black cloth interior
  • Clear side indicators
  • Body coloured mirrors and bonnet vents
  • Removed bump strips all round
  • "Bee sting" aerial
  • Sony head unit
  • Re-carpeted boot with 12" Mutant sub-woofer in custom enclosure with blue neons
  • 2 sets of Fusion component speakers on parcel shelf and in custom moulded door panels
  • 2 x Mutant amps powering it all
  • "Cherry bomb" exhaust (it was stupidly loud)
  • Momo "Race" steering wheel :lol:

Due to the colour of the car (a fairly rare silver/blue finish) and the fact they never made a GTi in that colour it was pretty unique but then so was John Merrick.

EDIT: Now complete with what I thought was a cool photo

wales2jj1.jpg

Last edited:
- Crumpling like tinfoil in a crash

As my uncle and granddad can attest to* with the original Metro. Almost cost them a leg each.

Surviving MG and Vanden Plas models might get as much respect as a Montego. Any standard Austin stands as one of the most detestable things on ever to turn a wheel. Stepdad went through 3 in as many years and all fell foul to the usual problems. Pure rot.

*Something that the joyriding pillocks in the other oncoming Metro never got the chance to do.

Latest Posts

Back