Weight: 980 kg
Transmission: 5-speed manual
Drivetrain: Front engine, front wheel drive
Body Styles: 3-door hatchback​
ritmo2-jpg.263427

60-jpg_650-jpg.263428

125abarth4-jpg.263429

img-1209493370-jpg.263430

Ok, let's start by saying that the Ritmo is not really a pretty car. But despite all that, it's still one impressive hot hatch. The fact that Abarth still tried to make a beast out of such a wonky car deserves a commendation. Did it work? Somewhat well, but not without its issues. Still, I think it is slightly on the cool side, so that's the rating it is going to get.

The steering wheel and those dials do it for me. Would put you right in the mood for some helmsmanship :D

What I always knew as the Strada. Apparently the portmanteau of "Ritalin" and the nickname of Guantanamo Bay is much cooler...

Never seen or heard of it until now. If it didn't have the Abarth name I would've called it uncool. Meh

Was there any difference in the UK spec?

I'm sure it was badged the 130TC over here.
Ah yes, here it is;
Fiat_Strada_130_tc_Abarth.jpg

I do like it as it brings back fond memories of my Dads Fiat 132 2000 of the same era but I'm afraid it's a 'meh' from me.

I don't think it's an unreasonable assumption to say that this car is probably awful beyond all belief.

I don't think it's an unreasonable assumption to say that this car is probably awful beyond all belief.

I think it was based on this assumption (or partly because Fiat simply couldn't be bothered to develop it for RHD market until the 80s facelift arrived) that led to the 125 version of the Ritmo never officially reaching UK shores as a Strada 125. The 130 we ended up with did have more guts in a somewhat less awful (and less lively-looking) package though.

"Mini Delta" is an apt enough description since they both shared basic engine components. These also lack most of what makes a Delta so damn cool in the first place. Unless you're referring to the early Deltas that were on the market during the same period as the 125. Both are uncool in that case (either too dull or too tacky), but also very likeable all the same.

Loving how none of the non-studio pics feature straight doors.

-

It's a cute widdle thing, ain't it? Plastic bumpers. Aerodynamic grille block. Non-aerodynamic (and likely nearly useless) hood scoop. Plastic fender flares. Ugly and mismatched detailing around the pillars and front window.

Still... 80's-tastic wheels. I'm a sucker for 80's-tastic wheels. Cool.

There's no getting around that nobody, anywhere, would ever look cool pulling up in one. Too ugly for women to consider cute, and too nerdy for guys to look cool in.

Italian hatchback, check.
Quirky styling without getting to the ugly section, check.
Super rare, check.

Cool.

IIRC, they were quite decent to drive. But anything Italian from that era is an unreliable rust bucket.

Uncool.

I like these a lot, and that's a fair gob of power for the era, and weight. Looks are coming more into season (or perhaps I am just a sucker for very 80s cars) and it's something a little different to the "usual" Golfs or 205s. Very solid to upper Cool.

I'm sure it was badged the 130TC over here.
The Abarth 125TC became the Abarth 130TC after the 1982 facelift.

Cool hot hatch that was fast and drove very well. Too bad about the build quality and the quality of the steel they were made from. A rusty nightmare :scared:

Abarths are cool. Period. I don't care if it's ugly or assymmetrical. It's an Abarth and even non car people have heard of Abarth and they think they are cool.

Back