• Poll closed .
United States
Orange County, NY
GTP_GT916
Nii916
1981-1990 Isuzu Piazza/Impulse nominated by @SomePlayaDude
isuzu_piazza_1981_wallpapers_1.jpg

Engines:
2.0L SOHC I4 (Isuzu G200Z), 2.0L DOHC I4 (Isuzu G200WE), 2.0L Turbo I4 (Isuzu 4ZC1-T)
Power: G200Z: 101 hp; G200WE: 115 hp; 4ZC1-T: 140 hp
Torque: 163 lb-ft.
Weight: 1140 kg
Transmission: 5-speed manual, 4-speed automatic
Drivetrain: Front engine, rear wheel drive
Body Styles: 3-door hatchback
Additional Info: - ""An Isuzu Impulse has more power than a Honda Prelude and a Toyota Celica GT combined."

- Designed by famed car designer Giorgetto Giugiaro: man responsible for the Golf Mk. 1, the DeLorean DMC-12, the Ferrari 250, the Lotus Esprit.. we should be familiar by his brand (Italdesign) or his name alone.

- Late models received a suspension update by Lotus, in which Isuzu made it their selling point in addition to being cheaper than its rivals.

- This ad for a hatchback."​
1024px-1982_Isuzu_Piazza_%27Nero%27_Coupe_%286536490241%29.jpg

Isuzu-PiazzaNerorear.JPG

IsuzuImpulse_01_2500.jpg

1st_generation_Isuzu_Piazza_rear.JPG

PIAZZA-04.jpg

5131368125_0d65d0472a_o_d.jpg

"You want to make a sterilized knockoff of my original Scirocco for the second gen Volkswagen? I'll show you how to make a sterilized knockoff of my original Scirocco."

- Guigaro, allegedly.

Last edited:
Gola, Target & Netto present: 2-door Toyota Celica. It's not that bad looking, mind.

Uncool

SomePlayaDude
"An Isuzu Impulse has more power than a Honda Prelude and a Toyota Celica GT combined."
By the time this made it to countries that called it "Impulse" instead of "Piazza", the Celica was up to 105 horsepower. I comparatively don't know much about Hondas that are that old, but I don't think Honda equipped the Prelude with a 35 horsepower engine.

By the time this made it out of Japan, the Celica was up to 105 horsepower. I don't know much about Hondas that are that old, but I don't think Honda equipped the Prelude with a 35 horsepower engine.
And even if they did, it would be a silly comparison. After all, a Mercedes E Class has more power than a Jaguar XF, BMW 5 Series, and Audi A6 combined. (E63 AMG S - 585 bhp, base XF - 163 bhp, base 5 Series - 150 bhp, base A6 - 190 bhp).

Hmmm, this is going to be another one of those cars that I vote with my heart, I love these and if I ever saw one it person I'd go nuts over it. So cool.

Reasonably cool back in the day. Not now.

I don't remember the ones we had the UK having those terrible wing mirrors.

Uncool.

And even if they did, it would be a silly comparison. After all, a Mercedes E Class has more power than a Jaguar XF, BMW 5 Series, and Audi A6 combined. (E63 AMG S - 585 bhp, base XF - 163 bhp, base 5 Series - 150 bhp, base A6 - 190 bhp).
Plus it seems to be neglecting that there was a pretty big reason that the best spec Celica you could get was somewhat down on power compared to the best Impulse and the best Starion and the best RX-7 and the best 200SX:

1983_toyota_supra_2_dr_liftback_p-type-pic-44850.jpeg

I went to a Japanese car show today. There were half a dozen of these there, since a club had turned up. I virtually never see them, but I still wasn't that interested in taking a closer look. It has some appeal, but it's a bit too anonymous to be cool.

Was just gonna go with uncool, because the fender mirrors on the OP save it, but then I watched the ad.

SU.

I love these. Can understand the looks being kinda marmite but does it for me. Nippy enough, RWD...upper Cool knocking on SZ, and future classic status I reckon.

It looks like a VW Scirocco knockoff that has been deliberately made less attractive from every angle.

Almost gave it a Cool for those ridiculously-80's wheels on the cream example, but then I remembered that no, Joe Public would find those beyond awful.

Interesting enough to me, but certainly not Cool. Uncool it is, then.

Horrible looking car, but the fact it#s rwd and it has 140 hp saves it from being seriously uncool, so uncool it is.

Interesting to see people calling this ugly. I'd agree if they said it looks plain, but I don't necessarily think it's ugly.

Strikes me as a practical car to drive, but you'd probably look like a dweeb driving one.

Uncool

I think we only got the Turbo model in the UK. It had the same engine as the Lotus Elan and chassis tweaks by them too, which did give it a degree of coolness. But at the time Izuzu were just an obscure Japanese manufacturer with no identity in this country, making the Piazza an oddball choice in a segment (small coupe) which was thriving at the time. Meh.

Back