1982-1986 (?) Lancia Rallye 037 Stradale

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
United States
Wasilla, AK
1983-1986 (?) Lancia Rallye 037 Stradale nominated by C-ZETA

lancia-037-12.jpg

Stats:
Production: Unknown, examples may have been produced as early as 1982 or as late as 1986. May attempt to find better information later.
Style: 2-door coupe
Engine: 122 ci/1,995 cc supercharged DOHC inline 4 (rated 205 HP & 170 lb-ft)
Transmission: ZF DS25/2 5-speed manual
Layout: Mid-engine, Rear-drive​

Sub zero. Not big on the I4 as I feel it takes away from what would be an otherwise awesome car but its not enough to alter my rating.

But you all knew that.

Absolutely and completely subzero. Before the sport got bludgeoned with the brute ugliness that is the Quattro, there was this, winning the last WRC title for rear-drive cars. Pictures don't relay its diminutive nature, either; this thing's only as long as an NA Miata. It's fit for fighting purpose too, with a small, light, powerful engine in the back.

One of the all-time greats, even if it is overshadowed by the more popular machines on either side of it in Lancia's rallying history.

I see no reason it can't be sub-zero. For all of the reasons above. One of the legendary names under the Lancia flag.

May it be placed in the center of the arctic.

Road-going Group B car. What did I vote for the RS200 again? Ah yes, Sub Zero. Ditto. To save you the time, I'll be voting the same for the Metro 6R4, Audi Sport Quattro, Peugeot 205 T16 and others when they come up...

Also, Lancia. Already a cool badge for its previous and subsequent hits.

They made a road-going version of this beast?

And sold these cars to living breathing human beings?

-

Never mind my vote, I'm going out to see how much my kidneys are worth...
Someone told me you can get between $10,000-$20,000 if you donate a testicle and its not unheard of to get $35,000 or more :sly:

SZ.

As for production figures, Group B regs mean at least 200 should have been made. Wiki quotes Pininfarina build records as 220 being produced in Stradale spec. Whether the competition versions were converted from road-spec cars is anyones guess.

Looks like a kit car that was built by an ape, likely to show typical Lancia unreliability on the road, stubbornly stuck with RWD whilst everyone else went 4WD and was ultimately fighting a losing battle by 1984. Doesn't have the special something that makes the Stratos and Delta Integrale so great. Uncool.

Looks like a kit car that was built by an ape, likely to show typical Lancia unreliability on the road, stubbornly stuck with RWD whilst everyone else went 4WD and was ultimately fighting a losing battle by 1984. Doesn't have the special something that makes the Stratos and Delta Integrale so great. Uncool.

This.

Being a Group B car means nothing to me.

Uncool.

It was built by Pininfarina not Lancia. There's no reason to believe it would follow that particular 'Lancia reliability' stereotype.

They didn't 'stubbornly stick' with RWD, Audi was the only AWD rally car at the time and the 037 was probably already well into development by the time the Quattro had proved it's worth.

It was also pretty much the first proper Group B car too, not just an adapted regular production car. That alone makes it special.

Agreed with TheCracker. Plus besting an AWD rival to grad the manufacturers' title and being the last RWD car to do so makes it more than a meaningless Group B car in my eyes.

And I've never liked the rear end on the Stradale personally. Whereas the rally spec 037 looked mean from virtually any angle. But they're both very cool-looking creations.

Last edited:
The fact is, much as I love 4WD as a drivetrain period, I have to give this car credit as the last RWD to win the WRC.

And when I saw one of these at a motor show once before, the fact was, even though I had only seen and known about it a couple of times, I recognised it instantly and simply could not turn myself away from it.

Obviously the Stratos is even more favoured by most because of its mad yet beautiful styling, and the Delta was both one of the big signifiers of Group B and even afterwards a big force in the new WRC. But the 037, the middle ground, is surprisingly less appreciated than the two. It's my favourite of the three though, by many, many miles.

That's why I felt the need to nominate it. It's absolutely in my top 10 favourites ever, possibly even top 5. Of those favourites, it's probably the coolest. And that's why it's sub-zero. Or, as it might appear, even further than that...I would put it in there too.

Back