• Poll closed .
United States
Wasilla, AK
1984-1987 Honda Civic Si nominated by Downhill Dino

autowp_ru_honda_civic_si_33.jpg

Stats:
Production: 1984-1987
Style: 3-door hatchback, 4-door sedan
Engine: EW4/D15A3 91 ci/1,488 cc naturally aspirated OHC inline 4 (rated 91 HP & 93 lb-ft), ZC1/D16A1 97 ci/1,590 cc naturally aspirated DOHC inline 4 (rated 122 HP & 100 lb-ft)
Transmission: 4-speed manual, 5-speed manual
Layout: Front-engine, front-drive
Related: Acura Integra, Honda Ballade, Honda Civic, Honda CRX, Honda Integra, Honda Quint, Rover 200 Triumph Acclaim​

My take? It's not just a Honda, it's a Civic... and not even, really, a fast Civic (except by the standards of the time). Also help start a trend towards small-displacement "performance" cars in the U.S., and then became associated with outlandish FnF-style exterior modifications (though not to the same extent as the 92-95 and 96-00 models). There's only one place for this car.

Not even a B series engine in the lineup.

Doesn't look much, and probably not that fast in a straight line.

I like it, cool.

Uncool, I don't think I've ever seen one that didn't look like it was falling apart or didn't have one of those signs pizza delivery drivers put on their roofs on it.

That being said, the fact they aren't actually falling apart and are still dependable after all this time keeps it from the seriously uncool zone.

Cool. It's light, affordable, has decent power considering the fact that Vtec wasn't even around back then, and even the non-DOCH motor revs like there's no tomorrow. And having driven one, I know that it handles like a go kart. Only thing that keeps it from being sub zero to me are the FnF/Halfords/Pep-boys customers who think that it is the sickest ride ever.

On the plus side, it isn't "Fast and Furious" fodder.

On the minus side, no B-series yet, and it's not quite as good as the car that immediately came after it.

Granted, this generation is where the Si first started, but the one right after had double-wishbones up front and the rear multi-link, as well as the first truly hot engines in the Civic, the B-series.

Somewhere between a "meh" and a "cool". Not a bad little car.

Any newer Civic would be uncool. The 1970s Civic RS is cool, IMO. This one straddles the line between being respectably old school, and just like any typical Civic; I'd enjoy one, but it isn't old enough to be cool. I go with Meh.

Great FWD car. Unfortunately most people see it as an econobox and sports driving in an econobox is uncool.

I can't even begin to consider the possibility of the merest hint of an emotional response preparing to cross my field of view.

Seriously Uncool. Civics of that age are almost always clunkers today.
But they're still on the road. The same can't be said for most cars that lived the same life.

Anyway, without the ricer crowd, it's a solid cool. But as much as I love Civics, I can only really give it a "meh" while factoring in the modified ones.

A stock one in good condition is definitely cool, though.

It's not a bad car, and I wouldn't mind owning one if the right one came along. Still not a cool car. Meh.

For starters... almost any Civic is uncool...

But this one is the most uncool of them all. Typical 80's design in here... boxy & horrible...

:yuck:

Just bury it in the Dungeon.

Seriously Uncool.

My parents had one of these before I was born, my mum told me that my dad used to make her feel carsick on the California mountain roads. They loved that car, for sure. I've always thought 80's civics were cool, even the non si versions, as they look quite good to my eye and are well built cars. So despite the fact it's a Civic, it's cool to me.

The USDM version of this car is very uncool. Not a hint of sportiness anywhere in the car. BUT I have ridden in a B18C swap into this little car and it had to be the baddest thing on 4 wheels. With such little sound deadening material the experience was awesome. I have no idea what it does 0-60 or 1/4 mile but if feels like a rocket.

Great little car.

Uncool though, for the same reason I voted uncool with the Citroen BX. In the UK at least, people won't see "fun, lightweight little hatchback", they'll see "1980s banger". It's a car that makes you look like you can't afford anything else.

I wanted to vote cool, but voted meh (should've voted uncool though) for the same reason homeforsummer posted.

I love old Hondas. I don't care how they get riced up by the wrong kind of people, but I'm saying this is Sub-Zero. I am prepared for all your rage.

Call me strange, but I like little go-kart economy cars from the 80s. I couldn't care less about what the FnF crowd does to them, or about any other stereotypes or anything like that. This particular one is light, looks alright, and the gas mileage of those little I4s doesn't hurt either. It won't win any drag races, but cars like this can be surprisingly fun if you don't go into the experience with your mind already made up.

It's a mild cool.

Uncool grocery getter, nothing sporty about it in stock form. I've owned 3 civics, 2 coupes and a 4 door and not one of them I would consider cool, I bought them because they were reliable and the nicest riding new car for the money. The little CRX from the 80's was a fun little car though.

Back