• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
United States
Wasilla, AK
1984-1991 Ferrari Testarossa nominated by doodlemonoply

modelpicture.php

Stats:
Production: 1984-1991
Style: 2-door coupe, 2-door convertible (1 officially produced)
Engine: 302 ci/4,943 cc naturally aspirated DOHC flat-12 (rated 365 HP & 333 lb-ft in 1986-early 1989 catalytic-converter-equipped European form, 375 HP & 347 lb-ft in mid 1989-1991 catalytic-converter-equipped European form, 380 HP & 354 lb-ft in U.S. form, and 385 HP & 362 lb-ft in catalytic-converter-free European form)
Transmission: 5-speed manual​

My take? Put it in McQueen's Garage. Why McQueen's Garage? Because it's the Testarossa. There is no further explanation required. Every time someone drives one, the polar ice caps expand.

It deserves it's own section of cold, this Ferrari. It's sub zero, for sure, but it's one of the hottest Ferrari's ever.

Absolutely sub zero without even thinking. For years I thought this was the coolest Ferrari ever built. Dads got a Snap On sticker in the garage with an 89 on it and I loved looking at it. His friend in Colorado has one. Awesome car.

It has a cool name, it has a 12 cylinders, it has a dogleg 5 speed shift pattern, and it best remembered from OutRun and Miami Vice.

But...

The car became synonymous with yuppies and is an icon of 1980's retro culture, and screams "I love the 80's", which drags it down. And I hate looking at it too.

Uncool.

Would have been cool if it hadn't been overshadowed by the 288 GTO and subsequent F40. Also it has that "80's rich guy" image about it.

Uncool.

Automatic Sub-Zero. Easily the second-or third-coolest Ferrari of all time.

Sub Zero.

One of the coolest Ferraris ever made.

Suddenly I miss my bright orange parachute pants and Members Only jacket.

Hey, it's not my fault someone made so many of them uncool.

Also, 4.9 litres? Pfft. I've got bottles of cooking oil that hold more than that. And 365hp from 5 litres? Were they even trying?

Yes, it might have been driven by Jordan Belford-esque arseholes from Wall Street. However, there is that inexplicable charisma it has that makes me vote Sub-Zero.

Only fairly recently cool, now they're owned by enthusiasts not wealthy non-car enthusiast knobheads. Five/ten years ago it would have been seriously uncool. People who own them now have probably bought them at their cheapest and will likely make money on them, which is cool.

Yeah, Vanilla Ice owned a Testarossa. Get that out of the way now.

However, look at the big picture. Tom Selleck spent much of the 1980's solving crimes on TV while driving a 308. In real life, he did the same thing [citation needed] but he actually drove a Testarossa. Bo Jackson owned a Testarossa. Mike Tyson owned a Testarossa. Richard Pryor owned a Testarossa. Michael Jordan owned two. After Vince Neil killed that guy drunk driving his Pantera, he owned a Testarossa. Don Johnson owned one, and while that ordinarily would be a strike against it, Enzo himself gifted it to him. Freaking Robocop owned a Testarossa. Michael Jackson did Pepsi commercials with that convertible one.

Also:
Also, 4.9 litres? Pfft. I've got bottles of cooking oil that hold more than that. And 365hp from 5 litres? Were they even trying?
You know what was within 1 cubic millimeter of the Testarossa engine? Ford 5.0. Therefore Obvious Sub-Zero irrelevant of the above.

It would've been a sub zero if this was the 80s, but it's not so it deserves a cool. This is probably one of those Ferrari's don't like that much but still would be cool to own.

Sub Zero, this is a cool car. Infact, it's one of the coolest Ferraris ever made. Those backlights and the doors... this is the definition of the word cool.

Hey, it's not my fault someone made so many of them uncool.

Sorry Sir, but I'm strongly disagreeing with you. 385 hp from 4.9 liters is not bad. You gotta remember that this was made almost 30 years ago. I've owned a '70 Cadillac, it has 7.7 liters of displacement and 375 hp on the paper. (420 IRL)
-Sonny

As of lately, I've kinda grown a strong dislike for supercars. Sure, it's fast, it's got gorgeous styling, it's a Ferrari...but I cannot shake the feeling that I'm gonna find remainders of white powder on the glove box of them. It's too damn 80s for me...too much for it's own good.

Uncool.

Hmm. I count 1 who got the joke and 1 who didn't. I must petition Jordan for sarcasm tags.

Hmm. I count 1 who got the joke and 1 who didn't. I must petition Jordan for sarcasm tags.

I guess I was the one who didn't... haha sorry. I was thinking for a little while that you couldn't be serious but... Well I apologize.

-Sonny

It's just no-one had mentioned the 73hp/litre specific output yet and I didn't want anyone to miss out and vote the wrong way as a result...

Since [the duck of sarcasm] specific output is the barometer of vehicle coolitude [/the duck of sarcasm]

Back