GTP Cool Wall: 1985-1986 Lancia Delta S4 Stradale

• Thread starter Wiegert
  • 39 comments

1985-1986 Lancia Delta S4 Stradale

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I tend to like cars with unassuming looks that hide amazing performance underneath, and this Delta S4 homologation is no exception, Instant SZ because of Group B, added by the fact that it's twincharged.

Please! I didn't even have to read beyond the thread title. Anyone with the faintest whiff of petrol about their heads should be heading straight for the Cool button at the very least. Panel gaps from hell and slab-sided awkwardness just highlight its one and only purpose. Groin fizzingly wonderful. Sub Zero.

Half as cool as an Integrale. Twice as bonkers.

Can you really call it a hatchback if you can basically remove the entire rear third of the bodywork?

It's more of a clamshell design, though half the car is basically one big hatch.

Which is exactly why it's listed as a coupe on Wiki.

Not as good-looking as the regular Delta
Good-looking is something I wouldn't say about a Delta, especially a regular Delta, which looked rather similar to most late 70s hatchbacks.

02.jpg

Easy cool, because Group B. Also, twincharged engine.

Too bad Group S never got off the ground.

This really tears me apart. On the one hand, I'd absolutely lose my marbles if I saw one and I think it's the kind of car that can only be owned by someone with a pretty big budget, an impeccable taste in cars and enough driving skills and balls to drive a car that scares me even in Dirt 3: a pretty cool guy in other words. On the other hand, it looks like 🤬. It's aesthetic concept seemingly being "Let's crash an ugly italian economy car into a Pep Boys or Autobacs super store", the rear butresses and the lines between the hood and the rear cowl ruining an otherwise likeable shape. It's too loud, too brash, too fast and too obscure to be understood by your regular passerby, much less appreciated.

I'm sorry, but it's Seriously Uncool. I know previous Gr. B homologation specials have fared well in our Cool Wall but that may've been a mistake in hindsight!

Back