GTP Cool Wall: 1985-1988 Chevrolet Sprint Turbo/Suzuki Cultus

  • Thread starter Thread starter GranTurismo916
  • 34 comments
  • 9,516 views

1985-1988 Chevrolet Sprint Turbo/Suzuki Cultus


  • Total voters
    104
  • Poll closed .
Messages
15,456
United States
Orange County, NY
Messages
GTP_GT916
Messages
Nii916
1985-1988 Chevrolet Sprint Turbo/Suzuki Cultus nominated by @jeffgoddin
chevroletsprint_01_1500-700x465-jpg.300774


Engines:
1.0L Turbo I3
Power: 70 hp
Torque: 78 lb-ft.
Weight: 770 kg
Transmission: 5-speed manual
Drivetrain: Front engine, front wheel drive
Body Styles: 3-door hatchback
Additional Info: Hemming's blog​
Chevrolet_Sprint_Turbo.jpg

1987-Chevrolet-Sprint-Turbo.jpg

173bh4154_ChevySprintTurbo-SuzukiCultus-640x426.jpg

ChevroletSprint_02_1500.jpg

Sprint_Drivers_F.JPG

1987_My_Chevy_Sprint_New_Dash_-_September_17_2007-500x375.jpg
 
Probably great fun. Also probably quite awful. It looks like someone tried to make a March Super Turbo on a very, very tight budget. Tight by K10 Micra standards. SU because it looks very cheap and quite dreary.
 
Seriously uncool. Ugly little hatchback.
 
That intake is very conservative for an 80s Turbo.

Either way I think ill put this at a meh.
 

Gotta love what Pikes Peak can do to a car, huh?

As for this Cultus, it's not that bad. I bet it must bring its drivers great joy wheh they are driving around some tight mountain road. But a Chevy version is probably a rather cheaply-done import, and the chances of finding a good Cultus these days is probably the size of a toothpick.

It isn't SU because of Pikes Peak career and rather interesting sporty looks, but the fact that the Swift GTI exists and is a tad bit better drops its rating to a Uncool. I wouldn't mind owning one, mind you.
 
Sounds like a turbocharged Aygo. But looks like a late 80s Sunny hatchback with a bonnet gap axe wound and MG Metro wheel covers.

Seriously Uncool.
 
What a horrible looking thing.
 
Saw one a while back for the first time, and I like little hatches, and cars I've never seen before, so I looked it up. The Hemmings review was quite positive and that solidified my initial opinion that this little car is pretty cool.
 
Seriously Uncool.
 
Suzuki's crappy half-assed attempt at an 80's turbo hot hatch. With asymmetry.

Seriously, Seriously Uncool.
 
Last edited:
Chevy's crappy half-assed attempt at an 80's turbo hot hatch. With asymmetry.

Seriously, Seriously Uncool.
*Suzuki

Chevy only put the badges on it.
 
Ticks a number of "Cool" boxes for me. Rare now, and I think it looks just fine (I like asymmetry hey), not hugely powerful but weighs about the same as a hair and has a 5-speed box. If the figure of 8.7s for 0-60 is to be believed too, this car seems a ton of fun.
 
I have a strange obsession for it. Love it, Sub zero. Probably will get hate for saying that but hey, different strokes for different folks.
 
latest



There are many similar cars that are cooler than this however. Uncool, but not a bad attempt.
 
Last edited:
A little featherweight turbo 3-pot with a little bit of rally history from possibly the coolest decade for cars...that's plenty of ingredients for Cool.

At one of the last car shows I attended, I was drawn to a 1983 Plymouth Colt Turbo over all the typical '50s-'60s american iron. One of these would catch my eye, too.
 
Looks like junk, so uncool. Far too innocuous to be seriously uncool however.
 
A lot of the time when I try to load up this page, my browser just gives up. Saying AND I QUOTE "He'd dead Jim". No other thread just this one.
 
80's Japanese Turbo tech. Fun in a small package.

Cool.
 
One for the questionable mods thread perhaps.

The Micra Turbo was mentioned above and as soon as I noticed I instantly remembered it was better.
But hey. This has at least got something to spice it up from cringy mediocrity. Meh.
 
I remember these badged as Pontiac Fireflies back in the day, though they probably didn't have the turbo engine. A pastor that lived in my little town growing up owned one. His daughter was... adventurous.

For being a part of my first visit to second base, I don't want to vote this anything less than Cool, but once I take off the glasses, this penalty box doesn't have much going for it.
 
Uncle used to own one.

And then he bought a Swift.
 
70hp from a 1.0L Turbo I-3 isn't too bad for '80s engineering.
It makes more power than my Up although that doesnt have a turbo.

But it's still uncool.
 
This thing screams the word fun. I don't want to vote this anything less than Cool. Yes it's not particularly good looking nor reliable, but it's fun and it's a grin maker. I'd, personally, look twice at one and think "somebody drives a Cultus, neat! The owner is ballsy and cool".

Cool.
 
I remember these badged as Pontiac Fireflies back in the day, though they probably didn't have the turbo engine. A pastor that lived in my little town growing up owned one. His daughter was... adventurous.

For being a part of my first visit to second base, I don't want to vote this anything less than Cool, but once I take off the glasses, this penalty box doesn't have much going for it.

This actually swung my vote. Cool because Slip's a sly dog :sly:
 
Back