Orange County, NY
GTP_GT916
Nii916
1985-1991 Subaru XT nominated by @SVX
0700000010026_2-700x346.jpg

Engines:
1.8L H4 (EA82), 1.8L Turbo H4 (EA82T)
Power: EA82: 97 hp; EA82T: 112 hp; EA82T (EU): 134 hp
Torque: EA82: 103 lb-ft.; EA82T: 143 lb-ft.; EA82T (EU): 145 lb-ft.
Weight: 1130 kg (gross)
Transmission: 4-speed automatic, 5-speed manual
Drivetrain: Front engine, front wheel drive; Front engine, four wheel drive
Body Styles: 2-door coupe
Additional Info:
Also called:

• Subaru Alcyone (Japan)​
  • Subaru Vortex (Australia & New Zealand)​
Special Features:

• Retractable door-handle flaps​
  • Single front wiper blade​
  • Steering wheel with a single vertical and a single horizontal spoke​
  • Pistol-grip shifter​
  • an ECU for engine and transmission management (common on current vehicles)​
  • Steering wheel with both tilt and reach/depth adjustment (common on current vehicles)​
  • Instrument cluster that tilted with the steering wheel​
Furthermore, some models were equipped with additional features:​

• Digital instrument cluster that tilted with the steering wheel​
  • Headlight Washers (seen on various luxury cars of the last decade)​
  • Trip computer with range/fuel management facilities (common on current vehicles)​
  • Pneumatic suspension with height control (common on some current vehicles, supercars and purpose built race cars)​
  • Push-button four-wheel drive (later changed to all-wheel drive)​
  • Hill holder brake system, prevented rolling on hills in the manual transmission version.​
These also had an awesome video advertisement:​

1920px-Subaru-XT6.jpg

SEMA2011-23_SubaruXT_Alcyone.jpg

1986-subaru-xt-coupe-rear-three-quarters.jpg.jpg

autowp.ru_subaru_alcyone_3.jpg

1986-Subaru-XT-Turbo-Alcyone-restoration-18.jpg

subaru-xt-rd-71-fh.jpg

CC-36-126-1200.jpg

First of all, is it just me or is the text oddly formatted? I see a lot of black dots (the ones you use to make a list), and the video that SVX mentions is nowhere to be seen. Just pointing that out.

As for the XT, I recognize it more as the Alcyone, but never mind that. It's so 1980's you could play music in it and instantly get a boombox. But it has pop-up headlights (which I like), and some really cool gizmos. The blue car in the pictures (the one with the Subaru license plates, which I'm sure it's owned by the company itself) looks really unique, right down to its rims. I'd say it's cool, but just barely. I wouldn't mind owning one myself, people would all turn their heads, even if it is whiteware.

And yes, the interior is amazing. Makes a Citroen look average by comparison. Does the dash speak to you, like an Austin car from the eighties? :lol:

First of all, is it just me or is the text oddly formatted? I see a lot of black dots (the ones you use to make a list), and the video that SVX mentions is nowhere to be seen. Just pointing that out.

That was my fault, partly. The nomination I created had that issue, I wanted the text centred but with bullet-points and it came out a bit awkwardly.

That aside, very much looking forward to seeing this how it pans out. A few votes have already surprised me. :lol:

SVX
That was my fault, partly. The nomination I created had that issue, I wanted the text centred but with bullet-points and it came out a bit awkwardly.

That aside, very much looking forward to seeing this how it pans out. A few votes have already surprised me. :lol:

Fair enough. Just be careful with that next time. 👍

What, you're surprised that people think this is cool? :lol:

On a side note, that video you shared is amazing stuff. Is it wrong that I liked it? I would love to have a "push for 4WD" button, that resembles a fighter jet if you ask me, haha. And the music is so cheesy, in fact the whole ad is.

"I thought we'd agree that you'd buy a Subaru."
"But dad... I did."

Aged dreadfully. Nowhere near as sleek or refined as the SVX and rare as balls (not sure if that's the case in Australasia).

Sub Zero. It's a 'futuristic' wedge with period character that vehicles like the Volvo 480 and certain early 80s Citroens have in spades. Inside and out.

Last edited:
Sub zero justy by looking at the interior, and the wheels. Wedge-shape. Pop-ups. Oddball. Yeah.

I would say cool by it's interior alone, but the insanely long butt of the car looks weird from the outside.

My neighbor across the street had one growing up. Didn't think it was cool back then either.

It is so delightfully 80's though, so I'll give it a meh.

Even when it was new this was so over the top as an 80s cliche that it stuck out. 30 years later I'd say it would draw legitimate approving looks because it's so nuts it looks like something from movie.

When my mom was young in the eighties, she wanted a Mazda RX-7. But when she tried to get approved for a loan to buy one, she couldn't get it. So she compromised and bought a maroon XT Coupe instead. The two things she remembers most about it are that one time the windows got stuck down in a snowy area, and that the gauge cluster would light up when the turbo was being used.

Upon first view = uncool look at that back end

First view of the interior = it has a pistol grip gearstick, digital dash and a one of the weirdest steering wheels I've ever seen. Meh

Reading the specs = wow it had all these on it back in the '80s? Cool.

Watching that advert = Christ, I'll bet even back then it was unapologetically '80s.

Final verdict. SZ and I'm not embarrased.

That steering wheel alone makes me want to drive it. And then you're telling me I get to play Rad Racer on the instrument panel too? Cooooool.

sub Zero because 80's wedge-shaped coupe with digital gauge cluster and pistol grip shifter. Also, wasn't this available with 6-cyl boxer motor?

Back